gamble v proven?

archied

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, toddy said:

5th, top 3 minimum  - with the players left over from Mac, plus with the new recruits we should be doing much much better than 4pts from 21.

The results are really only half of it, its the performances which is the alarming side of things. We set our stall out not to be beaten, that's all well and good if we are team looking to survive in a league, but we are not looking to survive, we are looking to get promotion. And to get that you have to win games and you and I both know that requires much better attacking play than we done all season.

I too bought into the hype last summer, but since the Fulham game in December, I have been recessing how our season has really gone.

I have seen the highs and too many lows since BC days...............

Who would I want in a proven coach, there are a few employed at the moment - Pearson, Rogers both have done it in this league.

The same Pearson who took three seasons to get Leicester out this league with probably similar investment....

Paitence is a virtue....

3 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

The same Pearson who took three seasons to get Leicester out this league with probably similar investment....

Paitence is a virtue....

In his second spell he took two seasons, the first of which he got them to the play-offs, and spent £4m net, £6m gross and had to sort out a bloated and underperforming squad. 

7 minutes ago, toddy said:

If you call 4 pts from 21 as disappointing run, god knows what a bad run would be like.:blink:

3 defeats in the last 7 isn't great, I agree. I think we've now lost the least amount of games of any Championship team this season. We've drawn too many.

A bad run, a truly bad run, might be similar to Sept 2007 to Sept 2008. Something like 360 days without a win. 

Or maybe like Mclaren's last 14 games. Unfortunately, that is weighing heavily on fans minds so now any run of games without a win becomes meltdown v2.0.

Yep, but he had a rebuilding job to do there  -but here its ready made plus just added 20 million of talent.

Pearson doesn't take prisoners a bit like a certain Bryan Clough.

Pearson is proven at this level.

Alan Shearer as a player said that the best no2 he worked with was Ray Harford, but just couldn't do it as a no1, our very own Peter Taylor brilliant as Cloughies no2, not too good as a no1-then there is Brian kidd again great no2 but flopped as a no1.

As I said earlier  I was taken in with all the hype last summer but have reassessed our season and its not as good as you think.

Sometimes great no 2's just don't make it as a no1.

Two 90 minute performances from 33 games is worrying................

15 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

In his second spell he took two seasons, the first of which he got them to the play-offs, and spent £4m net, £6m gross and had to sort out a bloated and underperforming squad. 

Fair point two seasons... Were heavily invested in still.

My main concern is football fans in general haven't got the Paitence anymore with anything.

The fact that we've had one blip this season and a lot are calling for change proves this. Fickle is an understatement...

Not going to deny we should be doing better.... But I'm not calling for a guy to be sacked after 30 bloody games in charge and are currently only 5 off the top. 

If he does go, Karanka would probably be available if Boro fans had same I WANT I WANT IT NOW mentality some of ours have.

Football manager and stats have Mande every fan into a expert. 

All I ask Clement is to play with more tempo... I will leave Mels words right here. I hope he sticks to them.

image.png

10 minutes ago, toddy said:

Yep, but he had a rebuilding job to do there  -but here its ready made plus just added 20 million of talent.

Alan Shearer as a player said that the best no2 he worked with was Ray Harford, but just couldn't do it as a no1, our very own Peter Taylor brilliant as Cloughies no2, not too good as a no1-then there is Brian kidd again great no2 but flopped as a no1.

As I said earlier  I was taken in with all the hype last summer but have reassessed our season and its not as good as you think.

Show me where we are in the league please.... Imagine if we did turn up every game.... I agree...

must be doing something ok if we're still in the mix...

18 minutes ago, toddy said:

I don't understand why it is worrying. Few games in this league are dominated by one team for 90 minutes which is what you seem to be craving. What would be worrying is if we were sitting in lower mid table. 

A bit off topic perhaps but I wonder whether Mel has been a bit too corporate with the messaging and thereby made a rod for his own back.

By which I mean that if you set out a strategy then in city terms you're expected to give a quarterly update against the strategy. 

So by setting out "The derby way " for example,  we all now question what that means and where we are. We all thought we knewwhat it was. But now we're not sure and we aren't hearing words to confirm all is according to expectations  (NOT plan). Hence the rumours start.

The club would do well to be clear with all whether and if so to what extent we are still on track.

In other words give a quarterly update like a ftse 100 company. 

1 hour ago, Mafiabob said:

My main concern is football fans in general haven't got the Paitence anymore with anything.

The fact that we've had one blip this season and a lot are calling for change proves this. Fickle is an understatement...

Not going to deny we should be doing better.... But I'm not calling for a guy to be sacked after 30 bloody games in charge and are currently only 5 off the top. 

If he does go, Karanka would probably be available if Boro fans had same I WANT I WANT IT NOW mentality some of ours have.

Football manager and stats have Mande every fan into a expert

Spot on Mafia.................personally I like to keep things simple! :thumbsup:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Match-Tactics-Pass-to-Martin-Funny-Derby-County-FC-Football-T-shirt-/222012891027

This time last year we were on 57 points and we ended up with 77 points and finished 8th.

The majority of folk on this forum were laughing and ridiculing the few folk that thought we wouldn't make top six.

This time this year we are on 51 points, currently not losing games, have started to pick up points again, hopefully with wins just around the corner.

Not a gamble v proven. This is football and all sorts of things can happen, will happen, it's up to us lot to have more belief, and faith and help push our beloved Rams on, and not fall to bits every time we hit a bit of a tricky patch.

The Hull fan that came on here after we had won at their place didn't get carried away with that defeat, believing in his team, and I'm sure many Boro, Burnley, Brighton, Sheffield Wed, Birmingham City fans have realised what Championship football is all about. So why oh why haven't we learned what it's all about and are capable of staying strong and loyal and able to get behind our team when our support is needed the most.

Our Away fans can do it, and try to do it and it's taken the great work of The 1884 Group to try and work miracles with our home support, but it seems to be the same old story, as soon as any kind of doubt creeps in, and it's usually sparked or enhanced by our local media boys and girls and that some of our fans as shown on social media choose to self destruct.

"We Are Derby, Super Derby, Super Rams"..........

3 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Football manager and stats have Mande every fan into a expert. 

All I ask Clement is to play with more tempo... I will leave Mels words right here. I hope he sticks to them.

image.png

Explains why he was abroad yesterday, probably doing his coaching badges.

I was at Fulham Saturday, sang ,clapped , supported, have never in my life boo, d a Derby team or player , never will ,,, this is a football talk forum ,, different thing altogether, 

1 minute ago, archied said:

I was at Fulham Saturday, sang ,clapped , supported, have never in my life boo, d a Derby team or player , never will ,,, this is a football talk forum ,, different thing altogether, 

Yep me too, but especially at home we have been very ordinary (away -acceptable) 

there is a great article in the SundayTimes today - where Clement is mentioned.

All about Gary neville - and "being blind to the risk" - his career is becoming a car crash

it runs parallels with Clement - (as he could have made the same decision to be a No1 in La Liga)

Clement "saw the wisdom" of trying his no 1 route with us - making an upward move is proving a tough assignment

Quote - "Clement will not be envying Neville and his shortcut into top echelon management"

Lets get behind our Manager / Coach - it will come round this......COYR

3 hours ago, rammieib said:

Macs win rate 54%.

Clement 43%

no other manager has had greater than 40% at Derby.

Clement has had 33 games.

Well thats not true now is it?

In my lifetime alone I can name several managers who've a win % of 40 or more.

Clough (46%) , Mackay (44), Cox (40) , McFarland (43) , Billy f'n Davies (44), Mcclaren (54)..

Archived