Fans vs Cars

drgoodspeak

44 minutes ago, Duracell said:

What it is about English football culture that makes everyone so keen to get away?....

Part of the problem is the crap road system and the total lack of traffic control at Pride Park - I park behind the Arena and on Saturday (partly because it was a large crowd and half of them left when the third goal went in), I was in a queue from the centr of the car park right through to the traffic lights at the far end of Ascot Drive - I think people rush because every minute they're later getting into their cars adds another 5 minutes to the journey. If the club could work with the council and the police, they could address the pinch points and get the traffic flowing - that would have a knock on effect of reducing the rush to get out, make the roads safer for the pedestrians and mean better support for the team.

I remember years ago leaving Villa Park from very close to the ground - I don't think we had to stop until we were well onto the A38 - there were police at every junction with the sole aim of getting traffic away from the ground as soon as possible. Leaving the iPro means queuing at every roundabout and every set of traffic lights - there are occassionally police on duty (at least near the closest roundabout to the iPro), but it's evident that they don't see traffic control as part of their remit (probably too important for such a lowly job) - a few seasons ago, the club used to pay them to actually manage the traffic, but when it became evident that they would rather stand and watch the cars rather than do anything useful, I suspect they stopped the payments, so the police now concentrate on 'crowd control' (which is another way of saying they stand around chatting).

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can imagine the reaction to this next statement, but I really don't care. I have only stayed to the final whistle once this season. The result? Ninety minutes added on to my journey home due to closing the road that runs parallel to the ground and increased traffic. Ninety minutes! First time I've had a season ticket and I took the Velodrome parking pass. I live in Leeds and doubling my journey time is not an option. I do feel a bit dirty, but I leave on 83 minutes every match and it works for me. On a night match I get home for about 2330, so no way am I adding that extra time.

Presumably the traffic management has always been like this though, so I can't see any changes coming.

I hate walking over a junction when cars are creeping out with nowhere to go. It'd be different if they had a gap to go into, then fine, I won't block their way, but I'm sure on some occassions cars inch towards walkers on purpose,  thinking I'm in me car mate, you won't hurt me.

Feel bad for that family though, it's not good for anybody when things escalate and get out of hand, especially where there's kids. 

I'm glad we don't park on PP, it's just one long hassle.

Some do. They see the car in front of them not moving. They see pedestrians walk through the gap and then they roll forward to get right tight to the car in front. It's just being a ****

Happens on roundabouts and junctions too. A car will pull out at a safe distance. Perhaps a bit closer than ideal but not causing anyone to brake. And rather than ease their foot off slightly the advancing car put his foot down so he can get all upset. 

idiots.Just stupid idiots. 

Be interesting to know who was being the idiot here. 

I know people don't condone violence but some folk don't accept abuse lightly

I can guess they were shaven head wearing Adidas gazelles and stone island. Bunch of mongoloids that refuse to grow up and enjoy football like civilised human beings. 

Hope next time the bellends punch the car of s fxcking cage fighter who in turn gives him a good hiding.

55 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I can guess they were shaven head wearing Adidas gazelles and stone island. Bunch of mongoloids that refuse to grow up and enjoy football like civilised human beings. 

Hope next time the bellends punch the car of s fxcking cage fighter who in turn gives him a good hiding.

I shave my head and sometimes I even wear Addidas, although I don't have any Stone Island but have mates that do, does that make me and my mates mongoloids? And believe it or believe it not, I enjoy my football and haven't been in any trouble with the police at the match for 30+ years, but don't let that stop you from pigeon holing people eh..  

And If you had bothered to read the report on this story, you would have seen that the people that damaged the car were wearing club colours, does that make everybody that wears club colours a mongoloid or a bellend?

I've had a car nudge forward into my leg as I was crossing in front of a junction up fron David Lloyds. I had my 2 kids in tow behind me but he kept nudging forward.

ok, there's loads of people trying to walk away, some park close to the ground for personal reasons, but I'm afraid you'll have to wait, if I stop to let you drive forward, nobody else will stop so there's really no point in trying to force your way forward.

like others have said, give it 10 mins, and the same to the guys behind you losing their tempers too.

1 minute ago, Boycie said:

I've had a car nudge forward into my leg as I was crossing in front of a junction up fron David Lloyds. I had my 2 kids in tow behind me but he kept nudging forward.

ok, there's loads of people trying to walk away, some park close to the ground for personal reasons, but I'm afraid you'll have to wait, if I stop to let you drive forward, nobody else will stop so there's really no point in trying to force your way forward.

like others have said, give it 10 mins, and the same to the guys behind you losing their tempers too.

I stand in front of the car and stare the driver down while LR and the kids pass behind me. I imagine I'm Jake Buxton - the drivers **** themselves.

Hey, I can see how frustrating it will be when you've paid your money or work close to the iPro and want to get away, but the sheer amount of people that probably don't even know there's a junction will be massive, everyone's trying to get home asap, but if you hit a pedestrian your naturally going to encounter some serious confrontation.

It's not worth it.

29 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Hey, I can see how frustrating it will be when you've paid your money or work close to the iPro and want to get away, but the sheer amount of people that probably don't even know there's a junction will be massive, everyone's trying to get home asap, but if you hit a pedestrian your naturally going to encounter some serious confrontation.

It's not worth it.

Not being able to get away quickly is one of the prices to pay for supporting a reasonably good football team, I'm afraid.

Some of these fans in such a rush should have been supporting the club in 1985 - they'd have loved it. We averaged less than 11,000 that season.

8 minutes ago, eddie said:

Not being able to get away quickly is one of the prices to pay for supporting a reasonably good football team, I'm afraid.

Some of these fans in such a rush should have been supporting the club in 1985 - they'd have loved it. We averaged less than 11,000 that season.

It was still slow going up rose hill street.

Archived