bang average/ opportunity blown

22 minutes ago, HKRam said:

Good post.

Bur we won't be too far off from the 120; just need to keep spending the way we did in the last two transfer windows.

Nailed-on then

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

No one wants it apart from most mediocre, workmanlike but well organised side in the division. Granted they have the best striker in the league but it says a lot about the quality of the challengers that they top the pile. We have missed probably the best chance we will ever get due to inconsistency of all but Burnley. 

Brilliant.

Mediocre and workmanlike?  I mean, I get you're bitter and blinkered but still...  If we were to do a best XI comparison on ability it would be at least a 50/50 split (or as close as you can get with 11) IMO.

Carson/Heaton - Heaton

Christie/Lowton - Lowton

Forsyth/Warnock/Olsson/Ward - Ward

Shackell/Mee - Close one but on top form I'd say Shackell (I'd rather have Ben "Unbreakable" Mee but that's a biased view)

Keogh/Keane - Keane

Thorne/Barton - Barton now, Thorne obviously a better long term prospect

Hughes/Jones -  Hughes

Russell/Arfield - Arfield

Ince/Boyd - Ince

Martin/Gray - Gray

Bryson/Butterfield/Vokes - Hard comparison as we don't play same formations, I'll give the edge to Butterfield/Bryson

Feel free to pick holes in this but I see it (trying not to be biased) as 7 to 4 in favour of Burnley.

The season's far from over and I don't think we're in the driving seat, with games in hand I'd say we're still 3rd favourites for automatic promotion very (very) closely followed by Brighton.  I wouldn't write off the competition at this stage or say other teams are bang average - surely more money has been spent by sides this season than ever before and there are some top quality players about.  Just because you're frustrated your season has faltered (definitely not over) is no reason to start labeling the league poor.

2 minutes ago, ClaretMatt said:

Keogh/Keane - Keane

Makes me laugh every time this one :lol:

I'm not taking the mickey, I can see from the way he's played for you why Burnley  fans often say this. I would still say Keogh over the Michael Keane that's played as well as he has for Burnley, but that's just me. It is a close one.

But it makes me laugh remembering how he was for us. He looked like a League Two defender with a Premier League level offensive header on him. Incredible how highly he's regarded at Burnley when he was so pants here.

18 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Makes me laugh every time this one :lol:

I'm not taking the mickey, I can see from the way he's played for you why Burnley  fans often say this. I would still say Keogh over the Michael Keane that's played as well as he has for Burnley, but that's just me. It is a close one.

But it makes me laugh remembering how he was for us. He looked like a League Two defender with a Premier League level offensive header on him. Incredible how highly he's regarded at Burnley when he was so pants here.

It was 7 games, 2 years ago, when he was 20, and I think central defence is the hardest part of a team to slot into part way into a season because organisation and understanding between players is absolutely key.  He's been nothing short of fantastic for us all season whereas I only tend to see negative comments about Keogh on here and any good performance by him is credited to Shackell's influence.  That's why I went for Keane.

10 minutes ago, ClaretMatt said:

It was 7 games, 2 years ago, when he was 20, and I think central defence is the hardest part of a team to slot into part way into a season because organisation and understanding between players is absolutely key.  He's been nothing short of fantastic for us all season whereas I only tend to see negative comments about Keogh on here and any good performance by him is credited to Shackell's influence.  That's why I went for Keane.

Can't blame you for that to be fair matt. 

Forum is somewhat skewed towards keogh critics in my opinion. 

As a fan of his I'm usually quieter as I reckon a number of others are☺

Keane certainly now a much improved player. Is that dyches coaching being as cb is his position? 

38 minutes ago, ClaretMatt said:

Carson/Heaton - Heaton

Christie/Lowton - Lowton

Shackell/Mee - Close one but on top form I'd say Shackell (I'd rather have Ben "Unbreakable" Mee but that's a biased view)

Keogh/Keane - Keane

Hughes/Jones -  Hughes

Ince/Boyd - Ince

Martin/Gray - Gray

Bryson/Butterfield/Vokes - Hard comparison as we don't play same formations, I'll give the edge to Butterfield/Bryson

Fair enough.

