Great Expectations

Rampage

Expectations at Derby County have been raised since the 4-4 draw with Ipswich in Steve Maclaren's first game.a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then. A Play Off defeat and a 'meltdown'. What is a realistic expectation when we have a new Manager and so many new players? It takes time to build a team and a quick fix rarely works. Boro were a good side last year and have added quality players. Hull and Burnley were recently promoted and know how to do it. They have some very good players who have played together for some time. We all want promotion but what is a realistic expectation for this season? What do you think at this, the half way mark?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you're right. Our level of spending has raised the expectations bar. Personally, I think you need to offset that against the fact we do have a new manager and plenty of upheaval on the playing side. So, realistically, whilst I want auto I don't think we can complain too much if we end up in the play offs. 

I can accept that the competition at the very top of the division is quite fierce this season.  Boro have developed over a couple of seasons into an outstanding side at this level and Hull and Burnley were not disgraced in the Premiership last season (although Burnley in particular have lost key players since).

However, even before the £23 million player investment we were one of the top sides in the division, narrowly missing out on promotion in 2014 and looking set for an automatic place last year until the McClaren issues developed.  

We now have a seriously ambitious owner who has invested heavily in the squad and are also by some distance the best supported team in the Championship. The debate about 'who is the biggest club' is pointless in many ways but based on investment in players and infrastructure coupled with our fan base, we are surely better equipped to reach the Premiership than most of our peers in this league. The fact Burnley lost Shackell to us against their will says it all about the respective standings of the two clubs.

So taking all of this into account, if Clement is as good as many seem to think, getting a top two place is not an unreasonable expectation this season and anything below fourth would frankly be embarrassing when you look at the strength of the league below Burnley.

I think Rampage has hit the nail on the head. we have come close and have now strengthened so it would seem at first glance that we should expect to sit at the top table this time round.  But in many ways it is like investing in the stock market. You might get a great fund manager who trades, gambles and wins quickly but the grey haired pension fund guys take a little longer to build a portfolio without exposing themselves to great risk because you can get burned. Cutting edge Biotec start up or infrastructure giant.

I do think we have enough to be promoted but we are not playing fluidly as a team yet, so promotion might depend on a purple patch, moments of magic or the failings of those around us rather than a pure we are the best at our level. One thing for sure the current period is a testing one and sometimes it is the tests that build team spirit and cohesion. Manager and players are having their metal tested. If we can get 10 points from the next 12  then I think we will have passed that test

Playoffs that's ok But we are into a 5 year plan.After 4 years we altered the goal post to.Head coach,and a international,recruiting plan,Which because of its success Mel Morris bought into and felt his input into the Development of the club,,and transfers would do the trick.Now into the 7th year,of a masterplan,and Sam rush being instrumental in the clubs  activities,Do not throw the takes time,excuse in,,This plan is in its 7th year.

In 20013/14 We needed 15 million,-- A spine,1 central defender--1 Holding midfielder--1,Quality striker

But in those days 1.5 million was a fortune,What we have is a team that's been assembled over 6 plus seasons.

for better or for worse

Have we really strengthened midfield with that £10M last day spending spree? We may have spent a few quid on two decent midfield players but I think we have lost two better ones in Hughes and Bryson. With Will Hughes a significantly better player that we are missing. Hopefully they will both be back by March. Shackell is crying out for someone like Hughes to help him out of his 'rabbit in headlights' moments when he has the ball at his feet.

Expectations are promotion although I will not lose any sleep if it has to wait another year.

What about the forwards?

Bent, Weimann and then Blackman who are all here to play in one position against Chris Martin. 

Yet until January we had just 2 wingers. 

£20m and we still struggle to fill in for Thorne and Chris Martin. 

Bent and Ince were here before Clement met the squad.

I do think there's an element of long term thinking with Clement by the hierarchy at the club; a willingness to accept he will need to learn the ropes as a head coach after years as a number two.  I think they are banking on him being able to take the club to the next level in time (i.e. an established Premier League club) once he has found his feet.

A more established Championship/lower Premier League manager like Warnock might make a better fist of getting us up quickly but what then?

Even understanding the above though, I still think even on a learning curve Clement should be aiming to get us up automatically with all the backing he's been given.

3 hours ago, Rampage said:

Expectations at Derby County have been raised since the 4-4 draw with Ipswich in Steve Maclaren's first game.a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then. A Play Off defeat and a 'meltdown'. What is a realistic expectation when we have a new Manager and so many new players? It takes time to build a team and a quick fix rarely works. Boro were a good side last year and have added quality players. Hull and Burnley were recently promoted and know how to do it. They have some very good players who have played together for some time. We all want promotion but what is a realistic expectation for this season? What do you think at this, the half way mark?

Improvement is a realistic expectation.

Automatic promotion is an expectation we have brought upon ourselves.

Just now, Rampage said:

Mel has it in focus by saying as long as we are improving, next season may have to do.

Well at the end of the day it's his money funding the project.

If instant promotion was not the aim though I don't see why he has thrown lots of money at it? Surely the idea of bringing PC in was to improve the coaching of the team?

9 minutes ago, Rampage said:

We are in danger of being outsmarted by Karanka, Bruce and Dyche. They have more settled teams than us.

Clement has a large deficit of experience against all 3, Karanka over 350 games at senior level as a player, including a successful Champions league final, Bruce obviously at all levels, and Dyche had a decent career at lower levels before beginning his management career.

6 years as a number two, to a respected manager, a small amount of exposure before that, and you can see the obstacles he has has to overcome to get where he is now.

2 hours ago, bcnram said:

Have we really strengthened midfield with that £10M last day spending spree? We may have spent a few quid on two decent midfield players but I think we have lost two better ones in Hughes and Bryson. With Will Hughes a significantly better player that we are missing. Hopefully they will both be back by March. Shackell is crying out for someone like Hughes to help him out of his 'rabbit in headlights' moments when he has the ball at his feet.

Expectations are promotion although I will not lose any sleep if it has to wait another year.

Losing Hughes and Bryson for most of the season meant the management had 2 choices - either make do and cover their absence from within the existing squad (with a higher risk of not even making the playoffs) or invest in quality replacements so that the 2 injured players wouldn't be missed.

It's arguable whether the midfield players we spent over £11m on have justified the price tag but we are in 3rd place - time will tell.

If you take a step back, and look at the Hull and Burnley squads compared to ours, I would

say that we have evened up, and not overtaken them as alot on here would suggest. A fit Hughes

Bryson and Forsythe, might give us an edge - if they are able to play.

Archived