Butterfield

Lord_Ram

How good is he?

Perfect replacement for Hughes injury, his substitution against boro definitely highlighted that we need him in our midfield, especially when we don't have Thorne as we can't control the midfield, makes us tick just like young will and without him we struggle to control the midfield

hes had some absolutely fantastic performances, classy, can see a pass, great with the ball at his feet and gets us moving forward

i think what we (and clement) will have learned from that is if he's fit he plays, at least until Hughes has 100% recovered, just imagine a midfield of Hughes Butterfield and Thorne, the opposition wouldn't touch the ball

looks like a right coup so far, let's hope he can continue.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A positive thread? After a loss? MODS! 

Just kidding.

Butterfield really has stepped up, especially now he knows what his role is in this team. Hughes-lite, if you Will. He's a really forward thinking player, popped up with a few vital goals, keeps hold of the ball and distributes well.

I'd love to see a midfield 3 of Hughes, Butterfield and Thorne. Death by passing. However, I don't think this would work with the formation in its current guise. Would love to see:

Martin           Bent
                       Ince
       Butterfield Thorne Hughes

With Hughes and Butterfield supported by Christie and Warnock on their respective sides, and vice versa. From Clement's comments pre-Boro, it sounds like Will is coming back physically stronger from this injury, as he's been pounding the gym. Top attitude from who is still a young man.

However, while I hope Hughes can come back soon, I don't want him rushed back - we saw how damaging that was with Thorne last season. Keep giving him 10 or so minutes in Feb/March with a view to a full game in April.

Since Butters signed we've lost just two games. Against Forest where he was on the bench until the 70th minute and so nothing to do with the goal. And today, where again he was on the bench as both goals went in. It might be irrelevant, just a quirky statistic, but it's difficult to say he's actually lost in a Derby shirt yet. If you get my drift? 

I think he's excellent. Our best signing after Shackell. Little surprised to hear Boro fans boo him when he was subbed off. I thought he was well liked by them. I felt like booing the sub though myself...

He's class. 

Like Hughes, he doesn't just look to get a good passing stat, he doesn't panic pass, he doesn't go backwards or sideways without looking forward first. He's very good dribbling. Embarrassing the wingers when he goes out wide because he drives where he wants to go rather than being ushered where defenders want him. 

He finds players who are in good positions rather than those who are easiest for him. 

Was disappointed he went off today. I thought he was one of the players dealing well with Boro's pressing and always finding a way out. 

Hopefully one day he'll smile

13 hours ago, DesertRam said:

I was surprised when he came off, he played well.

Boro looked just that step ahead today though.

This season they always look very strong physically and mentally and extremely well organised.  And they plan to further strengthen   this month for the final push.          Champions?

boro fans clapped butterfield i dont know if the booing came from derby fans at his substitution. butterfield is a very good player and never let boro down when he played for us. Only reason we let him go was because we were desperate to sign Adam Clayton and huddersfield wanted Jacob to replace him. Huddersfield have done very good out of the deal as effectively they paid 1 mill for jacob and got a 25% sell on clause with Clayton.

11 minutes ago, boro.mfc said:

boro fans clapped butterfield i dont know if the booing came from derby fans at his substitution. butterfield is a very good player and never let boro down when he played for us. Only reason we let him go was because we were desperate to sign Adam Clayton and huddersfield wanted Jacob to replace him. Huddersfield have done very good out of the deal as effectively they paid 1 mill for jacob and got a 25% sell on clause with Clayton.

He is starting to look like an extremely good player for us. I'm not sure if there was any booing towards the substitution to be honest. Certainly from where I was sat I didn't hear any. Btw i think when you guys scored your first, I've never seen/heard a stadium erupt so loudly. It was quite a sight (Through my tears) 

Thank you Ramos. Was talking to derby fans in boro centre after the match and a few of them commented on our fans and seemed quite suprised lol. And without doubt derby were the best away fans ive seen at the riverside this season in the league. (bar everton in the cup they had 5k and were very loud) 

Uurghh heave. I can't stand this Boro love in.

look you buggers we are after you. Sod all this, we'll settle for second place cr@p that i keep reading.

as for butters - he's been superb. Hardly ever gives the ball away. Great in tight situations.

just lose the beard and go and score some fkn goals.

As good as Butterfield is, I can see logic why Karanka wanted Clayton...

Butter's is a player you won't see too often nowadays. Classy, old school centre midfield playmaker. He is no Hughes, but I'm glad we have him.

Archived