February 10th - We Need You!

TomBustler1884

I chucked this in the 1884 Group thread but it's not just us organising this to be fair!

We have been talking with Nick Webster, Adam (drummer) and Punjabi Rams about getting something going to actually do something about the lack of new songs and poor atmosphere that has been commented on a lot recently. 

So, we have decided to put something on for Rams fans who want to get together to have a bit of a laugh over a few beers and get some new songs going. Details below!

This will not work if people don't come so please come down to the Courtyard on Ashbourne Road on the 10th and join in. If successful, we will build it up over the next few months and we have plans to expand it if people are up for it.

Last thing - it's happy hour on the day we're there so there's your excuse for coming!!

social.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great idea, and I hope it will be well-attended.

For me, we need to go back to the '80's way of thinking when the song's were actually 'ours' and not pinched from other clubs.

Originality will be far more likely to get the 'spectators' joining in, especially if they are well-written and not full of guff about Stan Collymore !

Hell, I may even come along meself !

Good luck, gents, (and ladies, of course!)

Just now, drgoodspeak said:

I hate to say it, but Birmingham and especially Man Utd fans have been particularly good this season. The Man Utd repertoire was pretty impressive. 

Agreed - Man United fans were great but then you wouldn't expect much else from the most supported club in the world compared with us who probably have under 30k regular match goes and a few hundred k worldwide fans. 

Man United probably have more fans in Derbyshire than we do ourselves. 

3 minutes ago, drgoodspeak said:

I hate to say it, but Birmingham and especially Man Utd fans have been particularly good this season. The Man Utd repertoire was pretty impressive. 

Man Utd has a vast amount of plastic fans, but they also have a vast amount of real fans (they still have the largest amount of fans, worldwide right?). Never failed to be impressed by their away following, and of the big clubs the atmosphere at home is also pretty good, especially in Europe (affected heavily by performances lately however)

10 minutes ago, drgoodspeak said:

Birmingham a side, teams like Man United and Liverpool have had a lot more success than us for example and with the history comes material for use in songs. Obviously I'm not saying that doesn't mean unsuccessful clubs should have less to sing about or should be less original I just think it makes it easier. Having said that as a club with two league titles and an FA cup with some notable legends throughout our history, it would be good to have some go to songs to sing now and again to celebrate these facts. 

I know a lot of people harp on about Forest living in the past but as a club I honestly don't think they do enough to celebrate that feat just as I don't think we do enough to celebrate the fact we won two league titles in the space of 5 years. Something a club like Derby will probably never be able to achieve again, certainly not in the current football climate.

I mean we all love Brian Clough, but you never hear a chant about him. We chant more about Stan Collymore which says a lot for me

**disclaimer obviously the bulk of songs/ most the time should be songs we sing to get the current team going. I just think it would be nice to have some songs celebrating our past that can be used now and again. 

I don't think the United away support is a good comparison to our home support - they're different beasts. Old Trafford is nothing like their away fans on matchday.

But come along on the 10th, whether you have song ideas or not. If we have 5 people there, it won't catch on in the stadium, we need at bare minimum 50 people to show up who will sing the songs regardless of where they sit!

We have a couple to try out already! Neither of which are copies of UK clubs as far as I'm aware.

12 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Ryan Shotton's average

He wears an average hat

We've had better players

And there's nothing wrong with that

He'll do a job a left back

He'll do a job at right

And when he makes a sensible clearance, we'll sing this song all night

Ha! If we did humour then this would surely be included in our song list?? 

Won't make the meet but hope it produces something. All you need is a list of recognisable pop/advert tunes, a few idiots who like a bit of back and forth and it'll be a success. 

Pick a player, find something about him (like Thorne doing his hair all game, Hughes being bright white, Hendrick getting in scrapes, Keogh's awful interviews etc etc) and see what makes people giggle. 

Phil's "Buttercup" for Butterfield works a treat.

C'mon, produce some original easy catchy chants. 

United were awesome. Not just songs but that they never shut up or cared what we were doing. They just had a good time. And those vile blue scumbags made it a party. Cnuts.

Archived