Has Mel been good for the club?

climbon

2 minutes ago, climbon said:

To be honest I wrote this in reaponse ro the Ollson signing...when i read about it I couldn't help but think "really...another one". I'm concerned we seem to be trying to buy the championship and panicking and it is that that will get us in trouble.

We buy bent...not given a proper chance...lets buy Blackman. Warnocks been fine, one of our best recent performers, lets replace him!

How does that help team moral if everytime we lose a game or two we try and buy half a new squad. 

What is the point of having bent, weimann, pearce...what's the point of having an academy??

I know these were not Clement signings but how many managers in their first 6 months have to do with much except the "old" crop of players?

I know we are not currently in danger embargo due to 3 year amortisation...but how much room do we have to sign players over the next few years without selling those we have just bought??

Until feb last year we were going somewhere with a well built nucleus of a squad, using loan players well. Now we have thrown that out the windoe for a all or nothing attempt at promotion.

I guess i was happier where we were this time last year than i am now.

And to those who say "do i want a return to Davies,Jewell and clough eras"...no of course not...but there is something half way between that and what we currently have...and believe we had that before Mel took over. 

In that case you've overreacted massively to the Olsson signing. Warnock is our only LB now, both Forsyth and Lowe are out for the season. Baird is far more of a RB than a LB. This is not a Warnock replacement it's Warnock competition. Plus a VERY attacking LB option which we have lacked. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, SaintRam said:

In that case you've overreacted massively to the Olsson signing. Warnock is our only LB now, both Forsyth and Lowe are out for the season. Baird is far more of a RB than a LB. This is not a Warnock replacement it's Warnock competition. Plus a VERY attacking LB option which we have lacked. 

I hope it is a Warnock replacement. As steady as he's been, we aren't as good a team with him in there and the balance is completely shifted over to the right hand side.

1 minute ago, Srg said:

I hope it is a Warnock replacement. As steady as he's been, we aren't as good a team with him in there and the balance is completely shifted over to the right hand side.

In the long term I agree, I'm just explaining the purchase to someone who clearly doesn't understand, 

1 minute ago, curtains said:

Ungrateful people. 

Unbelievable.

Mel must be thinking what the hell I might just as well quit this club .

For goodness sake get behind the manager and club. 

Crazy isn't it Curtains, that possibly as little as a month ago you were considered one of the more negative people here, how quickly things can change. :lol:

4 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Perfect. Except in our scenario, on top of all the good things we aren't being subjected to all the bad things the Romans did either. The worst thing that's happened to us is a shot term lack of form!

3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Crazy isn't it Curtains, that possibly as little as a month ago you were considered one of the more negative people here, how quickly things can change. :lol:

I'm always constructive not destructive 

Whats got into people .

Are some people trying to destroy the club. 

1 minute ago, curtains said:

I'm always constructive not destructive 

Whats got into people .

Oh yeah, as I said back then I don't dislike you for the negativity as as you say you put reasons behind it into the fold, even if I disagree. But now I feel ridiculous for rolling my eyes when I saw one of your threads now I've seen what true negativity is. 

I take everything back, Curtains. Really. 

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

Oh yeah, as I said back then I don't dislike you for the negativity as as you say you put reasons behind it into the fold, even if I disagree. But now I feel ridiculous for rolling my eyes when I saw one of your threads now I've seen what true negativity is. 

I take everything back, Curtains. Really. 

I think everyone should take a step back and have a little think .

You only miss what you had when you don't have it and believe you me we have got it good at Derby .

20 minutes ago, curtains said:

I doubt a man as astute as Mel will be thinking anything of the kind but I do wonder if he's face palmed a few of the posts on here lately. I also think his visits to the forum might become a little less frequent which would be a shame.

Anyway, in answer to the original question it's a yes from leafy Hertfordshire, I hope he's a happy man come May. COYR.

2 hours ago, Shang said:

He's been fantastic for the club. End of discussion.

It's not as simplistic as saying he has been fantastic just because he has spent a lot of money.

What he has done for the academy is astounding. But despite all the money being spent do you honestly see youngsters coming through with the way the set up is? I don't.

And I will be honest (and probably get slaughtered) but I have lost a bit of the excitement going down the route we have and quite frankly the football is not as good to watch.

When we were building a team on low fees, low wages and team spirit I think a lot of us felt part of the project. I think back to sone of the away days in play off season and they were fantastic. These days if we win games it is just as though it should be expected with what we have spent, and if we lose well....you can see how a lot react! 

16 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

It's not as simplistic as saying he has been fantastic just because he has spent a lot of money.

What he has done for the academy is astounding. But despite all the money being spent do you honestly see youngsters coming through with the way the set up is? I don't.

And I will be honest (and probably get slaughtered) but I have lost a bit of the excitement going down the route we have and quite frankly the football is not as good to watch.

When we were building a team on low fees, low wages and team spirit I think a lot of us felt part of the project. I think back to sone of the away days in play off season and they were fantastic. These days if we win games it is just as though it should be expected with what we have spent, and if we lose well....you can see how a lot react! 

Well isn't that the fans' problem, managing their expectations???  Just because we've spent a lot of money doesn't mean we can play like Barcelona every week, Schteve had us playing a very good brand of football with hardly any money at all.  The problem is for a lot of fans (me included with caveats) is that we're not as open and attacking as we used to be, but that's down to the head coach and the style he prefers, which until 5 games ago was keeping the vast majority happy.  It is no way the chairman's fault that we have become complete mard-arses, with an over inflated sense of entitlement if we're not smashing teams 6-0 every week...

If we are looking to point where blame lies, lets look at the facts.

we have.

The best/richest chairman (who is prepared to spend) in the league

The best stadium/training facilities in the league

The biggest most loyal fanbase in the league

The best squad of players in the league

so whats left?

As Sir Conan Doyle would say when you eliminate the impossible whatever remains.

2 hours ago, Wolfie said:

I want to see concrete evidence of any of that before I comment further.

There may be mortar this than we thought, this needs reinforcing not just smoothing out in my opinion. If we get to the Capital Cup semi, we could win on aggregate.

18 minutes ago, Bwash_Ram said:

If we are looking to point where blame lies, lets look at the facts.

we have.

The best/richest chairman (who is prepared to spend) in the league

The best stadium/training facilities in the league

The biggest most loyal fanbase in the league

The best squad of players in the league

so whats left?

As Sir Conan Doyle would say when you eliminate the impossible whatever remains.

you?

1 hour ago, curtains said:

Ungrateful people. 

Unbelievable.

For goodness sake get behind the club. 

I didn't realise we lived in a serfdom.

This isn't North Korea.

We are consumers who buy into a product. 

As consumers are allowed an opinion on how that product is developed and delivered. 

Get yer head out yer backside. You asked the question, so live with the answers.

Archived