bang average/ opportunity blown

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derby have a few good players but an awful team. Burnley on the other hand have few real standout players but a decent Championship team. They're better than us.

With the right system/playing style and few changes here and there, we would be better than them.

But as things stand, they're deservedly ahead.

As for the quaity of the league. I'm surprised Hull and Boro aren't further ahead. It's a really poor standard league and those two have decent squads and managers for this level.

Hull seem to dominate every week but find a way of not winning.

On 2 March 2016 at 15:06, eddie said:

Based upon what measure? How can you tell?

Have you watched our games this season and games on sky? 

God, I watched Hull tonight and they were woeful. They'd of gone top with a win.

The fact we're still within reach of the top 2 and actually in the top 6 is hilarious 

13 hours ago, ClaretMatt said:

Brilliant.

Mediocre and workmanlike?  I mean, I get you're bitter and blinkered but still...  If we were to do a best XI comparison on ability it would be at least a 50/50 split (or as close as you can get with 11) IMO.

Carson/Heaton - Heaton

Christie/Lowton - Lowton

Forsyth/Warnock/Olsson/Ward - Ward

Shackell/Mee - Close one but on top form I'd say Shackell (I'd rather have Ben "Unbreakable" Mee but that's a biased view)

Keogh/Keane - Keane

Thorne/Barton - Barton now, Thorne obviously a better long term prospect

Hughes/Jones -  Hughes

Russell/Arfield - Arfield

Ince/Boyd - Ince

Martin/Gray - Gray

Bryson/Butterfield/Vokes - Hard comparison as we don't play same formations, I'll give the edge to Butterfield/Bryson

Feel free to pick holes in this but I see it (trying not to be biased) as 7 to 4 in favour of Burnley.

The season's far from over and I don't think we're in the driving seat, with games in hand I'd say we're still 3rd favourites for automatic promotion very (very) closely followed by Brighton.  I wouldn't write off the competition at this stage or say other teams are bang average - surely more money has been spent by sides this season than ever before and there are some top quality players about.  Just because you're frustrated your season has faltered (definitely not over) is no reason to start labeling the league poor.

Burnley are workmanlike. Strong defensively and percentage balls

Whether your better than us or not is irrelevant to how Burnley play. 

We don't even have a style anymore. It's a mess of everything. Totally disjointed

5 hours ago, North_Stand_Ram said:

Have you watched our games this season and games on sky? 

God, I watched Hull tonight and they were woeful. They'd of gone top with a win.

The fact we're still within reach of the top 2 and actually in the top 6 is hilarious 

Ah, right - I thought so. Runes and tea-leaves.

I suppose that you think that the standard of the premier league is shocking this year too because nobody can knock Leicester off the top, and therefore the standard of the Champions League this season is shocking as well because three of the sides struggling below Leicester are still in it.

I asked you 'based upon what measure'. You are implying that there has been a 'levelling down' because a team near the top didn't have a great game - despite battering for long periods the team that beat them, as the statistics bear out - oh, but statistics count for nothing, of course.

Inconsistency is the real answer to Eddie question, now you may wish to define inconsistency within the top 6 teams  as they are all poor and are just not good enough to stand out against the rest of the top 6 constantly?

Alternatively you may to define the inconsistency between the top 6 as they are all equal and are all as good as each other.

Horses for courses, I am pink therefore I am spam.....................

4 hours ago, toddy said:

Inconsistency is the real answer to Eddie question, now you may wish to define inconsistency within the top 6 teams  as they are all poor and are just not good enough to stand out against the rest of the top 6 constantly?

Alternatively you may to define the inconsistency between the top 6 as they are all equal and are all as good as each other.

Horses for courses, I am pink therefore I am spam.....................

More or less agree.

There has been a levelling - but I don't necessarily think that is detrimental to the league as a whole. There is certainly no stand-out team this season, but similarly, there are no mugs either. I think that the distinction between 'strong' and 'weak' teams in the championship is much finer than it was.

13 hours ago, Alpha said:

Burnley are workmanlike. Strong defensively and percentage balls

Whether your better than us or not is irrelevant to how Burnley play. 

We don't even have a style anymore. It's a mess of everything. Totally disjointed

There's a difference between being workmanlike and being hardworking.  We are strong defensively but saying we are merely that plus percentage balls is bordering on myopic.  I wouldn't presume to write off Derby as a certain style based on the few games I've seen.

Here's a link to our most recent goals (out of respect I've cut out the one's against Derby).  Tell me how many of these you would consider came from percentage balls?  More than anything they highlight we are a counter attacking team that scores a lot from the wings (also from throw ins which is funny because before I started going through our goals I thought we were crap at throw ins).

@eddie has hit the nail on the head.  The majority of teams are quite close to each other so I suppose, mathematically speaking, you could say the league is average, but that average is higher than previous seasons, more teams are closer to the average and it's making for a much more closely contested promotion race.

Most importantly, the Championship is nowhere near done yet and I still am far from confident my precious Burnley will be in the automatic places come the end of the season, we've all enough experience of this league to know it isn't over until it's over.

