Planning for the playoffs

Carl Sagan

2 minutes ago, GenBr said:

I certainly don't think we would beat any of the other teams in the playoffs unless something drastically changes (or we could just do it by accident like we did the last time we went up).

It will be a Derby v Brighton playoff final with Derby dominating the game for 90 minutes and then Zamora will come off the bench, breakaway and score in the 90th minute.

Or, we limp into the playoffs, get to Wembley despite ourselves and we score the goal in the last minute. Would be a sort of poetic justice in this! 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, angieram said:

Or, we limp into the playoffs, get to Wembley despite ourselves and we score the goal in the last minute. Would be a sort of poetic justice in this! 

A 92nd minute Bobby Zamora own goal, deflecting a Keogh shot that was going well wide, we can but dream!

2 hours ago, GenBr said:

I would like to think we would make the playoffs, but with games like Brighton, Ipswich, Sheff Wed and Hull to come I think we might have to rely on teams around us slipping up. I certainly don't think we would beat any of the other teams in the playoffs unless something drastically changes (or we could just do it by accident like we did the last time we went up). 

If it can't be Derby I want it to be Wednesday or Brighton who go up.

It will be a Derby v Brighton playoff final with Derby dominating the game for 90 minutes and then Zamora will come off the bench, breakaway and score in the 90th minute.

Don't, that last paragraph could become more real than you may think come the 28th May. Although unless something changes dramatically within the club & dam soon, Derby making the Play Offs doesn't seem very likely I'm afraid.

Yes, bring Buxton back,  Camara on the left and watch him develop.  Confiscate Tom's cellphone and ban Paul from the stadium.  Practice offensive and defensive free kicks.  Stop counting completed passes and concentrate on tempo, mixed passing, fitness and rapid off the ball movement.  And that's just to get us to the playoffs, after that we probably have little chance.

Great to have the win today. That now means 5 more wins from the remaining 11 games should make the playoffs (75 points).

The team that finished today looked well balanced and was creating a lot of chances. The changes from the good times are Carson for Grant, Ince for Ward, Olsson for the injured Forsyth, Christie for on-loan Wisdom and Shackell in place of Bucko. With Hughes perhaps to rotate in if/when fit for the last very few games. Looking at those changes I would expect that side to work well and be challenging. It really isn't rocket science.

A lot of money spent on Johnson, Butterfield, Blackman, Camara and many more as backups.

• 2 weeks later...

Down to 4 wins from the remaining 8 games now needed. And are we seeing the seeds of a playoff-winning side beginning to merge?

• Bryon back and hungry
  • Back-to-back dominant performances from Thorne
  • Hanson at right back?
  • Bucko to improve defensive distribution with Shackell's injury?
  • Hughes getting his first run out in the Barker testimonial
  • Martin looking dangerous again
  • Ince looking dangerous again

There is still hope.

Hughes coming back is a major plus, ince has looked much better in the last 3 or 4 games which is good. 3 more wins and 2 draws might be enough, but we need to build confidence and form if we're to win them, play offs are a lotto but it'll be nice to make them this season, missing out back to back seasons after being top heading into the new year would be a kick in the teeth. 

• 2 weeks later...

When I began this thread, I was hopeful. Right now we're last of the playoff places and clinging on with our fingertips. To guarantee that place it's 4 wins needed from the remaining 7 games which is beginning to look a rather tall order.

If we miss out completely for the second season in a row, having led the division, something pretty fundamental will need to change.

Fortunately we have a game on Tuesday to put it right. They come thick and fast from now on.

Getting beaten in the semis of the Play Offs would be my highest hope for this season. Not making the Play offs will be a turgid/flaccid and putrid performance with absolutely nobody having any certainty of what has gone wrong this season.

Sadly I always felt we would finish sixth, which is poor on expectations at the start of the season but we would take it based on our current offerings if only to extend the season but we are a very long way short if we were to win the playoffs! 

Sheff Wed are in form and  we just lost to Cardiff. Can't see us finishing above either. Last day misery again.

Play offs is surely a push now? 4 wins from 7 is do-able of course particularly with the home form as it is! Its the away form thats the worry and the question is how do we turn it around?

After watching the training ground tour with Darren Wassall yesterday, i have to say i have a new admiration for the guy! Before that i wasn't sure on his legibility besides his 'personal friendship' with Mel Morris, as i actually thought he comes across quite shifty....... maybe thats down to the instant stick he got because of the Clement sacking situation and his first radio interview after the MK Dons loss...... but, i was very impressed with him on the training ground tour interview........ 

However, i think that is where his duties lie, it is clear why he is so well regarded in the academy set up and progression, and for me he looked far more comfortable talking about that than he does about anything regarding the first team! Unfortunately, i think our lack of judgement and cut-throat decision making to get a good, professional manager in following clements sacking will come back to haunt us.... I don't fancy us against any of the other teams in the play-offs either :-/

Archived