Mel Morris Speaks

drgoodspeak

9 minutes ago, EastKentRam said:

Neither of us will ever know whether he bought it up with Paul Clement.

MM's view on who should be on the bench and who should be playing has obviously added to the reasons as to why Clement was sacked.

That isnt right.

Wasn't the question about Hanson to do with the Academy?

I'm not coming down one side or the other with MM yet, I still haven't seen enough and I'm really concerned by some things he's said, but that's not one of them. His point was that U21 players like Hanson should at least look like getting in the side, and initially he did. Morris alleges Clement strayed further and further from the plan - and Hanson hasn't been in the squad in yonks.

Aside from the fact early-season Hanson was miles better than the Bradley Johnson we've seen lately, I think that point was just to demonstrate how different owner and head coach had become in their approach. Head coach didn't want to play youngsters because he was focused on promotion, but the owner is looking for young players to have a way in to the first team.

I think it's not accurate to say that Clement was sacked for not playing certain players, but rather he was sacked for a perception of not giving U21 players a chance.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, davenportram said:

I wasn't talking about the quality of signings. More that sume people are casting doubts and criticism of the transfer/recruitment process now despite the fact the workings of that process were laid open weeks ago and noone even commented about them on this forum - good or bad.

You are airbrushing a lot of stuff out there. I've been harping on about this strange procurement process since chris evans and mo camara arrived. Then the weird appointment of joe mcclaren. Then jamie johnson and derek bragg coming and going faster than you can say "head of football operations?", then the farce with albentosa and the comments from eric steele, and so on and so on.

the reason its important is that the successful managers build teams. Ferguson was a genius at it even though he made some ***** signings. I just don't believe in the concept of a coach working with a bunch of players he hasn't picked. Recruitment is absolutely key to everything. E.g. The defence. Sorted by signing shackell. No amount of coaching will turn shotton and albentosa into mcfarland and todd. 

21 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Yep thats pretty much where i am.

i've commented on tactics, errors and negative passing. I've even said i'm not bothered about promotion and just want to see some goals and some happy players. But there's a right way and a wrong way to go about things and a right way and a wrong way to run a club. Should've given PC a season, and if necessary said we are not happy with the style so unless things improve you might be want to go to bayern with carlo. I am concerned that mel is meddling interfering and overbearing.

It just looks a mess. Too many chefs.

Seems to be two schools of thought on Mel Morris.

There's the hot-headed, trigger-happy Maverick Magnate Mel Morris of the national media. Very easy to piece together bits of evidence and present him this way, and it's a good story - some even seem to be adding him to the Fawaz and Cellino pile.

Then there's the party line - what the club says, Mel Morris' interviews, or when he invites fans to Moor Farm to see what's going on. The successful local businessman. The Derby fan. The long-term vision.

The truth is probably somewhere in between. I think the Reading dressing room debacle was just plain bizarre, and when he said today that he thought "what happens in the dressing, should stay in the dressing room" - well, that's too bloody right Mel, and it's none of your business either.

But then you do have little bits in today's interview which ring true. Mel Morris has never said he wanted promotion, and I felt he was pretty clear in what he wanted. The aims he stated today were the same on RD in November, and the same in June.

Thought it was odd at in pre-season when Clement immediately came in and said the aim was top 2. Morris said one thing, he said something else.

Then there was the constant talk of Chelsea, PSG and Real Madrid. And I think there was even mention of working under Carlo Ancellotti at one point? I found it odd that several months into the job, and the media/Clement were still talking about that. It was starting to get a little odd.

One thing that is in danger of getting lost is that there is a right way and a wrong way to sack somebody. Being cruel and being ruthless are not the same thing. Not sure yesterday was on the right side of that fine line.

I might be way off the mark but judging from what Mel's said it sounds like PC wanted promotion for his own gain rather than the good of the club. PC may have believed that a promotion on his CV in his first season in charge would pave the way for a bigger/better job opportunity and therefore followed the Boro/Hull/Burnley way of winning games/promotion. Mel obviously wanted a team that played football in a way that could be replicated in the Prem at some point (hence why promotion was not a necessity this season) in order to lower the risk of a repeat of our last Prem season. 

