Who moves on in the summer. Who comes in?

ColonelBlimp

I do think we have too many good players, some of which don't really fit into a 433 that seems to be our preferred formation.

So, who goes and who comes in with the sale money?

Do we have too many similar wide men? (Weimann, Russell etc) or too many square peg/round hole types (Johnson, Bent) ?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grant, Baird, Shotton, Pearce, Warnock, Johnson, Weimann, Blackman, Bent, Camara should all be surplus to requirements if we're sticking with 4-3-3.

To show how bloated our squad currently is, to replace that we probably only need a right footed winger and a viable Martin alternative (why did we not sign Kermorgant?) 

I can't understand why Johnny Russell is consistently being picked to start in the first-team, or being included in the squad at all, really. Okay, he can dribble and win us a few free-kicks in a dangerous area now and again, but his end product is practically non-existent. Not to mention the infuriating amount of times he end's up losing possession in the opposition's half, which leads to us having to track back immediately to avoid conceding. For me, he is surplus to requirements at this point.

Cyrus Christie is another one that I don't believe merits his place in the team, he is so poor defensively that he is almost always targeted by the opposition as a weak link, Wolves being no exception. He is, however, quite decent going forward but I would rather have a right back that is primarily concerned with their defensive duties. A bit like Wisdom.

The others I would like to see sold are Chris Baird, Craig Forsyth, Lee Grant, Darren Bent and Richard Keogh.

As far as who I would like to see come in, I'm a big fan of Alan Judge and I think he would be a lot more effective than the wide men we have at the club currently. I think quality rather than quantity should be our priority this Summer.

Almost all of the players I would sell can't be sold because they are most likely on big contracts and have performed so badly that there will be little interest anyway and absolutely no one will want to meet their wage demands.

One thing that will properly annoy me is if more of the players I have enjoyed watching for years end up getting sold to cover the losses on the newer players.

In terms of bringing people in I just want our manager and recruitment team to be a little smarter. There are decent bargains to be had. Olsson looks a snip at £500,000 and really highlights how much we've overpaid in other areas.

8 minutes ago, Éire Ram said:

I can't understand why Johnny Russell is consistently being picked to start in the first-team, or being included in the squad at all, really. Okay, he can dribble and win us a few free-kicks in a dangerous area now and again, but his end product is practically non-existent. Not to mention the infuriating amount of times he end's up losing possession in the opposition's half, which leads to us having to track back immediately to avoid conceding. For me, he is surplus to requirements at this point.

Cyrus Christie is another one that I don't believe merits his place in the team, he is so poor defensively that he is almost always targeted by the opposition as a weak link, Wolves being no exception. He is, however, quite decent going forward but I would rather have a right back that is primarily concerned with their defensive duties. A bit like Wisdom.

The others I would like to see sold are Chris Baird, Craig Forsyth, Lee Grant, Darren Bent and Richard Keogh.

As far as who I would like to see come in, I'm a big fan of Alan Judge and I think he would be a lot more effective than the wide men we have at the club currently. I think quality rather than quantity should be our priority this Summer.

Is that a wind up? 

Keogh along with Butterfield has probably so far been a contender for our player of the year. Totally different keogh from last season. If anything if we need a new CB keep keogh & shacks and have one as a decent back up. I think recently keogh has been the better of the two centre backs

Forsyth is injured and imo is a massive loss for us very good player at this level. Based on age id rather Warnock went & olsen & forsyth fought it out for the position

Not Grants biggest fan but he's second choice & think he would be first choice for a fair few other championship sides. Dont think many other clubs have a keeper as good as grant as back up. If roos hasnt made it by now he never will. 

Also think Christie gets a lot of bad press really threatening going forward. I quite like him think he's a good player. 

Baird i agree with & id rather trim the midfield & wouldnt be bothered if wiemann went or on this seasons form russell. Reserve judgement on the rest until the end of the season 

Need to cut the crap. Grant, Baird, Shotton, Pearce, BJ, Bent, Weimann, Blackman, Camara (probably). Loan them out if they can't be sold.

Sign a guy who can spell Martin, a new back-up keeper and a good quality winger. Proper squad roles for Rawson, Hanson, Lowe and Mason Bennett. I think we could contend for promotion whilst at the same time keeping the payroll down and bringing through some guys for the future.

Desperately need a forward with proper pace, a forward who can beat a player who can finish. I would go for Dwight Gale, no one else just a forward with pace for me. 

4 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Desperately need a forward with proper pace, a forward who can beat a player who can finish. I would go for Dwight Gale, no one else just a forward with pace for me. 

He seems to be just the sort of second striker that we have no room for.

Two wingers / wide strikers with an abundance of talent would absolutely revolutionise this team.

8 hours ago, ColonelBlimp said:

I do think we have too many good players, some of which don't really fit into a 433 that seems to be our preferred formation.

So, who goes and who comes in with the sale money?

Do we have too many similar wide men? (Weimann, Russell etc) or too many square peg/round hole types (Johnson, Bent) ?

This really depends on who is the head coach next season, until then we have no square pegs round holes or preferred formation. I would like to keep hold of the entire squad and allow them time to work with the players and see which don't fit in their plans.

One of the big problems for me is how many new faces we brought in over the summer, another mass overhaul of the squad this summer won't do us any favours, especially with a new head coach and staff.

The only players I would look to move on are those that don't want to be at the club. 

Easy to criticise pretty much the entire squad and call them **** on current form, for me tho we still have one of the strongest squads in the league, just not being managed well.

We find a new manager, he decides on the system and style he wants to play and then sign/sell the players he wants. Instead of signing a load of overpriced dross, bring in a coach who doesn't really know how he wants us to play and asking him to wedge them into a system he doesn't like...

Are you listening Mr Morris?????

7 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

We find a new manager, he decides on the system and style he wants to play and then sign/sell the players he wants. Instead of signing a load of overpriced dross, bring in a coach who doesn't really know how he wants us to play and asking him to wedge them into a system he doesn't like...

Are you listening Mr Morris?????

This would be my approach - a few of the players getting mentioned here in terms of shipping out are really good players but have lost their way a little, Johson in particular. A new manager could turn that around and we get the Johnson back who was pivotal in the good run we had between Sept and Christmas.

What we don't want to be doing is chucking the baby out with the bath water...

I think it could be time for a clean break from this group, may have to sell some of the old block to reinvigorate the squad. There are too many players with failures on their cvs from the past three years.

get rid of grant, Baird, keogh (although he has improved), warnock

bryson or Hendrick (to free up space and get some money in)

russell, Weiman, bent 

i woukd see how Martin comes back in the summer (maybe time for a change up top)

try and keep Hughes for another year 

I would keep:

GK: Carson, Mitchell, Roos

RB/LB: Christie, Ssewankambo, Forsyth, Olsson

CB: Keogh, Shackell, Rawson

CM: Thorne, Hanson, Hughes, Butterfield, Hendrick, Bryson

Wingers: Ince, Camara? 

ST: Martin, Weimann? 

Camara and Weimann I haven't seen enough of in those positions to make a decision yet! 

From this I would go for another CB, 2 Wingers and maybe another ST! 

Archived