Mel Morris Speaks

drgoodspeak

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Makes sense to watch it for yourself and make a judgement.

Just watched it and kept my eyes on him and his reactions etc. 

I think and feel he is genuine. I think and feel that they have made the decision they have for the reasons stated. 

I get the impression they really hoped PC was the man, and want to find the right man to build for the long term. 

Now, we move on. 

His comments of stable starting 11 are a concern. It's almost as though if PC didn't change the 11 against Fulham so much he might still be in charge. We had a pretty stable side. If we discount injuries then PC up until Fulham had only been dropping players in the forward positions because they were not performing. What does Mel want in that situation. To play someone who is being less than useless anyway? 

It doesn't add up in anyway. Why sign all of these players, have all of these players on contract, if you want a stable 11. Because in that case you have a dozen players on your books that can't even make the bench. All Mel and Sam had to do was say no you can't buy this and that player. But we got the complete opposite. It's clear to me that Bradley Johnson for example was Sam and Mel's signing. Just like Antonio also would have been if we got him. (I still want us to sign him). 

Fair enough if what he says he wants he does. That for me means shipping off a dozen players in the summer in my view. It means players like Bennett, Rawson, Hanson, Lowe, etc, making the bench at least. For me this now all comes down to our incomings and outgoings in the summer. That's when I will decide whether this vision is misguided, confused and false hope. Not yet. 

Take our back 6 as an example. With a fully fit squad at the start of next season I would want Carson, Shackell, Keogh, Christie, Forysth and Thorne to start. Back up for these players to be Grant, Buxton, Rawson, Lowe, Hanson and (new player). Center Mid, Hughes and Butterfield. Bryson and Hendrick backup. Outwide, Russell, Ince, Bennett (new player or Weimann). Yet right now we have in my view far too many players with contracts. Far too many experienced players who don't get much of a look in but are above the youngsters in the pecking order. 

5 minutes ago, Shang said:

You are wrong. Mel said that a few weeks ago he sat down with Paul to remind him of what the targets were of the club. I presume Clement said he would work on it, so Mel continued backing Paul as he has done before in the past. Paul identified those 3 players and requested them as he said they were needed to do the job.

And no one knows what happened in that dressing room so who knows if it's rant or not?

Mel said this, Mel did this, Mel is so great you can presume a lot too. Almost puke inducing.

You might be right Shang but you actually know nothing. You of course can accept and believe what you want. Haven't got a problem with that. But until I have more facts available I am not going to admit I am wrong in having my doubts about Mel's meddling.

Mel is using some weasel words.

when asked if paul had full control over the signings he replied that PC has absolute final sign off.

not quite the same thing mel.

5 hours ago, cosmic said:

Then why bloody appoint him the first place?! Surely these are the things you should have both been discussing during the interview process!

Maybe PC wasn't entirely honest in the interview.  He wouldn't be the first person !

The Brighton-dwelling shandy drinker nearly convinced me that Morris was wrong to get rid of Clement - however, I've had to watch the negative tripe served up week in, week out, so at the moment I'm going to wait and see. I'm actually looking forward to going on Saturday - which is a first for a few months.

2 hours ago, ripleyram88 said:

I like the direct contradiction between his two answers here.

Im not interfering with team selection but I think hanson should be playing if Thorne is injured. 

There is no contradiction there.   Everybody is allowed have their opinion, the point is did he act on it.

It would only be a contradiction if he instructed Clement to play Hanson when Thorne is injured.

Mel has said categorically said in interviews today that it was Clement's decision to sign Johnson, Butterfield and Ince etc for tidy sums. All three were on the bench Saturday. Maybe Mel thinks he's spunking his hard earned dollar? That must have been galling for Mel that he's spent so much and they don't even make the first team, which was full of Nige's signings. Straw/Camel?

9 minutes ago, davenportram said:

explain the difference?

I think the difference was clear when he said two or three signings were paul's "specific named candidate".

i.e. Pc picked two or three. 

It would have been interesting to have questioned him more closely about the baird, weimann, bent, pearce, carson, series of signings and which three were PC's choice.

olsson might be feeling a bit uncomfortable listening to mels comments on the reserve left back issue.

it just seems like someone else said " smoke and mirrors".

final sign off sounds like a right of veto.

9 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Mel is using some weasel words.

when asked if paul had full control over the signings he replied that PC has absolute final sign off.

not quite the same thing mel.

How does the recruitment process work for a head coach? There must be someone identifying players then getting the head coaches approval.

Guy has long term plan. Makes it clear it is long term. Then sacks a guy for saying he wasn't thinking long term. It really doesn't make sense at all. Yes the performances under Clement have not been great. But up until a few weeks ago he had completely sorted out our defense. We had a blip. Surely that's priority number 1 for a club that wants to progress. You build from the back and boy did we need to after last season. 

1 minute ago, Gritters said:

How does the recruitment process work for a head coach? There must be someone identifying players then getting the head coaches approval.

Thats what we'd love to know.

it sounds like a committee deciding who to sign with analysts and mo camara and clive richards (?) and others involved. I never quite understood what david burke's role was. I assumed he'd replaced chris evans. But now he's also been sacked.

6 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Thats what we'd love to know.

it sounds like a committee deciding who to sign with analysts and mo camara and clive richards (?) and others involved. I never quite understood what david burke's role was. I assumed he'd replaced chris evans. But now he's also been sacked.

exactly what Mel said three or four weeks ago, no criticism of it then. Only now when looking for reason to criticise or possible falling out.

39 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Mel said he went into the dressing to "carpet everybody". 

If thats not undermining the manager then i don't know what is.

He said (paraphrase) that he went into the dressing room to set himself up as the 'one' to aim at cos he thought there were potential divisions. So done to unite all against him.

2 minutes ago, davenportram said:

exactly what Mel said three or four weeks ago, no criticism of it then. Only now when looking for reason to criticise or possible falling out.

Eh?

it sounds like a buggers muddle.

20 minutes ago, philmycock said:

Mel has said categorically said in interviews today that it was Clement's decision to sign Johnson, Butterfield and Ince etc for tidy sums. All three were on the bench Saturday. Maybe Mel thinks he's spunking his hard earned dollar? That must have been galling for Mel that he's spent so much and they don't even make the first team, which was full of Nige's signings. Straw/Camel?

Reading this, it looks like a lot of the signings were already in place, could be wrong though

http://m.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-Paul-Clement-says-apppliance-science/story-27890135-detail/story.html

Archived