But don't forget we have Bradley Johnson, Andre Weimann, Nick Blackman, Andre Camara, Darren Bent, Ssewankambo, and of course Wassall and Uncle Mel.

So I would say we're even, you Burnley fan.

6 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Can't blame you for that to be fair matt. 

Forum is somewhat skewed towards keogh critics in my opinion. 

As a fan of his I'm usually quieter as I reckon a number of others are☺

Keane certainly now a much improved player. Is that dyches coaching being as cb is his position? 

Coaching by Dyche, learning alongside Jason Shackell and Michael Duff but mostly I think it's down to playing experience.  When he played for you he'd made less than 30 league appearances in his entire career.  Since then he's played Premier League football, has been first choice in the Championship this season and is approaching 100 career league appearances.  It's very rare a young central defender will flourish thrown in at the deep end, the only one I've seen at Burnley able to do that was Gary Cahill (even he took a run of games to get up to speed) and look at the career he's had/having.

7 minutes ago, HKRam said:

Fair enough.

But don't forget we have Bradley Johnson, Andre Weimann, Nick Blackman, Andre Camara, Darren Bent, Ssewankambo, and of course Wassall and Uncle Mel.

So I would say we're even, you Burnley fan.

No you don't

5 minutes ago, ClaretMatt said:

No you don't

Oops! I replace that Ssewankambo with Sam Rush, then. Yeah both are missing but Sam Rush is arguably even more important. So we're still even.

And I have no problem staying down in the Championship seeing you will come right back down anyway. True, you might still be better off financially given the new TV deal and the parachute payment. But don't forget we have Uncle Mel + Sam Rush + Wassall golden triangle so we will only go up in our Derby Way.

COYR!

'My team has the best squad and only isn't walking the league due to x and y' strikes again. Every club has a ton of fans who take this view.

It's pretty impossible not to be biased when you watch your team every week and only see snippets of your opposition, and trying to compare our two squads is futile. How many of Leicester's squad would get into the Chelsea team?

2 hours ago, ClaretMatt said:

Brilliant.

Mediocre and workmanlike?  I mean, I get you're bitter and blinkered but still...  If we were to do a best XI comparison on ability it would be at least a 50/50 split (or as close as you can get with 11) IMO.

Carson/Heaton - Heaton

Christie/Lowton - Lowton

Keogh/Keane - Keane

Hughes/Jones -  Hughes

Ince/Boyd - Ince

Martin/Gray - Gray

Feel free to pick holes in this but I see it (trying not to be biased) as 7 to 4 in favour of Burnley.

The season's far from over and I don't think we're in the driving seat, with games in hand I'd say we're still 3rd favourites for automatic promotion very (very) closely followed by Brighton.  I wouldn't write off the competition at this stage or say other teams are bang average - surely more money has been spent by sides this season than ever before and there are some top quality players about.  Just because you're frustrated your season has faltered (definitely not over) is no reason to start labeling the league poor.

I want to know what @B4ev6is thinks of this...  B4, B4, where are you mate???  There's a Burnley fan saying they're a good team..  B4!!!  B4!!!!!!!

21 hours ago, Alpha said:

The classic "we don't want promotion" quote appears in another thread.

Amazes me. 

If I said I was coaching your kids and the objective was to make them better footballers. To understand their own roles and positions and then to learn the roles and positions of all other players so they can understand how they can effect how another player might perform. To learn how to play in tight situations. To never 'get rid' of the ball. Because the aim isn't to win today. The aim is to improve. Constantly learn and improve and be super confident and unfazed by errors. So that winning is easier and natural in the future.

If I said that was what I was teaching young kids what would you say?

I'll tell you what you'd say.

"That guy doesn't want my lad to win"

Because you couldn't see the point if I was poking you in the eye with it. 

Same applies with Derby. 

Billy Davies Barmy Army!!

Really, is that what Mel said? He doesn't want us winning games anymore?

His lack of ambition is unbelievable!

This one was the funniest.

he is awful for ireland and was for Wolves nearly went down twice in 2 seasons with them.

I would rather any of Forsyth/Warnock/Olsson/ over shitty big nosed Ward.

Forsyth and warnock are better in defence and going forward, olsson is better going forward.

Archived