Derby County v Manchester United

Mafiabob

If Clements won't make changes or isn't capable of doing what's necessary to turn things around then I'm seriously concerned. He seems determined to continue to select players who were brought in on, for us, huge transfer fees but who are seriously out of form.

Tuesday is the biggest game of the season so far for us, not just for the 3 points at stake but as a pointer to whether this manager can get this train back on the rails.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AndyinLiverpool said:

the tactic worked fine, genius. Because we weren't 3 or 4-1 up against the team 5th in the league higher than us, it didn't work? You're not making sense.

I don't understand your counter argument which is quite worrying given my conferred status as a genius

What a boring, lifeless performance. I appreciate, of course, the quality of the opposition but we really let them get their confidence back with our deferential approach.

I would have taken Martin off and put Blackman in the middle and Hendrick should have started. 

I know I keep on about it but the two winger approach just isn't working. It means Butterfield and Thorne have to play too deep and that for long periods, we are playing with 9.

Thorne (until his legs went as usual) was very good. As was Warnock as usual. And Butterfield was decent, even if for some reason he was yet again deep with Thorne. Whereas we had Johnson as the roaming midfielder. Who again was absolutely useless. He looks like a pub team player, seriously. 

Christie's form has really dropped off, and Martin was awful again. I know, I know, he set the goal up again, and I value that contribution. But in terms of anything else? He just mooches around and occasionally tries to get the ball. Never known a striker second to so many crosses in the last two games. Made Smalling look like Beckenbauer tonight. 

And Blackman looks like a striker out wide to me. Which is how I described Weimann earlier this season. Why are we signing strikers to play left wing? I'm confused by this scattergun approach to signings. 

Carson, Shackell and Butterfield have been superb acquisitions. Ince I'd add to them, if we'd paid a million or two. Not sure he represents for value for £5m. The rest have been poor recruits so far. 

It's Man Utd though. It's the cup. 

But I'm starting to think like the bed wetters. I fear for us. Looks like a battle to get into the top six. And, we need results quickly otherwise Clement is a gonner. Not that I'm arsed. Far too negative and cautious in his approach in my opinion. 

Butterfield holding midfield? Blackman a winger? No strikers on the bench? BRADLEY FECKN JOHNSON starts regardless? 

I'm a bit angry. LOL. I'll return when more relaxed. 

UP THE RAMS

I thought we had the wrong manager in 4weeks ago but now I know now we have 25 mil what a waist of money 

i wish we would have gone for a proven manager in this league MEL sorry I like you  but this is the biggest mistake that you have done get rid 

Butterfield was simply outstanding today. He wouldn't have looked out of place in a red shirt at all. 

Felt sorry for Cyrus. Through no fault of his own... He was simply out matched by Martial who killed him. 

Johnson though... Absolutely lost. Didn't know whether to press or sit in. Not a clue where Mata was half the game. Really really poor. He has to be dropped. 

We were very fortunate go in at 1-1 at HT. Martial squandered some great openings.

I don't care that we lost 3-1. I wasn't expecting us to win. But for a team which cost £25m on top of a decent Championship squad anyway, I was expecting much more.

We played with zero intensity, made no effort to close down or even push up.

Andwhen we got the ball, we were largely dreadful. Martin, Ince, Thorne and at a push Christie were the only players who looked like they were able players on the ball.

The rest... Johnson, Blackman and Camara were a combined £10m. I'm sorry, but for that amount I'd expect a little bit of ball ability, and if not that plenty of effort. They failed on both accounts.

And Clement's tactics were poor too. Made no sense, and it hindered us. 

We lacked quality tonight, we sat too deep and the substitutions by Paul made matters worse.

I do have concerns that we are leaking goals like a sieve and have become a spent force up front, but my real concern is Paul Clement  he looks lost on the touch line when things are not right.

Tactically we have gone back a step, I do now think he is under pressure, the Preston is a must win game and a good team performance is required.

Peter Schemichel made a very good point in the post match analysis that if we do want to get out the division, we have to be prepared to play some less attractive football. It is sometimes about lumping it over and running onto it.

Also, the real difference we're seeing now is between poor form and poor attitude. Chris Martin is doing absolutely **** all. Bradley Johnson looks very average, and if he were to leave, I wouldn't be disappointed. I'm effectively just echoing Warren (above) but things need changing. 

I personally think selling Martin, and spending the funds on Rhodes or McCormack is what we need to do. 

Archived