Derby County v Birmingham City.

Boycie

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can have all the 5,6 million pound players you like but if you don't have workers and guys with right attitude around them it means f--- all 

the right attitude wins this league albeit you need ability but I just don't see it with this team when the chips are down 

Butterfield has to start and I think Tom Ince should be moved alongside him in front of Thorne. I think that would be a vast improvement. Apart from one wayward cross Camara looked really good on the Wing so that was a bright spot.

15 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Rampage's 'definitive' reasons for mini meltdown (crisis of confidence)

1. We were not playing well but were difficult to beat

2. Wrong priority at Xmas. We prioritised the Boro game by not concentrating on Leeds game

3. Wrong team selection v Leeds

4. Late subbing of Butterfield lost the game against Boro

5. Signing two new players apparently sent the wrong message to the other players

6. Wrong midfield against Reading, so over run

7. No plan against Reading who attacked us from the kick off

8. Strange stories from dressing room after Reading match

9. No Butterfield starting against Brum

10. Too many players not in their best positions leading to confusion

11. Playing as individuals not as a team

12. Not sticking to 433 which favours our best team

13.Individual dips in player performances

14. Loss of confidence

Carson often made a big save before we got our first goal

Thorne not fully fit

Spot on ,if you now know how to put it right get you C.V. in quick.

4 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Butterfield has to start and I think Tom Ince should be moved alongside him in front of Thorne. I think that would be a vast improvement. Apart from one wayward cross Camara looked really good on the Wing so that was a bright spot.

I agree with you about butterfield but if Bryson is now fit he should start alongside Thorne and butterfield , his work rate is missed and Chris Martin is not half the player without Bryson in the team 

2 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

Spot on ,if you now know how to put it right get you C.V. in quick.

Back to 433 and stick to it

Carson in goal.

Ten man defence against Burnley

Best player in training for each position regardless of transfer fee.

Hold our nerve, see if we can stop losing games.

Play Offs is target at the moment

We weren't playing well but 0-0 at half time was fair.

then two poor goals.

the keeper is rooted to his line for the corner, and the second is another for the video howler collection.

possibly lucky not to concede a penalty when he fumbled the free kick and then clattered into donaldson.

in terms of performance johnson and ince were poor. Butterfield dropped yet again?

just too slow in the build up to offer any threat. Too much deedandering as B4 would say.

Its a big test for PC now. Management is not all about coaching and tactics. Its about man-management too.

poor interview after the Reading game won't help him now.

game on.

1 minute ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Why was the defence so deep in that game anyway? Everytime Birmingham got the ball there was a huge gap between defence and midfield and we were under instant pressure. 

Johnson and Russell shouldn't play, they are about as useful as having two greyhounds chasing the ball. 

We have been playing too deep all season, At home the defensive line should be pushing up near the half way line. It i taking us 3 or 4 passes to get anywhere near the half way line. The whole team need to move 20/30 yards up the pitch

Just now, timmo said:

We have been playing too deep all season, At home the defensive line should be pushing up near the half way line. It i taking us 3 or 4 passes to get anywhere near the half way line. The whole team need to move 20/30 yards up the pitch

Exactly, every attack takes so long to build up as we are far to deep and our attackers end up having to push further back making it even more difficult to start an attack. 

Right - after making a point against all those who say we shouldn't boo our players, here we go. Note that I didn't boo them at the ground today, but equally they shouldn't play like they have done for the last two games either - if any of us performed in our day jobs like that, we would at least face disciplinary action, probably the sack.

In actual fact, we did up our game from Tuesday in the first half, and there was an absolutely stonewall penalty in the first half when Ince was bear-hugged off the ball in the penalty area but the ref bottled it - it could have completely changed the outcome. It did look like we were likely to score, but in the second half it was as if we stayed in the dressing rooms. Nobody seemed that bothered, and it was no surprise when Birmingham scored, with terrible defending almost giving them a goal. We maqde sure by giving them their second goal, but we had by then been completely baffled by the subsitutions. Russell was awful, and shouldn't really have started, and proved it with more of the same dross he has been giving us for the last few games, but at least he works hard to give us that dross, and I was surprised that Butterfield was dropped to the bench - when played in his proper position, he has been really good. Bradley Johnson was awful yet again, and should have been replaced. But no, somehow he was deemed OK to carry on. Instead, we'll take off our best player, and the only one who seemed like he gave a damn. Then move Hendrick back to holding-mid, despite him being the only other player who wanted to do something positive. So that nullified any form of midfield creativity. Secondly, we take Ince off, when he was doing better than Russell to make room for Camara, who should have started.

What we are suffering from is the result of Clement's careful, careful approach. Instead of getting the ball forwards quickly. we our playing loads of sideways and backwards, always picking the safe option, and no-one taking a chance to put a ball through to open the opposition up. And being so cautious gives the opposition time to reorganise and close us down. We have been moaning about Martin's inneffectiveness, but he has suffered more than anyone from our cautious approach, and is playing much deeper than he used to, which is why his goals have dried up. It is worth noting that Blackman didn't do a great deal because he got the same lack of decent service, which says it is our midfield, and our style of play which is more at fault than Chris Martin. I actually enjoyed watching Reading on Tuesday, because they were playing like we ought to have been, in a style which used to be ours.

Our defence has been much more reliable this season, and we have cut out that "gung-ho" approach 
which often left us short at the back, but it has killed the spark which was so vital to our attacking play. We need to move back towards that, whilst holding on to the defensive discipline which Paul Clement has brought us.

There is still time, so COME ON YOU RAMS!

1 minute ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

What were those substitutions today anyway? Bradley Johnson and Nick Blackman were awful, but both managed to say on whilst some of our most important players like Thorne and Ince came off. It is no surprise we let in 2 goals as soon as Thorne came off. 

Agreed. Clements substitutions seem to negatively affect our game much more often than they positively impact I'm afraid. 

Archived