RIP David Bowie

admira

10 minutes ago, bcnram said:

Listened to it on Spotify on Friday. It may be to some peoples taste and will obviously sell well now. I thought it was just about the poorest thing I've heard from him. Such a great and individual artist though.

thanks ..

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Ovis aries said:

I agree with you in the most part, but if you dislike someone intensely as I did Thatcher ,who hurt and ruined the lives of thousands of people, then IMHO she deserves no respect dead or alive.

The polite thing to do is to keep out whilst other members pay their respects because they may not share the same hatred for X person as what you do.

A public forum draws so many people together from different religious, political even musical backgrounds.

Not everybody will enjoy the music by Michael Jackson or David Bowie, not everybody shares the same political beliefs as others.

Today a person has died, that person is David Bowie, who had friends and family that loved him, fans that his music touched so many.

Those fans should be able to pay their respects without any hatred, trolling, wumming and the same should apply for any death with no exceptions because it's the polite thing to do.

The thing about music is , it can grow on you , nothing to do with Bowie , but

i hated Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen with a vengeance when heard it for the first time ,

Now it's in my top ten favourites .

A lot of Bowies music 'grows' that way ..

25 minutes ago, bcnram said:

Listened to it on Spotify on Friday. It may be to some peoples taste and will obviously sell well now. I thought it was just about the poorest thing I've heard from him. Such a great and individual artist though.

To be fair, he wrote it knowing he was a few months from death so I doubt his creative juices were overflowing. I've bought it but not heard it yet. The critics like it and one of the things that made Bowie unique and appealing was the ability to re-invent himself over and over again, using different genres.

We are all entitled to our opinions but he's probably the biggest musical influence on me to have died in my lifetime. 

6 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

I can relate to what he is saying though. Can honestly say, and I don't mean it disrespectfully, that I never 'got' the whole Bowie thing from a musical point of view. I do however see the fascination with him as a personality and as an icon. I can also see where he was somewhat revolutionary and experimental, which is ultimately influential when it comes to music.

All those millions of fans cannot all be wrong, just not for me. 

Twitter is full of Bowie stuff and with people jumping on the bandwagon to say nice things about him.

Some people today feeling how I felt last week over Lemmy. It's almost like losing a loved one - but then you realise that they are not really REALLY dead - put their music on and they live on.

RIP David Bowie.

2 hours ago, Ovis aries said:

I agree with you in the most part, but if you dislike someone intensely as I did Thatcher ,who hurt and ruined the lives of thousands of people, then IMHO she deserves no respect dead or alive.

No, unless it's sad dam or bin laden or someone like that I can't think it's a good thing to be disrespectful. Thatcher didn't ruin anyone's lives... Can't blame her for coal mines closing any more than you can blame Gordon bRown for woolworths closing. Times , markets and people's tastes have changed, now we import our coal and buy our retail stuff on-line. It's nothing to do with Governments. 

Bowie was a legend by the way, there's nothing more I can add to that. 

Not a fan of his choons, apart from Let's Dance which was awesome - but like others I just didn't 'get' him. 

Cancer though. Awful way to go. Thoughts to his family and legions of fans, he was very well liked and respected.

3 hours ago, eddie said:

Some people today feeling how I felt last week over Lemmy. It's almost like losing a loved one - but then you realise that they are not really REALLY dead - put their music on and they live on.

RIP David Bowie.

Fantastic way of looking at it Eddie!

Archived