Mel Morris Speaks

drgoodspeak

What a season!

Are there two more 'firsts' for football here?

1. The first time a manager has ever been fired for being more short term and points-orientated than the owner. And in record time too.
  2. A two-sided dispute where we only need to listen to one side to form a conclusion.

It's the Derby Way!

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, eddie said:

The Brighton-dwelling shandy drinker nearly convinced me that Morris was wrong to get rid of Clement - however, I've had to watch the negative tripe served up week in, week out, so at the moment I'm going to wait and see. I'm actually looking forward to going on Saturday - which is a first for a few months.

Eddie I would not waste my energy trying to convince you one way or another whether MM was right to get rid of PC. I am pretty sure that you still have enough going on upstairs that you can come to your own opinion.  

I am not defending PC's performance over the last 8 months - I too have seen some of the tripe you refer too.  I do still think that he should have been given a full season to prove himself one way or another, but that is in the absence of knowing what has led in just the last few weeks to yesterday's turn of events.

Presently I do have serious doubts as to MM and his 'overarching' involvement, and I personally was not taken in by all the sugar coated spiel today. 

As for you thinking I put lemonade in my beer, you Sir are an ill-informed cad.

here's the video of Mel before Christmas. Praising PC for improving the team, the team gelling and the ultimate quest for PC to continue that process. Obviously that ultimate quest wasn't succesful. Also talks about how the transfer process works which at the Time didn't draw any criticism, obviously agendas/recent event change peoples perceptions.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/10096866/mr-chairman-mel-morris

3 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Eddie I would not waste my energy trying to convince you one way or another whether MM was right to get rid of PC. I am pretty sure that you still have enough going on upstairs that you can come to your own opinion.  

I am not defending PC's performance over the last 8 months - I too have seen some of the tripe you refer too.  I do still think that he should have been given a full season to prove himself one way or another, but that is in the absence of knowing what has led in just the last few weeks to yesterday's turn of events.

Presently I do have serious doubts as to MM and his 'overarching' involvement, and I personally was not taken in by all the sugar coated spiel today. 

As for you thinking I put lemonade in my beer, you Sir are an ill-informed cad.

I had you down as one putting a splash of beer in your lemonade.

8 minutes ago, davenportram said:

exactly what Mel said three or four weeks ago, no criticism of it then. Only now when looking for reason to criticise or possible falling out.

Tbh I haven't been very impressed with the signings. They aren't improvements on what we've got. I think Blackman may have some potential he's got a good first touch. May be Butterfield has proved himself but he wasn't a bargain. 

Just now, Gritters said:

Tbh I haven't been very impressed with the signings. They aren't improvements on what we've got. I think Blackman may have some potential he's got a good first touch. May be Butterfield has proved himself but he wasn't a bargain. 

I wasn't talking about the quality of signings. More that sume people are casting doubts and criticism of the transfer/recruitment process now despite the fact the workings of that process were laid open weeks ago and noone even commented about them on this forum - good or bad.

33 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

Is the dog Bradley Johnson? 

When Johnson first came into the team, he looked to be that 'something extra' we needed - half a dozen cracking performances.

I've no idea where it went wrong - although I suspect it was gambling at Middlesbrough, taking Butterfield off and bringing on Weimann, which might have had something to do with it.

Just now, i-Ram said:

Yep thats pretty much where i am.

i've commented on tactics, errors and negative passing. I've even said i'm not bothered about promotion and just want to see some goals and some happy players. But there's a right way and a wrong way to go about things and a right way and a wrong way to run a club. Should've given PC a season, and if necessary said we are not happy with the style so unless things improve you might be want to go to bayern with carlo. I am concerned that mel is meddling interfering and overbearing.

It just looks a mess. Too many chefs.

7 minutes ago, davenportram said:

here's the video of Mel before Christmas. Praising PC for improving the team, the team gelling and the ultimate quest for PC to continue that process. Obviously that ultimate quest wasn't succesful. Also talks about how the transfer process works which at the Time didn't draw any criticism, obviously agendas/recent event change peoples perceptions.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/10096866/mr-chairman-mel-morris

Good post Dav, and a useful reminder - I would urge many here to listen to Mel's words 1 min 20 through to 1 min 35.  

In 6 to 7 short weeks our Manager turns from hero to zero.  Compare and contrast please against today's briefings. And I thought it was just many of our fans who were fickle.

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

Sorry guys, but I am not taken in by the spoon fed boll**ks I have heard today. 

I am not saying change will not be a good thing, and I can not defend PC's style of play/team selection, but if Mel really was feeling uncomfortable with the progress being made towards the "Derby Way", you don't go and throw another £5m at your 'problem' and introduce another 3 "expectant" senior players into the squad. You don't either go in to the changing room straight after a match and have a go at them - you deliver your message clearly in a controlled way, in a controlled environment.

