Mel Morris Speaks

drgoodspeak

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Entertaining football is great, but how many arsenal fans look back to the george graham boring boring arsenal days and think i wish we had been more entertaining and finished 12th

I find it strange that people believe Mel shouldn't have an opinion or a say on matters. 

If you had invested 100,000£ of your own money into a business and hired a manager that wasn't doing the things that you thought was right, would you not give your opinion? Again, would you not sack the manager should you think your business is suffering/not progressing? 

Everyone has their own opinion, but if I was in his shoes I would be asking questions too. He ISN'T picking the team, he's just giving his opinion. I have absolutely no problem with that - everyone gives their opinion at the end of the day. 

Just been watching a video of an interview with Mel and he was asked if he had any regrets of the incident after the Reading game?

No, he replied, no regrets.

This might cause a problem that it might put off a potential coach coming to us if they think the owner might do it again if he doesn't like what he sees or doesn't agree with.

It least we know we know the story it wasn't bullshiite.

He did add that he never got involved in the team selection, he added he received the team selection on match days at lunch time but did find it odd recently when it looked who was actually in the starting 11!

Would Mel interfering stop potential coach taking on the role? 

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

In fairness he's using the same logic as a good coach.

Performance and attitude first. Get those right and results will follow. 

Lose track of the performances to go chasing instant results and you get short term success at best. 

All he's saying is that Clement was measured on performances and not results. 

Performance first. 

Plenty of managers out there chase results and play percentage stuff that will be exposed when they come up against a superior side with the quality to open them up.

Best comment i have read on here in the past 24hrs.

I have to say that despite what happened at the end with Schteve, the team were magnificent to watch for the most part.

The team have been pretty boring this season, win, lose or draw and I couldn't even be bothered to watch Saturday's match on the internet. I decided to watch my girlfriend's cat shitting in the litter tray instead. Much more entertaining.

So I can see where MM is coming from. Whether that's the whole story or not, who knows?

1 hour ago, EastKentRam said:

Those two answers are hilarious. 

Mel thinks certain youth teamers should have been closer to the squad. Ex Real Madrid and PSG coach doesnt believe they're good enough.

I think Mel is full of ****. All his answers are full of contradictions.

And that's from someone who doesnt even hate the decision to sack him if a replacement had been lined up. It's looking suspiciously like MM is getting to involved in the management side of the club.

What are you talking about? He didn't bring up Jamie Hanson with Paul Clement but would have liked to have used him instead of bringing other midfielders in or using Baird out of position. 

Just because he has an opinion doesn't mean he brought them up. He probably has a personal opinion about a lot of things, but as it isn't his job he keeps them to himself. 

4 minutes ago, I Am Sheep said:

I have to say that despite what happened at the end with Schteve, the team were magnificent to watch for the most part.

The team have been pretty boring this season, win, lose or draw and I couldn't even be bothered to watch Saturday's match on the internet. I decided to watch my girlfriend's cat shitting in the litter tray instead. Much more entertaining.

So I can see where MM is coming from. Whether that's the whole story or not, who knows?

Any chance you videoed it?

Some excellent posts by members. I agree with the sacking and listening to Mel's concise comments the number one reason PC got fired for was brand of football. We all knew that results up until Xmas flattered to deceive. All that has happened since then is that our luck has run dry and we cant even fall back on a moment of magic.

To the outside world it seems a bizarre decision. To me its the correct outcome. As Ramma says time and again as did big Roge before him  and even as far back as Graham Richards sidekick (surname Hall) performance must come first, results will follow. We have seen what short termism did to this club when we went up under 'The Dwarf'. The football on offer was abysmal. Is it any wonder we crashed and burned.

53 minutes ago, ripleyram88 said:

I like the direct contradiction between his two answers here.

Im not interfering with team selection but I think hanson should be playing if Thorne is injured. 

So did pretty well every Derby fan who watched Hanson play - then suddenly he stopped making the bench.

I say well done MM. He has a plan and a vision of what direction he wants to take the club. By the sounds of it, it sounds like a good plan. Things obviously weren't going in the right direction so something had to be done about it. I don't think he has done this to bring in a big name coach or because of the league postion. He is watching the same game I'm watching and it doesn't feel right.

It had got so bad I predicted a draw against Fulham in mozza's league and I've never done that before not even when NC was in charge.

1 hour ago, EastKentRam said:

Those two answers are hilarious. 

Mel thinks certain youth teamers should have been closer to the squad. Ex Real Madrid and PSG coach doesnt believe they're good enough.

I think Mel is full of ****. All his answers are full of contradictions.

And that's from someone who doesnt even hate the decision to sack him if a replacement had been lined up. It's looking suspiciously like MM is getting to involved in the management side of the club.

Not really. If he was influencing team selections, Hanson would have played more.

Sorry guys, but I am not taken in by the spoon fed boll**ks I have heard today. 

I am not saying change will not be a good thing, and I can not defend PC's style of play/team selection, but if Mel really was feeling uncomfortable with the progress being made towards the "Derby Way", you don't go and throw another £5m at your 'problem' and introduce another 3 "expectant" senior players into the squad. You don't either go in to the changing room straight after a match and have a go at them - you deliver your message clearly in a controlled way, in a controlled environment.

Almost certainly something else has happened in the last few weeks, and it is a pity that PC might not be able to give his twopenneth.  A few here might be swayed by the millions he has invested, and his gifts of scarves and tea, but from my armchair Mel is currently looking a lot like a meddler. I do really hope I am wrong.

2 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Sorry guys, but I am not taken in by the spoon fed boll**ks I have heard today. 

I am not saying change will not be a good thing, and I can not defend PC's style of play/team selection, but if Mel really was feeling uncomfortable with the progress being made towards the "Derby Way", you don't go and throw another £5m at your 'problem' and introduce another 3 "expectant" senior players into the squad. You don't either go in to the changing room straight after a match and have a go at them - you deliver your message clearly in a controlled way, in a controlled environment.

Almost certainly something else has happened in the last few weeks, and it is a pity that PC might not be able to give his twopenneth.  A few here might be swayed by the millions he has invested, and his gifts of scarves and tea, but from my armchair Mel is currently looking a lot like a meddler. I do really hope I am wrong.

You are wrong. Mel said that a few weeks ago he sat down with Paul to remind him of what the targets were of the club. I presume Clement said he would work on it, so Mel continued backing Paul as he has done before in the past. Paul identified those 3 players and requested them as he said they were needed to do the job.

And no one knows what happened in that dressing room so who knows if it's rant or not?

3 minutes ago, Shang said:

And no one knows what happened in that dressing room so who knows if it's rant or not?

Mel said he went into the dressing to "carpet everybody". 

If thats not undermining the manager then i don't know what is.

He's coming off no better than Cellini and Fawaz at this moment in time tbh. I respect him and love that he wants to invest his money on us and help us get back to the premier league, but he needs to stop getting over emotional, you only have to look at our fan base to realise we aren't exactly the most patient of fans and Mel is coming across just like that, its like he's thrown the toys out the pram and screamed 'next season now, forget this season', bottom lip seems out to me with all this.

We keep saying "do a leicester", but you need to build a team over time to do that, you need a settled base, a settled squad, we've had so many players brought in its going to take time, and expecting to just waltz our way to this league is stupid, we have to work for it and at the moment we seem to be having a tantrum because we can't do what Leicester did, pretty silly and we need to be realistic. 

Archived