Don't Panic

YorkshireRam

I know the forum is all doom and gloom tonight but we've got to move on as quickly as possible.

First of all, our overall play tonight was a vast improvement on the performances we saw against Reading and Birmingham, our forwards were getting into dangerous areas and we created a number of decent chances. Butterfield continued his good form and our fullbacks were more advanced and caused problems. 

What let us down tonight was a couple of individual mistakes and a massive heap of luck for Burnley. These sort of games happen from time to time, we've got to pick ourselves up, dust down and move on. As the saying goes, if you play well results will come. If you look at our next 3 league fixtures, we have to be aiming for 9 points- Preston (H), Fulham (A) and MK Dons (H). No better springboard than those games to bounce back from a disappointing evening. 

In my opinion, the next 9 games are all winnable leading onto Forest at home. For some reason, I fancy us going on an unbeaten run which sees us pushing top 2. From what I saw tonight and from what i've seen so far this season, I just can't see players like Keogh, Thorne and Johnson just laying down and dying. We have just under 20 games left, more than enough time to give any team in this league competition for the top 2 places!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with some of your post, it is definitely not over yet not by a long long way....and as I have already said our upcoming run of games is so so easy, pre season yo would be putting us down to win the next 7 or 8 no problem at all, which is what we have to do. Starting on Friday night I am afraid...

Tonight was not good enough at all, Keogh and Shackell were totally at fault for the defeat and need to be standing up and doing something about it. For me Buxton has to start instead of Keogh....always.

Drove away listening to radio Lancs sports team. 

They were very generous. Really rated Christie, Warnock and Butterfield. Said the shoreline flattered them. Made Mee a defender their man of the match. Summed it up perfect when they said luck favoured them, expect Derby to be challenging end of the year and thought we just didn't get on the end of crosses, whereas they took their chances.

Afraid the said Keogh and Shacks had a bit of a mare night. Very honest assessment by them

5 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

I agree with some of your post, it is definitely not over yet not by a long long way....and as I have already said our upcoming run of games is so so easy, pre season yo would be putting us down to win the next 7 or 8 no problem at all, which is what we have to do. Starting on Friday night I am afraid...

Tonight was not good enough at all, Keogh and Shackell were totally at fault for the defeat and need to be standing up and doing something about it. For me Buxton has to start instead of Keogh....always.

Replacing personnel isn't the answer, we saw today, despite all the rumours of a break down in morale in the dressing room, that this team still has character... We only needed 26 seconds to respond to a setback after all. 

Stability is key at the minute and that being said, I'd start the exact same team against Man Utd on Friday. Keogh and Shackell have been immense so far this season, for me tonight was their first blip as a CB pairing, I'm confident they'll come back stronger. The result on Friday is fairly immaterial, a good performance should be our main objective. We can use that to then assess the players and select an XI that should stay largely the same over the course of the next 10 games, starting against Preston.

4 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Replacing personnel isn't the answer, we saw today, despite all the rumours of a break down in morale in the dressing room, that this team still has character... We only needed 26 seconds to respond to a setback after all. 

Stability is key at the minute and that being said, I'd start the exact same team against Man Utd on Friday. Keogh and Shackell have been immense so far this season, for me tonight was their first blip as a CB pairing, I'm confident they'll come back stronger. The result on Friday is fairly immaterial, a good performance should be our main objective. We can use that to then assess the players and select an XI that should stay largely the same over the course of the next 10 games, starting against Preston.

I think we need a new scout. Some of our signings are useless if not all apart from Butterfield. 

44 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Drove away listening to radio Lancs sports team. 

They were very generous. Really rated Christie, Warnock and Butterfield. Said the shoreline flattered them. Made Mee a defender their man of the match. Summed it up perfect when they said luck favoured them, expect Derby to be challenging end of the year and thought we just didn't get on the end of crosses, whereas they took their chances.

Afraid the said Keogh and Shacks had a bit of a mare night. Very honest assessment by them

That is absolutely accurate. Just a shame some of our "fans" are hell bent on venting their spleen for their own gratification.