The way Mel talks of PC's short term plans is the reason I think this. Again, I'm probably wrong but this is the impression I got. Having said all that I'm still not convinced by everything MM has said as he seems to contradict himself a lot. The rest of the season will be interesting though, that's for sure. 

Mel just said on BBC East Midlands  to Natalie Jackson  " lets put it this way that if i had been picking the team I wouldn't  have been playing some of the players that he's played and most of the fans would agree with that but he's had no interference whatsoever "

He was referring to Clement  

I'm sorry but during today I've watched all the interviews that Mel Morris has given to different media, in fact several times. I've now come to the conclusion I just won't believe a word he says anymore. The man I was so pleased & confident about when he came in with all his money has lost me. Many things he says seem to contradict many things he's said before. I'm not saying I was happy with Clement but Mel appointed him. It seems as long as we are playing exciting expanding attacking football he's not bothered about how many points we get. So if PC had got us playing fabulous exciting football & we were mid table he'd be more than happy. COME ON MEL REALLY ??????? Something has happen behind the scenes that we are not being told.

I'm just glad he got rid of PC. I haven't even opened my season ticket renewal letter yet that's how interested i've become. I also think some people accept what is said by the man in charge. Others think there's something more to it. Who cares if we win on Saturday I might open my letter. 

8 minutes ago, Duracell said:

i think the Reading dressing room debacle was just plain bizarre, and when he said today that he thought "what happens in the dressing, should stay in the dressing room" - well, that's too bloody right Mel, and it's none of your business either.

Back of the net!

13 minutes ago, curtains said:

Mel just said on BBC East Midlands  to Natalie Jackson  " lets put it this way that if i had been picking the team I wouldn't  have been playing some of the players that he's played and most of the fans would agree with that but he's had no interference whatsoever "

He was referring to Clement  

Fooking hell....its gets worse.

I have listened to it.

The quote is slightly wrong. He says "most fans would say the same" i.e. We'd all make slightly different selections etc.

But what a crass thing for a chairman to say. If the answer is no, just say no.

Don't start implying any criticism of the managers selection.

its the managers right to choose whatever team he wants. 

1 minute ago, davenportram said:

And hes justifying the no interferance because he wouldnt have picked the team thats been picked. If hed just said no we'd have "yeah right Mel" posts

Fair enough . 

DCFC will still be here long after I've gone so goodnight for now m8  

53 minutes ago, curtains said:

I liked Derbys build up play though it's just the fans got impatient with it and the players lost confidence when they were being shouted at. 

I liked Clements style of play and you need that in the Premier  League  

We are 5th but not bothered about promotion.  

Its not impatience, and you can hardly call it build up play when we hardly created chances. The build up was slower than M1 roadworkers at the start of project while theyare building up the case for "gents if you work faster and finish on time well pay you more"

The grumbles were at the lack of any decent performances and the general downward trend in performances

26 minutes ago, TETRA said:

I'm sorry but during today I've watched all the interviews that Mel Morris has given to different media, in fact several times. I've now come to the conclusion I just won't believe a word he says anymore. The man I was so pleased & confident about when he came in with all his money has lost me. Many things he says seem to contradict many things he's said before. I'm not saying I was happy with Clement but Mel appointed him. It seems as long as we are playing exciting expanding attacking football he's not bothered about how many points we get. So if PC had got us playing fabulous exciting football & we were mid table he'd be more than happy. COME ON MEL REALLY ??????? Something has happen behind the scenes that we are not being told.

Utter nonsense. Of course Mel wants promotion as soon as the club and team are ready and able to stay promoted. There is no short term rush however. He wants a sustainable club that naturally gains promotion when it has improved to the level required. Performance is the barometer for progress. Performance has gone back not forward.

By the way I think you will find if we play "fabulous exciting football" we will likely be successful. 

Just now, davenportram said:

And hes justifying the no interferance because he wouldnt have picked the team thats been picked. If hed just said no we'd have "yeah right Mel" posts

Really.

where do you stand then because all i'm reading is you taking pops at anyone who has any criticism. Even stranger. You seem to imply that theres some critical band wagon to jump on?

Archived