gamble v proven?

archied

Ok this topic is inspired by the moyes thread but here goes ,, can clement do the job for us ? Not one single one of us can answer yes to that, we just don't know ,, for me I don't think he can but others feel he is up to it but it all just opinions , guess work and gut feelings,, fair summary? 

Can moyes do the job for us? The simple straight answer is yes we know he can , why? He s proven it , many years ago Everton and Derby were in a relegation battle moyes was at Preston , we went Gregory Everton went moyes ,, the rest is history, mouse went on to prove he could not only keep Everton up that season but also had the nouse to be long term premiership manager,, so much so that when the manure job came up he was given a crack at it, you can argue the toss over whether he was right for it or given long enough to prove it one way or the other but my point is we know without doubt that he is capable of taking a club like Derby where we want to be and keeping us there.

no offence to clement but I would love Mel to thank clement for his effort but say he felt the timing was all wrong and let him go, then go all out to get moyes in ,, then tell us fans promotion this season is not yard stick for moyes keeping his job , ask fans to be patient not look for miracle upturn but be sure the man at the helm is totally proven to be up to the job in hand,

up until the manure debacle that was always going to be the circus that followed Alex Ferguson moyes has the perfect cv for Derby job and has shown real qualities of loyalty over the years and to top all that he is available now,,,,,,, it's a no brainier ,,,,, go get him Mel 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand your logic, but I don't think it's that simple. Alex Ferguson needed time at Manchester United. 

Sometimes circumstances conspire to create a situation perfect for one person. Moyes has proven twice since his Everton experience to not be up to the task. 

Also at Everton, he never really had any pressure - never challenged for the title, but a big enough club that relegation not  a realistic likelihood. 

Alex Ferguson keeps being used as an example, simply because of what Mel said ''Paul will be our Alex Ferguson''-

But Alex Ferguson was already a proven manager/coach with Aberdeen before joining UTD - so no comparisons between Clement and Ferguson can be made.

Would I take Moyes right now -without doubt YES!

I like many thought we could be on to something really special when we brought in Paul Clement and I hold my hands up and say I too bought into the hype. But now looking back at our 33 games, performances, results, new player recruits, where we current stand. I now realize its not working and possibly the writing was on the wall even in pre season, awful, start of the season wasn't much better, we got eventually got going, we rode our luck a few times, MK Dons spring to mind. But once or luck dried up what are we left with, no win since 26th Dec, poor performances, very odd team selections and we actually look like a mid table side now.

When I sat and analyzed our season so far a few weeks back I looked back at how many games we had played well for 90 minutes, you know I could only managed to say Wolves at home and possibly Hull away - That is to games from 33 games now that is shocking!

We have made excuses time after time for Paul Clement since pre season and we are no further forward.

The way we are currently playing we might not even make the play offs - Time for a change is a must now if we want something out of this season.

Yes, I would take Moyes right now, if fact I would take anybody right now to get our season back on track.

Have we really improved since this time last season?

Sorry for the rant, but sometimes the truth hurts!

Never thought id say this.... but i miss mclarens style of play and the excitement matchdays used to generate.... dont miss him and he had to go but shows how far backwards we have fallen. Clement to me has lost the plot.... dont know what to do.... ive taken a 2 month break off booze but honestlyi dread matchdays and the thought of being driven to the pub.... cant buy a win

4 minutes ago, hiltonram said:

It would be a big gamble bringing in a new manager now.

If PC gets us in the top six this season which we are on target for then that is hardly a failure for a manager in his first season. If we did not acheive a top six finish then it would be time to look elsewhere. 

It is not the time to judge yet.

So you think with a squad that has narrowly missed promotion in 2 seasons.... spent on top of that 25m.... that reaching the play offs is an achievement? Not having a dig here so dont take it the wrong way.... genuinely intrigued on peoples view on this.... as think top 2 should have been minimum target with aim on the title... birmingham makin playoffs for example is an achievement 

1 hour ago, archied said:

no offence to clement but I would love Mel to thank clement for his effort but say he felt the timing was all wrong and let him go, then go all out to get moyes in ,, then tell us fans promotion this season is not yard stick for moyes keeping his job , ask fans to be patient not look for miracle upturn but be sure the man at the helm is totally proven to be up to the job in hand

So you're saying sack the manager because we aren't in the top two, then tell the fans not to expect promotion at all? I'm sure that would do wonders for team morale

It really is as if nobody listened or remembered what Mel said at the start if the season; buildong long term stability, not constantly changing managers, promotion not a requirement this season, etc etc etc.  Unless something has gone very wrong with their relationship then all these threads about replacing PC are completely moot.  Not going to happen (now I've written this he'll be sacked on Monday of course).

In terms of proven versus gamble, i think every managegerial appointment is a gamble.  There are no guarantees. We've appointed all types of manager over the years and you can never predict what will happen. All depend on the bigger picture and a bit of luck one way or the other.  One thing I would just note is that current form aside, we are still 5th in a very competitive league and only 5/6 points from automatic.  I suggest that writing off any manager who took us to the top of the league at Christmas is a tad short sighted and just a bit churlish.  Just my view,,of course.

11 minutes ago, satty atwal said:

So you think with a squad that has narrowly missed promotion in 2 seasons.... spent on top of that 25m.... that reaching the play offs is an achievement? Not having a dig here so dont take it the wrong way.... genuinely intrigued on peoples view on this.... as think top 2 should have been minimum target with aim on the title... birmingham makin playoffs for example is an achievement 

What you have to remember is that the other teams at the top already had established managers who had settled teams. We had a new manager whom took a bit of time to get team to settle. The extra points we did not gain in the first month would more than likely have seen us sitting on top of the league now. So you have to take these things into account and have a bit of patients as you cant be changing manager every five minutes.

