Does he go?

SK47

Clement is obviously very good at his job and I'm sure he'll go on to have a fine managerial career that surpasses Derby County. 

That being said, it's not be an easy job for him. The talk that promotion isn't important was obviously going to fall on deaf ears when it came to the fans. I don't see any reason why this squad of players shouldn't get promoted automatically, no football fan does, which is why we're becoming a bit of a laughing stock. 

If we had the crest of the wave to ride, I have no doubts that we would be fine, however the wave has come to an end. 

Now he has a high pressure situation that a lot of the most experienced managers in the world would struggle to deal with, but it's his first job. I have no doubts that he has lost the dressing room, to a point. I believe there are players that have become disillusioned with his management - certainly the likes of Bent and Weimann. 

If he can turn this round and win promotion this season, I will doth my cap to him, but I don't see him lasting too much longer. 

At least it's interesting. I've got a fair bit of money on Derby NOT finishing in the top six on Betfair, which will near enough pay for next season's season ticket. Silver lining and all that. 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clement, sigh, i hope he proves me wrong yet. but

Harry? Na.

Pearson. Na.

Moyes? I'd trust and give a go to, but would he come?

Warburton? I'd like but don't think is an option.

Davros, Jewell....no no no......no nooooooo....

Rodgers? Needs a bigger chequebook than mels to sign players of the standard of weimann, johnson...would want a top flight job and wait for one too.

All interesting stuff this, but, only one blokes opinion counts

Sky interview with Mel Morris September 2015

"You can never guarantee when you'll get in the Premier League. I believe we'll get there when we are ready," Morris adds. "It doesn't have to happen this year – we've told Paul that. 
After the play-off final two years ago, our then-manager Steve McClaren said if we'd been ready for the Premier League, we'd have got there. He was right.
"If it's not this season, then we'll redouble our efforts next year until we get there."

................................I could be six feet under by then! :thumbsup:

Fans will talk but I assure you it's not even close to the board even thinking about sacking Clement let alone talking about it or acting upon it. 

Mel said at the fans forum Clement will be manager next season no matter where we finish this season. 

Just give it up and accept he is here for the next 9-12 months at least. 

3 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

"You can never guarantee when you'll get in the Premier League. I believe we'll get there when we are ready," Morris adds. "It doesn't have to happen this year – we've told Paul that. 
After the play-off final two years ago, our then-manager Steve McClaren said if we'd been ready for the Premier League, we'd have got there. He was right.
"If it's not this season, then we'll redouble our efforts next year until we get there."

Fair enough Mel re-double the kitty to £50mil next season that should get us to 6th at least :thumbsup:

the grass aint always greener. I really want Clement to turn this round. If anything, I think pressure is generating a negetive feedback loop, the team are in poor form, Clement goes cautious, players lose faith, the team look poor etc.

Perhaps it's time for him to go against logic and instincts and stats and just say sod it lads, you're better than fulham, go out there and enjoy yourselves, here's their good players, heres how they let goals in. trust yourselves, i trust you to do a job for me rather than 46.4% of thir attacking passes go to x <etc>

The first season under McClaren we had 11 players all in the form of their lives playing above themselves and loving it. When that happens it's rare and special.

last season we often had enough in form to cover the ones in poor form but they were still more together than this.

Before the whole change the coach thing, Paul and players, be brave, stand up and remember there's nothing to fear in this league.

8 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Morris said a lot of things around that time, in particular with reference to playing 'the Derby way' and wanting a coach to come in who buys into that, and wouldn't want to completely change the style of football. Neither of those things appears to have been stuck with, so I wouldn't be surprised if giving clement time wasn't stuck to either.

The depressing thing is that since the Reading game I've thought to myself "we'll turn it around next game surely" and each game I've been left disappointed. 

I'm quite an optimistic person but even I have to question Clement now. How after this many league games has the man not managed to make a change? Even a blind man could see that slow build up play from inside our own half is getting us absolutely nowhere! 

I think the slump in form of Bradley Johnson since his arrival optimises what's happened at the club. Johnson came in to the squad from Norwich a confident player who'd chase down absolutely everything, challenge for everything and most of the time win absolutely everything. He's now looking a shadow of the player. I know for a fact that Johnson hasn't magically become bad overnight, there is still a very good player there. However this style of play we're insisting upon is benefitting absolutely no one. 

Just read his interview in the Bellylaugh. We're going stick to our guns apparently and we had enough balls in and around the final third but not enough quality there. I think this is the first time I have to violently disagree with him, because he usually speaks well. We had nothing in the last third that PNE weren't prepared to let us have. They were completely comfortable in their shape and we never ruffled them until a bit of a go late on.

I thought Clements interview with Owen broadly said it all. 

No charisma. Nothing. Nothing to say. Great questions by Owen. I no it's a knee jerk reaction by supporters but come on guy we ain't going anywhere with this man at the helm.  Feel sorry for mel  

With Bent and Weimann I have to presume they've behaved in some way (or something has happened) that makes it impossible for Clement to include them and retain his integrity. Or at the very least Clement must feel that is the case. I would be surprised if he just thinks Bent and Weimann are not good enough. Bent for all his ins and outs could always be a nick a goal man, Weimann hasn't exactly cemented his place but hasn't exactly been a million miles worse than the others.

We don't have the full picture, perhaps they were sniffing poppers in the back of class or writing on the desks??

15 minutes ago, Rammy1 said:

I thought Clements interview with Owen broadly said it all. 

No charisma. Nothing. Nothing to say. Great questions by Owen. I no it's a knee jerk reaction by supporters but come on guy we ain't going anywhere with this man at the helm.  Feel sorry for mel  

I didn't like the stuff about the south stand. As if the rest of the flag waving 27,000 were not really supportive.

13 minutes ago, 61GT said:

If we haven't got quality in the final 3rd then you have to ask why two of our (expensive) strikers can't even make the bench.

And Martin's record at the club speaks otherwise. I blame tactics and management. We have arguably the best squad in the league

Archived