20 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Sorry guys i have been busy lately i think are most fluckly side this season i mean burnley i cannot stand sight of them.

I'm sorry but WTF!!?!??!?!?  That's the best you can come up with to slate them???  You're never this polite about them, man up and give the man some grief...

3 hours ago, ClaretMatt said:

There's a difference between being workmanlike and being hardworking.  We are strong defensively but saying we are merely that plus percentage balls is bordering on myopic.  I wouldn't presume to write off Derby as a certain style based on the few games I've seen.

Here's a link to our most recent goals (out of respect I've cut out the one's against Derby).  Tell me how many of these you would consider came from percentage balls?  More than anything they highlight we are a counter attacking team that scores a lot from the wings (also from throw ins which is funny because before I started going through our goals I thought we were crap at throw ins).

@eddie has hit the nail on the head.  The majority of teams are quite close to each other so I suppose, mathematically speaking, you could say the league is average, but that average is higher than previous seasons, more teams are closer to the average and it's making for a much more closely contested promotion race.

Most importantly, the Championship is nowhere near done yet and I still am far from confident my precious Burnley will be in the automatic places come the end of the season, we've all enough experience of this league to know it isn't over until it's over.

I've seen Burnley play lots of times. It's percentage football. Ipswich could probably pull out 5 goals that look like Barcelona but they're still an impressively hard working percentage team. 

I just looked to see if stats can back me up here. Burnley are third for most longballs in the league (Ipswich top, Preston second). Burnley average 47% possession and a 69% pass accuracy. Dribbling? Third from bottom behind Ipswich and Preston again. For accurate short passes for the total season Burnley are 15th. For INACCURATE long balls Burnley are 6th

You probably think this is football snobbery. It's not. No style deserves to win over another style. The team who passes the best doesn't win and it'd be boring if it was so. But it's not snobbery to call a team what it is. And Burnley don't have the ball and then get it forward long and quickly when they do. So its not controlled and measured. 

I can tell you how Derby play. And it's not like Barcelona either. But we're opposite to Burnley in almost every way. But when I say this it sounds like snobbery because nobody likes to admit to percentage football. It's not snobbery because you're better at what you do than we are at what we do. We're trying to play fast short football with a handful of slow thinkers who don't look up. You're playing a grafting game with grafters and disciplined players. It makes us look stupid. Defending is part of the game. 

You will finish ahead of us. And it will be deserved

There's a team in the PL that are giving football snobs a right good kicking. Leicester are one of the weakest possession sides in the PL.

I wasn't criticising. 

10 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I've seen Burnley play lots of times. It's percentage football. Ipswich could probably pull out 5 goals that look like Barcelona but they're still an impressively hard working percentage team. 

I just looked to see if stats can back me up here. Burnley are third for most longballs in the league (Ipswich top, Preston second). Burnley average 47% possession and a 69% pass accuracy. Dribbling? Third from bottom behind Ipswich and Preston again. For accurate short passes for the total season Burnley are 15th. For INACCURATE long balls Burnley are 6th

You probably think this is football snobbery. It's not. No style deserves to win over another style. The team who passes the best doesn't win and it'd be boring if it was so. But it's not snobbery to call a team what it is. And Burnley don't have the ball and then get it forward long and quickly when they do. So its not controlled and measured. 

I can tell you how Derby play. And it's not like Barcelona either. But we're opposite to Burnley in almost every way. But when I say this it sounds like snobbery because nobody likes to admit to percentage football. It's not snobbery because you're better at what you do than we are at what we do. We're trying to play fast short football with a handful of slow thinkers who don't look up. You're playing a grafting game with grafters and disciplined players. It makes us look stupid. Defending is part of the game. 

You will finish ahead of us. And it will be deserved

There's a team in the PL that are giving football snobs a right good kicking. Leicester are one of the weakest passing and possession sides in the PL.

I wasn't criticising. 

If you think about it, we played percentage football - or rather, percentages football - under PC. Keep the ball, keep the ball, keep the ball, keep the ball, keep the ball, lose the ball, concede.

24 minutes ago, eddie said:

If you think about it, we played percentage football - or rather, percentages football - under PC. Keep the ball, keep the ball, keep the ball, keep the ball, keep the ball, lose the ball, concede.

From boro onwards yes, before that we were pretty sturdy at the back and didn't concede a goal for several matches, I think??

We were going through our bad patch, had a chairman who decided to walk into the changing room, rollock all the staff and also in the process was giving demands to change our ways.  I think it's safe to say, that MM wasn't happy with winning 1-0 the way we were, and putting results before performances, and you are right, we didn't like playing "percentage" balls, and as a result were tedious to watch.

It will be intresting to see how we line up tommorow, my concern is that DW is more defensive in the team he puts out than PC. He may instruct quicker football (debate on if it works or not) but the set up of his team to me, is more aligned to stopping the opposition playing, than us imposing our game in an attacking way.

Time will tell, but I would be suprised to see someone like camara start, and I feel he needs a good attacking start to give a lift to the crowd....fingers crossed. 

Archived