16 minutes ago, LazloW said:

It really is as if nobody listened or remembered what Mel said at the start if the season; buildong long term stability, not constantly changing managers, promotion not a requirement this season, etc etc etc.  Unless something has gone very wrong with their relationship then all these threads about replacing PC are completely moot.  Not going to happen (now I've written this he'll be sacked on Monday of course).

In terms of proven versus gamble, i think every managegerial appointment is a gamble................

Sky interview with Mel Morris September 2015

"You can never guarantee when you'll get in the Premier League. I believe we'll get there when we are ready," Morris adds. "It doesn't have to happen this year – we've told Paul that. 
"If it's not this season, then we'll redouble our efforts next year until we get there."

.Good post Lazio....................have a like. :thumbsup:

The other name being bandied about after McClaren's departure was Sean Dyche. I thought we'd get Clement and you'd get Dyche though I wanted us to get Dyche. Amazingly no-one went for Dyche and how lucky was that for Burnley? He's even just signed a new contract at Turf Moor.

It's water under the bridge now but I still wish we'd gone for Dyche or you'd gone for Dyche. If we'd got him our future would be brighter, if you'd got him I believe, as I foresaw then, you'd be top of the table.

For some reason there's a form of snobbery when people look at Dyche. Our fans thought he was below us and they are aren't alone. Perhaps when he's taken Burnley back up and kept them there people will alter their opinions. It'll be too late for Sunderland and Derby County then.

Anyway, let's hope Paul Clement can bring the team out of this horrendous run. You started very badly and I was giving up hope when you went on that very good run. Another superb run, that isn't followed by a major slump, would be very welcome; starting against MK dons.

1 hour ago, hiltonram said:

What you have to remember is that the other teams at the top already had established managers who had settled teams. We had a new manager whom took a bit of time to get team to settle. The extra points we did not gain in the first month would more than likely have seen us sitting on top of the league now. So you have to take these things into account and have a bit of patients as you cant be changing manager every five minutes.

I see your point but then u can look at teams like watford and norwich who went up with new managers in place and that was mid season without a while pre seasons work and they gained instant success

1 hour ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Sky interview with Mel Morris September 2015

"You can never guarantee when you'll get in the Premier League. I believe we'll get there when we are ready," Morris adds. "It doesn't have to happen this year – we've told Paul that. 
"If it's not this season, then we'll redouble our efforts next year until we get there."

If this is the case then the club need to ensure that this summer they go back to basics and put together a squad that grafts for each other, has that sense of togetherness it had in the previous couple of seasons, gives our young talent an opportunity and doesn't spunk millions on players that do nothing to improve the squad. I'd start by getting shot of prima donnas like Ince, overrated players like Johnson, and utter mediocrities like Weimann and Blackman. When Hughes is fit again we will have all the midfielders we need in him, Bryson, Thorne, Hendrick, Butterfield and Hanson, and our defence is almost there, especially when you consider that we have young talent like Lowe and Rawson coming through. I think upfront that Bent needs to be let go in the summer and a quality striker brought in to offer a genuine alternative to Martin. 

Personally Im not sure that PC is the right man for the job, but he must be given the rest of this season and into the next to see what he can do; anything else will be grossly unfair, especially as the policy of throwing money at it appears to have predated his arrival at the club, as do signings such as Ince & Bent.

2 hours ago, LazloW said:

In terms of proven versus gamble, i think every managegerial appointment is a gamble.  There are no guarantees. We've appointed all types of manager over the years and you can never predict what will happen. All depend on the bigger picture and a bit of luck one way or the other.  One thing I would just note is that current form aside, we are still 5th in a very competitive league and only 5/6 points from automatic.  I suggest that writing off any manager who took us to the top of the league at Christmas is a tad short sighted and just a bit churlish.  Just my view,,of course.

You gloss over 2 very important facts on your article:-

1. "Current form aside" - we are bottom of the form table for the last 6 games for the entire league, bottom - no ifs or buts

2. "Only 5/6 points from automatic" - we are 5 points from the top 2 slots but the teams holding those places have 2 games and 1 game in hand over us.

Given the combination of the above minor points then to currently be scraping to make a playoff spot for our transfer outlay is totally unacceptable.

5 hours ago, archied said:

Ok this topic is inspired by the moyes thread but here goes ,, can clement do the job for us ? Not one single one of us can answer yes to that, we just don't know ,, for me I don't think he can but others feel he is up to it but it all just opinions , guess work and gut feelings,, fair summary? 

Can moyes do the job for us? The simple straight answer is yes we know he can , why? He s proven it , many years ago Everton and Derby were in a relegation battle moyes was at Preston , we went Gregory Everton went moyes ,, the rest is history, mouse went on to prove he could not only keep Everton up that season but also had the nouse to be long term premiership manager,, so much so that when the manure job came up he was given a crack at it, you can argue the toss over whether he was right for it or given long enough to prove it one way or the other but my point is we know without doubt that he is capable of taking a club like Derby where we want to be and keeping us there.

no offence to clement but I would love Mel to thank clement for his effort but say he felt the timing was all wrong and let him go, then go all out to get moyes in ,, then tell us fans promotion this season is not yard stick for moyes keeping his job , ask fans to be patient not look for miracle upturn but be sure the man at the helm is totally proven to be up to the job in hand,

up until the manure debacle that was always going to be the circus that followed Alex Ferguson moyes has the perfect cv for Derby job and has shown real qualities of loyalty over the years and to top all that he is available now,,,,,,, it's a no brainier ,,,,, go get him Mel 

Archived