Is automatic promotion beyond us?

toddy

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Facts are, if we lose against Burnley-

1. We are 7 points adrift of Hull and a goal difference of ten plus whatever we lost by

2. We are 6 adrift of Boro and 6 goals plus whatever we lost by GD

3. We are 2 points adrift of Burnley and i goal behind on GD plus whatever we lost by

4. We are 1 point adrift of Brighton but have much better GD

5. We are 3 ahead of Sheff Wed and Brum but have a few goals better GD over both.

6. We are 4 points ahead of Ipswich but much better GD

We need to play against Burnley as if it were the Play Off Final

6 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

We'll finish on 90 pts, should be enough I'd have thought.

You can't possibly know this so I hope you get reminded after game 46.

Mel has said promotion this season is not a requirement for PC.

We are all aware of the issues from the past 2 seasons.

To me, this means that anything better than a play off spot is a bonus. If won, great, otherwise next year is the Top 2 year.

This year requires patience and support to the players and management whilst they work towards an understanding.

6 minutes ago, Rampage said:

1. We are 7 points adrift of Hull and a goal difference of ten plus whatever we lost by

3. We are 2 points adrift of Burnley and i goal behind on GD plus whatever we lost by

5. We are 3 ahead of Sheff Wed and Brum but have a few goals better GD over both.

you mean lose 1-0 to a bobby zamora goal?

12 minutes ago, Rampage said:

You mean play like we did against Brighton in the semis.

Things could easily swing in our favour again - we have been poor for a few weeks now but on the other hand, Boro looked imperious a couple of weeks ago and now all of a sudden a couple of below par performances and they're off the top with doubts setting in. Likewise we looked a much better side than Hull not so long ago when we beat them comfortably at their place, but now they're top of the league and looking a different team.

What I will say is that we need to get some form together quickly as there are a lot of teams playing well right now. But I wouldn't rule out automatic promotion yet with half a season to go.

In terms of Clement - well, we are now behind Brighton whose manager has had a fraction of our money to spend and only an extra half season in post.  So based on that yardstick, Clement isn't doing great at the moment. But let's see what he's made of under pressure before writing him off completely.

33 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

You can't possibly know this so I hope you get reminded after game 46.

Mel has said promotion this season is not a requirement for PC.

We are all aware of the issues from the past 2 seasons.

To me, this means that anything better than a play off spot is a bonus. If won, great, otherwise next year is the Top 2 year.

This year requires patience and support to the players and management whilst they work towards an understanding.

Of course you're right, I'll feel such a fool if we get 91!

9 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

For someone who claims promotion isn't a requirement this season he didn't half get agitated in the changing rooms the other night

There is a difference between expectations and requirements. He probably expects promotion, but doesn't require it. I imagine next season it will be a requirement. 

36 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

For someone who claims promotion isn't a requirement this season he didn't half get agitated in the changing rooms the other night

There's a massive difference between trying your best and not getting there ,

than not turning up and not getting there ..

Personally really believe we need promotion this year looking at the teams fighting relegation from the prem this year. There are some big teams not like last year burnley, hull and qpr. I'd say AV are more or less down which are very likely to splash some serious cash to get back up. 

5 hours ago, toddy said:

I have just done Hull and Boro's pts per game ratios.

Boro have gained 2.03 pts per game and would end up with 94 pts

Hull have gained 2pts per game and would end up with 92 pts

So we do need to improve quiet a bit to get into the automatic spots, it is still in our grasps to do so and we still have the players capable of winning more games then we currently have been.

It is now down to Paul Clement to see if he is the real deal?

If you had done this 3 weeks ago though you would have had Hull finishing 10 or 15 points behind us. 

For what it's worth I think we are more than capable of winning this league still but to do that I think we need a victory on Monday to kick start out season again. Another defeat would be demoralizing.

Archived