Almost certainly something else has happened in the last few weeks, and it is a pity that PC might not be able to give his twopenneth.  A few here might be swayed by the millions he has invested, and his gifts of scarves and tea, but from my armchair Mel is currently looking a lot like a meddler. I do really hope I am wrong.

I seem to remember you and many others had a good pop at me for saying I was reserving judgement on Mel and that "we would see whether he means what he said or whether it is just empty words". 

Unfortunately ive come to the conclusion that it is just in fact words, and I think you are seeing that now too. 

Watching the interview leads me to the conclusion that our owner is ever so slightly bonkers.

I agreed with letting Clement go for footballing reasons. It turns out however that he was fired for trying to get the club promoted as quickly as possible and not doing things the 'Derby Way'.

So please Mel....why is this new thing of yours the 'Derby Way'.

Do you really think that your millions gives you the right to start spouting about what is the 'Derby Way' because I sure as hell don't think it does. What a joke. There is no such thing as the 'Derby Way'.

You state you don't want promotion straight away. Well...here's a thing Mel. You likely have 30,000 in on a Saturday afternoon that pay their money and dream of Derby winning promotion this season. Yes Mel...this season.

The club is the laughing stock Mel and this is on you.

'The strangest football sacking of the season' dubs the BBC. Not because of the reason...because of the daft reasoning behind it.

3 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Good post Dav, and a useful reminder - I would urge many here to listen to Mel's words 1 min 20 through to 1 min 35.  

In 6 to 7 short weeks our Manager turns from hero to zero.  Compare and contrast please against today's briefings. And I thought it was just many of our fans who were fickle.

but in those 6-7 weeks the performances didn't continue to improve. Which is exactly what Mel said PC had to achieve.

2 hours ago, Shang said:

What are you talking about? He didn't bring up Jamie Hanson with Paul Clement but would have liked to have used him instead of bringing other midfielders in or using Baird out of position. 

Just because he has an opinion doesn't mean he brought them up. He probably has a personal opinion about a lot of things, but as it isn't his job he keeps them to himself. 

Neither of us will ever know whether he bought it up with Paul Clement.

MM's view on who should be on the bench and who should be playing has obviously added to the reasons as to why Clement was sacked.

That isnt right.

12 minutes ago, curtains said:

on his last point about improving performance of players and the team. That is the damning measure. Look at the ratings thread and the graph of our average team rating for each game. There has been no improving trend all season. Even the top performing player has an average rating of around 7 over the season to date. Pretty indicative of stagnation.

1 minute ago, Chris Mills said:

I seem to remember you had a good pop at me for saying I was reserving judgement on Mel and that "we would see whether he means what he said or whether it is just empty words". 

Unfortunately ive come to the conclusion that it is just in fact words, and I think you are seeing that now too. 

Forgive me Chris, but I do only come on here to have a pop at people and I genuinely don't recall the thread/post you are referring too.  Good luck with the matchday thread over the coming weeks - Darren is going to need your experience.

7 minutes ago, eddie said:

When Johnson first came into the team, he looked to be that 'something extra' we needed - half a dozen cracking performances.

I've no idea where it went wrong - although I suspect it was gambling at Middlesbrough, taking Butterfield off and bringing on Weimann, which might have had something to do with it.

Yeah that sticks in my mind. 

8 minutes ago, davenportram said:

on his last point about improving performance of players and the team. That is the damning measure. Look at the ratings thread and the graph of our average team rating for each game. There has been no improving trend all season. Even the top performing player has an average rating of around 7 over the season to date. Pretty indicative of stagnation.

I liked Derbys build up play though it's just the fans got impatient with it and the players lost confidence when they were being shouted at. 

I liked Clements style of play and you need that in the Premier  League  

We are 5th but not bothered about promotion.  

I would just like all this "Derby Way" and these free scarf and cup of tea gimmicks to stop.... In not bothered about all that balls...

I just want an honest board and chairman with us fans.... Think there's a divide opening ever so slightly between them and us. But that's probably football in general.

Im totally onboard with what @i-Ram has posted. Every single one of you would be taking the pi$$ out of any other clubs chairman if they had said the same things Mel did.

Two managers sacked in 8 months smacks of short term vision. Only one bloke destabilising this club at the minute...

Im pretty stunned at the poll at least he minute... I would say you were all niave, but I maybe a screaming and kicking minority...

Just hope it all pans out, I really do.

I will be quite happy to be proved wrong and have egg on my mush... 

Big challenge ahead now....

Archived