Team Shape Yesterday

Ramdale

Trying to find out from anyone who went to yesterdays game if the shape changed when he made the subs. I know we started 4-3-3, however from the highlights when the subs were made the shape looks to be more of a 4-4-2 with Blackman and Martin playing through the middle together. Can someone who was at the the game confirm the formation after the subs?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Anon. Not getting carried away, just sounds like the brightest Blackman has been and it was playing through the middle in his preferred position. Obviously a lot of talk of formations recently and its all opinions. Different systems have different strengths and weaknesses. Definitely believe the 4-3-3 with Clements style of play became far too predictable to play against, however it can work as shown by McClaren. On paper a 4-4-2 diamond looks good to me as it gets players in their more natural positions, however it is untried up to this point. Just good to be back on track!

I thought the 442 worked but on reflection the 3 goals may have clouded my judgement. It was good that we could change the formation and get the result. We only played 442 for about 15 mins and scored 3 goals so you could say we played 75 mins and didn't score. It may have been more down to the personnel on the pitch at the time.

38 minutes ago, Ramdale said:

Trying to find out from anyone who went to yesterdays game if the shape changed when he made the subs. I know we started 4-3-3, however from the highlights when the subs were made the shape looks to be more of a 4-4-2 with Blackman and Martin playing through the middle together. Can someone who was at the the game confirm the formation after the subs?

I've never been one for magic shapes and formations. Pick players to perform a job in a style they are suited to, give them basic instructions that do not require a degree in astrophysics to comprehend (watch him, kick him), light blue touch-paper and retire.

9 hours ago, eddie said:

I've never been one for magic shapes and formations. Pick players to perform a job in a style they are suited to, give them basic instructions that do not require a degree in astrophysics to comprehend (watch him, kick him), light blue touch-paper and retire.

" kick him"!! 

Was Kenny Burns your favorite ever player? 

Agree to a degree although defensive shape and formation is massive when not in possession of the round kicky thing... 

One thing I have liked, even in the game against MK was that we tried different things. For the first time this season we tried diagonal balls. Yes they were a bit punt it and hope but it went forwards at least! The other thing is I actually saw ince and brad switch sides O.O. Couple that with changing formations in game etc I can see we are at least trying to be a lot less predictable. 

Wassal may not be the next footballing messiah but at least he has some nous to try something when what's currently happeing isn't working. Regardless of what people believe he's here til the end of the season so let's get behind him, give him our full support and hopefully enjoy some good football and wins along the way.

10 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

From the highlights the one HUGE difference was the speed of passing, chasing down, everything in fact. So much quicker. Shows exactly what we have been missing.

That and getting men into the bloody box!

6 players in the box for Cyrus' goal.

Archived