Just now, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

That is absolutely accurate. Just a shame some of our "fans" are hell bent on venting their spleen for their own gratification.

Well apart from my spelling on iPad lol

Far too much wrist slashing, listen to neutrals and they praise us and rate us better than our own fans, unreal eh!

Panic?

There's no panic, its just idle gossip on forums. Most fans don't use forums yet so when you see half a dozen posts declaring Armageddon I wouldn't worry too much. After all, that's all it is, half a dozen posts.

The expectation is high and there will be disappointment and frustration but panic? Nah.

Time to seriously get behind the team now, starting with Friday night, league pressure off for a match, relax and play the football we know we're capable of against an admittedly boring and defensive side!

COYR :D

3 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Panic?

There's no panic, its just idle gossip on forums. Most fans don't use forums yet so when you see half a dozen posts declaring Armageddon I wouldn't worry too much. After all, that's all it is, half a dozen posts.

The expectation is high and there will be disappointment and frustration but panic? Nah.

Time to seriously get behind the team now, starting with Friday night, league pressure off for a match, relax and play the football we know we're capable of against an admittedly boring and defensive side!

COYR :D

Nothing really meant in the title, it was just punchier than ''Don't Get Too Worried''...   :lol:

Great post, @YorkshireRam summed up everything I had in mind.

2 pen's and a big slice of luck within 10 minutes are always going to change the course of a game and head will go down thinking it's not your day..and it really wasn't.

Not too disappointed in the overall performance last night thought it was 10x better than the previous 2 games. Just some moments of madness by our centre-halves which have cost us but they have been outstanding more often than not this season so I'm not going to start trying to frog-march them out the side!

Perfect time to play Man Utd on Friday, nothing to lose - all to gain!

Looked like keogh suffered from the og.

Just after he did a poorish attempt at a diving header clearance which went straight to a burnley player.

He was looking a bit wild eyed like last season. 

Hope he gets an arm round his shoulder and encouragement. Then come out Friday and shut out wazza and Co.  Shackell also had some bizarre moments last night but comes across as much more level headed and less prone to panic so he should be fine.

The only coaching point that sky comments picked up was our tendency to back off when being run at. Something PC could look at perhaps. 

i defer to those that see them play live but even when we were on unbeaten runs the performances appear to have been very lackluster.  it feels like rather than we have been found out, the players have started to feel that they are not up to it.  PC has a real job on his hands now.  Next 3 league games now have far more pressure on them than previously anticipated.  Mel's reaction is also worth monitoring, is the Derby way just a phrase or is he really going to allow another season to go by whilst PC develops?

16 minutes ago, Spanish said:

i defer to those that see them play live but even when we were on unbeaten runs the performances appear to have been very lackluster.  it feels like rather than we have been found out, the players have started to feel that they are not up to it.  PC has a real job on his hands now.  Next 3 league games now have far more pressure on them than previously anticipated.  Mel's reaction is also worth monitoring, is the Derby way just a phrase or is he really going to allow another season to go by whilst PC develops?

So Burnley found us out by playing **** and scoring 4 goals from gifts. Maybe Dyche is a tactical genius.

29 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

So Burnley found us out by playing **** and scoring 4 goals from gifts. Maybe Dyche is a tactical genius.

Set the team to be strong and resolute in defence, difficult to break down, score on the break, yes maybe he ACTUALLY is quite smart, certainly more than the ginger haters give him credit for.

Dont excuse the fact he's a whinging **** mind ;)

26 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Set the team to be strong and resolute in defence, difficult to break down, score on the break, yes maybe he ACTUALLY is quite smart, certainly more than the ginger haters give him credit for.

Dont excuse the fact he's a whinging **** mind ;)

We were more wasteful than they were resolute, if beating ourselves is being found out then what else can you do? Dyche looks link a ginger nut biscuit that fell in the sink. The way he spoke like his team did enough to warrant scoring 4 goals was ridiculous, guy needs to learn humility.

Archived