Who moves on in the summer. Who comes in?

ColonelBlimp

6 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

I'd hope that our transfer policy will become a bit more stable and less aimless next season. We have so many experienced players on big wages sitting in reserve to other players that we've had here for a long time (Bent with Martin, Baird with Christie, Pearce with Keogh, Weimann, Blackman and Camara with Russell), it's all of a result of a disjointed transfer policy.

If Mel's serious about the academy, we shouldn't be buying experienced players as back up where we don't have to. If there's an academy product who could be the back-up to the starting player, another player shouldn't be brought in ahead of them. Hanson is the most obvious example of this.

Hanson, Rawson, Lowe, Ssewankambo (technically not academy), Bennett and Zanzala should all be looking to be involved in the squad heavily next season. What's the point in having Bent on the bench when he never gets used, you may as well have an academy product sitting there gaining experience on probably 20 times less money.

I genuinely don't have a clue what I'd want to happen with the wingers, but I think it makes financial sense to give them a chance under a proper manager next year. Weimann, Russell, Ince and Blackman have all shown flashes this season and championship wingers are all so inconsistent anyway, we're not going to improve THAT much on whoever we get in as a replacement.

A suitable back-up to Martin also is needed. People seem to sometimes think this entails buying someone 'the same quality as Martin and convincing them to sit on the bench' (that's basically me paraphrasing something Mel said in a forum at the start of the season) when for me it's not about that at all. It's about buying someone who can do the basics of Martin's job, holding the ball up and being a target man. Shefki Kuqi didn't possess Martin's abilities outside holding the ball up but he still made the team play better because he could do that basic job.

If you're wondering about an attacking plan B, Zanzala, Bennett, Weimann, Blackman and Russell can all play in a front two.

Selling Bent, Shotton, Pearce, Grant and Baird seems obvious to me.

There are other players who might go, one of the midfielders is probably going to leave and Bryson or Johnson seem the most likely. The same goes for any of the wingers except Ince who I think clearly has a lot more to offer than the others.

Do you actually see Russell, Blackman, Ince and Weimann as being wingers rather than central strikers? The only natural winger we have in the first team squad is Camara but we've not seen anywhere near enough of him to determine whether he's good enough (and I've seen nothing of Callero so can't comment on him).

I guess Sammon will be out of contract in the summer so he will go - agree with Bent, Baird, Shotton, Pearce and Grant, then add Warnock, Hendrick and though it pains me to say it, Bucko (he deserves to be playing regularly but don't think he can tie down a place ahead of Shackell).

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to see a centre half who is dominant in the air. Someone like Flint at Bristol City who poses a threat at set pieces. I would also like a tackling, mobile midfielder  (Pritchard or Judge) and a quick forward like Dwight Gayle. 

Cant think of many I wouldn't let go. That's not a wrist slasher view- it's just that sometimes you have to have a spring clean just to get the team spirit right.

That's where one of the issues lies. Some users want us to carry on building the team around martin when it has got us nowhere. Even if we had messi I still get the feeling that some would want martin to start ahead of him. We are so predictable with martin. Get a ross Mccormack type player as well as proper wingers in then we'd storm the league

6 hours ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Out: Shotton, Baird, Weimann, Bent, Pearce, Warnock,

We are not going to spend another £20m on players, we can't just keep buying players to fix things. Plus the wages of some of the players like Sinclair and McCormack would be to high.

Technically we wouldnt be spending another 20 million, maybe about 9/10 million at most if we get rid of the players suggessted. Players like bent,martin,warnock,hendrick, weimann are on big wages as well so getting rid of them will clear the wage bill to buy better players. Why stick with the current group when it hasn't got us anywhere?'

5 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Get a ross Mccormack type player as well as proper wingers in then we'd storm the league

When you say storm the league what exactly do you mean? It's just that you was telling us Boro would walk the league a few weeks ago....

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

For us it is because we aren't a team and have no spirit. The players ended their seasons at xmas but not for the teams above us

Get to the bar, you need a top up, glass is half empty and I hate drinking alone

4 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I already drank my sorrows away yesterday :unsure: Didn't help that the game was an early kick off so had more time and wasted more money to wash these sorrows away 

You should have been like me - get stuck on the car park in Wolverhampton. That burned a couple of hours.

22 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I already drank my sorrows away yesterday :unsure: Didn't help that the game was an early kick off so had more time and wasted more money to wash these sorrows away 

You'll be laughing end of the season though, when your not in the top 6 bet pays out, champers all round!

15 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

You'll be laughing end of the season though, when your not in the top 6 bet pays out, champers all round!

I'm really in a no lose position though. If we don't, great I get money, if we do then obviosuly that's great too because anyone has a chance in the play offs.

Archived