Has Mel been good for the club?

climbon

Slightly devil's advocate but I'm not too sure where I sit on this at the moment. This is not about Cement or our league position at all...simply money!

Since talking over we have spent 20 mil plus (even 30??), I for one don't see how the squad is stronger. We seem to be buying up anyone we can in a desperate attempt to get promoted. I don't understand this, Mel says promotion is not a requirement this season at all and that Clement has time to build...if that is the case why do we seem to be spending like it's do or die this season??

Of course Mel puts in the money and the scouting staff and others spend it..but it is Mel's responsibility to ensure those staff members are up to the job! Seems those staff are like kids in a candy (crush) store....living off scraps of money for years then all of a sudden they've won the lottery and just go crazy buying anyone and everyone..the squad has lost it's togetherness.

The work on the academy is amazing and I'm sure we will get some quality players....but will they ever play a game if we just buy every time we need a first team player....are we in danger of becoming the Chelsea of the championship.

I've no doubt Mel's heart is in the right place...but so is Fawaz's, and look how that turned out!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, climbon said:

Slightly devil's advocate but I'm not too sure where I sit on this at the moment. This is not about Cement or our league position at all...simply money!

Since talking over we have spent 20 mil plus (even 30??), I for one don't see how the squad is stronger. We seem to be buying up anyone we can in a desperate attempt to get promoted. I don't understand this, Mel says promotion is not a requirement this season at all and that Clement has time to build...if that is the case why do we seem to be spending like it's do or die this season??

Of course Mel puts in the money and the scouting staff and others spend it..but it is Mel's responsibility to ensure those staff members are up to the job! Seems those staff are like kids in a candy (crush) store....living off scraps of money for years then all of a sudden they've won the lottery and just go crazy buying anyone and everyone..the squad has lost it's togetherness.

The work on the academy is amazing and I'm sure we will get some quality players....but will they ever play a game if we just buy every time we need a first team player....are we in danger of becoming the Chelsea of the championship.

I've no doubt Mel's heart is in the right place...but so is Fawaz's, and look how that turned out!

I want to see concrete evidence of any of that before I comment further.

4 minutes ago, climbon said:

If you think fawaz and Morris are the same kind of people, you need a head check

2 minutes ago, HenriDCFC said:

If you think fawaz and Morris are the same kind of people, you need a head check

Not at all, Mel is a proper business man while Fawaz is a joke. All I'm saying is that good intentions alone aren't enough to get you promoted or to prevent an embargo

5 minutes ago, Jon_Grooves said:

Yeah but if we dont go up this season, the players will have time to bond over pre season and we'll own every dcent player in the championship by then and win te league next season

If this was the case wouldn't you expect them to start slow and gradually improve...we seem to be going backward in this respect at the moment...I think we have too many players! We may end up off loading half the ones we have only just bought!

I have come to conclude that there are a lot of Derby County fans who were truly happier when we were aspiring to finish 10th than they are now.

I'm not saying we should all be bowing and scraping to Sir Mel but for god's sake just think for a minute about where we used to be and what condition the club infrastructure and squad is now.

There's a wall over there that I haven't yet banged my head against. See you in a bit.

1 hour ago, climbon said:

of course he's been good for the club.  Would you rather go back to the days of the 3 Amigos and have Martin or Hughes sold on the last day of the transfer window for £750k???  Maybe he's been a little too eager to stamp his mark on the club but when you're ploughing as much money in as he is I guess you would.

Uncle Fawaz inherited his money, Mel earned his.  Uncle Fawaz does not delegate responsibility, Mel trusts the team around him to run the club.  Uncle Fawaz is more interested in being popular with fans on Twitter, Mel couldn't give a ****.

1 hour ago, climbon said:

Not at all, Mel is a proper business man while Fawaz is a joke. All I'm saying is that good intentions alone aren't enough to get you promoted or to prevent an embargo

Why are we going to be in an embargo?  It's already been stated that Butterfield & Johnson's transfers and their wages aren't a big deal due to the insurance took out on current squad players.  Plus a lot of the debt was wiped clean when he became the new owner, and now the rules have been relaxed we're permitted to make larger losses.

Sorry climbon, you may have valid concerns but the timing for this kind of topic just stinks of trying to find a scapegoat for the recent form.

Why do these kind of topics not pop up when we're on unbeaten runs and top of the league?

What he has done for the club goes much further than the money splashed on transfers. Look at the money he's pumped in to the training ground and acadamy...

It shows how far we've come by the fact that Johnson came to the training ground and couldn't picture himself anywhere else, or that this season alone Shackell, Blackman and Ince have chosen us over promotion rivals, showing we're now a very desirable club. This was probably not the case as short as last season ago, and certainly wasn't the case two seasons ago.

The only way I could see that he hasn't had a good effect is that maybe the fact he's pumped so much money in to the club puts too much pressure on the players, and perhaps the appointment of Clement could be questioned seeing as he is unproven (not my personal opinion as I like Clement but I can see the argument).

7 minutes ago, Daveo said:

Sorry climbon, you may have valid concerns but the timing for this kind of topic just stinks of trying to find a scapegoat for the recent form.

Why do these kind of topics not pop up when we're on unbeaten runs and top of the league?

To be honest I wrote this in reaponse ro the Ollson signing...when i read about it I couldn't help but think "really...another one". I'm concerned we seem to be trying to buy the championship and panicking and it is that that will get us in trouble.

We buy bent...not given a proper chance...lets buy Blackman. Warnocks been fine, one of our best recent performers, lets replace him!

How does that help team moral if everytime we lose a game or two we try and buy half a new squad. 

What is the point of having bent, weimann, pearce...what's the point of having an academy??

I know these were not Clement signings but how many managers in their first 6 months have to do with much except the "old" crop of players?

I know we are not currently in danger embargo due to 3 year amortisation...but how much room do we have to sign players over the next few years without selling those we have just bought??

Until feb last year we were going somewhere with a well built nucleus of a squad, using loan players well. Now we have thrown that out the windoe for a all or nothing attempt at promotion.

I guess i was happier where we were this time last year than i am now.

And to those who say "do i want a return to Davies,Jewell and clough eras"...no of course not...but there is something half way between that and what we currently have...and believe we had that before Mel took over. 

Archived