Will Jamie Wards hamstring heal before the hamstrung Derby

Curtains

5 minutes ago, Anon said:

1 goal every 4 games playing almost exclusively as a winger. I'll take that.

It makes me laugh that willingness to run at his fullback is still used as a criticism of Ward, yet people scratch their heads and wonder why we're so much more negative/pragmatic this season. A wingers job is to take risks in possession and actually try and create openings. Ball retention stats for wide players are completely misleading and trumpeted as a positive by people who seem unable to correlate stats and figures to what is actually happening on the pitch.

I didn't dislike Jamie but his big problem is his hamstring injuries.  

I don't think he will make the IPRO on the 19th of March  Rams vs  Red Dog clash through injury but we will see.  

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, curtains said:

I didn't dislike Jamie but his big problem is his hamstring injuries.

I don't think he will make the IPRO on the 19th of March  Rams vs  Red Dog clash through injury but we will see.

I will concede that his hamstrings do seem to be becoming a bigger and bigger issue for him. As Hughes' Hair said, I hope he isn't fit for our game as we'll have a much better chance of winning if he's not on the pitch.

6 minutes ago, Anon said:

I will concede that his hamstrings do seem to be becoming a bigger and bigger issue for him. As Hughes' Hair said, I hope he isn't fit for our game as we'll have a much better chance of winning if he's not on the pitch.

I agree I'd much rather he didn't play against us   

Biggest local Derby in years. 

Derby fans will be all smiles again when we win it  

Ward leaving at the time was right for all parties in my view. He now seems better than he was because his replacements have been so inadequate.

Often mardy, often incapable of passing to another Derby player, often having speculative shots from 30 yards that went 10 yards wide.

Plus he was such a c*** of a player wasn't he?

Not all bad though; the sight of him hugging the touchline before going past two players and beating Lee Camp at his near post before giving it the big 'un to the incensed Red Dogs in the ten men game will live long in the memory, as will his header(!) at Watford in one of McClaren's first games in charge.

This just seems a case so typical of Derby fans towards ex-players. We let them go after they've served their purpose, then when the replacements aren't quite up to it, the previous player was a world beater and we shouldn't have let them go. No, we should have replaced them with someone better!

I'd rather he didn't play because he's probably one of Forest's better players and if he scored against us some nob would probably run on the pitch and punch him.

3 hours ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

If it wasn't for his hamstrings, he'd have played more of his career in the top flight.  Getting rid was a mistake in my view, and I definitely prefer the idea of him not playing against us.

Even with perfect hamstrings he wouldn't have ever played consistently in the top flight. A decent championship player (when fit) obviously popular in the dressing room, most of the time seemed to give a stuff about the result but a top flight player....no. 

1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

Ward leaving at the time was right for all parties in my view. He now seems better than he was because his replacements have been so inadequate.

Often mardy, often incapable of passing to another Derby player, often having speculative shots from 30 yards that went 10 yards wide.

Plus he was such a c*** of a player wasn't he?

Not all bad though; the sight of him hugging the touchline before going past two players and beating Lee Camp at his near post before giving it the big 'un to the incensed Red Dogs in the ten men game will live long in the memory, as will his header(!) at Watford in one of McClaren's first games in charge.

This just seems a case so typical of Derby fans towards ex-players. We let them go after they've served their purpose, then when the replacements aren't quite up to it, the previous player was a world beater and we shouldn't have let them go. No, we should have replaced them with someone better!

I'd rather he didn't play because he's probably one of Forest's better players and if he scored against us some nob would probably run on the pitch and punch him.

I agree with most of this. But at the moment I think we are missing a bit of his attitude. 

When Jamie Ward looks back on his career he will know that for his skill level, he did well for himself and played at a better level than might have been predicted. Could Tom Ince say the same? Probably not, yet. 

Jamie ward was basically our only hope in a couple of seasons under clough and served us very well even with those hamstrings if he had been used instead of lingard who knows what may have happened?. Letting him go was the right decision if we were going to improve our situation ( I know we haven't ) and fair play to him he got a four year deal at the dogs.

At the time I thought it was the right decision to let him leave but the way we've gone about replacing him I think we miss him hugely.

We miss his direct style, and most of all I think we miss his work rate and the fact that he seems to care about the club. I don't think you can say the same about a good chunk of our squad at the minute.

I hope he misses our game as well. He'll be fired up and we all know what he can play like when he's like that.

Do Derby fans have short memories? First we get a thread about bringing back Nigel Clough now we get one where people are arguing to bring back Jamie Ward.

Ward started last season well, but he was so inconsistent and spent half the season injured and it was probably the right time to move him on.  

Ward was horrendous towards the back end of last season and hasn't exactly pulled up trees at Forest.

We've seen quality players go to **** this season, I can only imagine what Ward would have been like. He's a poor man's Johnny Russell. 

10 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Ward was horrendous towards the back end of last season and hasn't exactly pulled up trees at Forest.

We've seen quality players go to **** this season, I can only imagine what Ward would have been like. He's a poor man's Johnny Russell. 

If you're going to judge all our players on a 4 month period where virtually the whole team was bad because it suits your argument then we'll end up selling almost the entire squad.

Didn't really rate him

Think he looks better now because we haven't replaced him properly. 

Which is tragic. Because he's not THAT good. 

Used to get bored of his feint feint smash it and his disgustingly rubbish set pieces. 

Was amazing for us under Nigel. And the odd game he'd look awesome. Mostly though he was just similar to Russell. Between them you'd juggle up a decent winger for most the season.

With one of them... you get about a third of the season worth of 8/10's at best and two thirds of "what exactly did he do?"

Archived