Kanye West

SaintRam

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Wolfie said:

True but actually I don't mind some of his music. It's just when he opens his mouth - either in his songs, heckling at the Grammys and most places in between.

To be fair, the bad lyrics prize still (and probably will always) go to Des'ree for "Life":

I'm afraid of the dark
Especially when I'm in a park
And there's no one else around
Ooh, I get the shivers

I don't want to see a ghost
It's a sight that I fear most
I'd rather have a piece of toast
And watch the evening news

Try Big Sean's part in Wiz Khalifa's Phone Numbers... I'll let you google if you're interested.

5 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

he did nothing Sean Combs/Puff Daddy/P Diddy hadn't already done I'm afraid. He just managed to get more MTV exposure cos of his missus.

MTV?

I think his wife got more exposure through the marriage rather than the other way round.

I wouldn't compare him with P Diddy at all  so probably best to end it here and agree to disagree.

Not much point  debating the quality of his music, it's all subjective.  'In matters of taste, all debate is pointless' as someone clever once said. I forget who.  

Not sure how it can be claimed that he 'changed the course of music'.  I'm not even remotely familiar with his music, but that smacks of hyperbole to me.  He hasn't had much affect on the metal scene..that's all i know.  

He intends to run for president in 2020, have i got the right guy ?  

3 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Not much point  debating the quality of his music, it's all subjective.  'In matters of taste, all debate is pointless' as someone clever once said. I forget who.  

Not sure how it can be claimed that he 'changed the course of music'.  I'm not even remotely familiar with his music, but that smacks of hyperbole to me.  He hasn't had much affect on the metal scene..that's all i know.  

He intends to run for president in 2020, have i got the right guy ?  

No-one did, it's the translation of a commonly used latin phrase to put an end to converations of this type early:  De gestibus non est disputandum. 

I imagine some ancient fellow coined it, but there's no reason why they'd have to be smart :p 

3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

No-one did, it's the translation of a commonly used latin phrase to put an end to converations of this type early:  De gestibus non est disputandum. 

I imagine some ancient fellow coined it, but there's no reason why they'd have to be smart :p 

That's excellent, thank you.  I'll use the latin version in future.  It's hard not to sound knowledgeable when quoting latin...even when i'm talking out of my a***.  Kanye should try it. 

21 minutes ago, Highgate said:

That's excellent, thank you.  I'll use the latin version in future.  It's hard not to sound knowledgeable when quoting latin...even when i'm talking out of my a***.  Kanye should try it. 

Just FYI before you get called out on it, I typo'd that. It's gustibus rather than gestibus. 

oh and on further investigation the est comes after the disputandum. I will need to cane myself later. 

I quite liked his first album, maybe even the second, but since about 2006 his music should have been irrelevant.

Unfortunately, largely due to Twitter and it's ability to make anyone and anything popular, he's become more relevant to the mainstream than he ever should have. I'm not entirely sure who's fault that is really, but I do know he's a total penis.

22 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

Sorry about this, but that is one of the most bizarre comments I've ever read on a forum! 

Fight me ;)

Okay then, how has Kanye West not influenced music?

I understand my comment could be interpreted as "he alone changed the course of music", that's not what I meant. I meant that a figure that famous for that long with that many achievements, who has written his own music, must have SOME talent surely, whether it's your kind of music or whether you think he's a complete arse?

Archived