Missing ingredient?

Eatonram

12 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Wide players don't do enough for me. 8/10 performances are few and far between.  

Warnock has the worst passing options in the team. There's nothing in front of him. Ever.

Always drop into that inside forward position and it's an impossible pass. 

We're fine as we are. But if we're talking about trying to improve then i'd look to the wingers. They aren't very helpful. Too happy to stand still while others bust a gut. 

Butterfield and Cyrus go out to those wing positions and embarass the wingers with some of the clever play.

They do have their moments. Mostly Ince. But he offers the least when we don't have the ball. 

They aren't rubbish. But they are the weakest area imo

I am disappointed that Weimann has not grabbed this league by the scruff of its neck, but perhaps like Ince he is struggling in the wide role, which neither are suited to. Ince and Russell in particular ran themselves silly today, but once again (for me) Russell evidenced that he has neither the control or composure needed going forward.  

I think we can go up this year because we have a good defence, and a good workmanlike midfield. Because of this we have not, and I think will not, concede many goals this season so we need to obtain more quality up front. Martin is out of form, and needs competition for his starting spot, and we need a winger better than the current Russell/Weimann option.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't see the game today, but thought for a while that we seem a little tired. 

The fa cup has come at a welcome time. Give the normal starting 11 a break and let's see Baird/Pearce etc.

then hopefully get Carson back in.

Bryson too would be a boost.

we really need to find our most effective midfield team. 

Theres got to be  way in which we can fit in Thorne/Butterfield/Johnson/Hendrick and be completely domineering and effective.

at the moment we haven't found an effective combination of those 3 that really shines.

Martin needs a rest and some meaningful competition and I think we'll be grand.

1 hour ago, AnimalisaRam said:

I think we are missing an element of surprise. Teams know what we are about now. 

Martin seems to be getting more and more isolated. Is it because we aren't getting players close enough to him? Or are teams wising up to him, cutting off his supply? His wardrobe trick is winning fewer free kicks than ever, are referees wise to him? Maybe he needs to adapt to this.

Can't help but feel we missed Forsyth today. I like Warnock, don't get me wrong, he's been excellent recently, but I think we needed more going forward from the full backs. With Leadbitter and Clayton suffocating the midfield, it needed the width. Friend and Nsue were working their nuts off going forward and back.

Or, we needed 10% more from all the players today. From what I heard on RD, sounded like Russell, Shackell and Hendrick had decent games, and some wonder saves from Grant.

Russell was a threat with his direct running but his end product was laughably bad. One shot went out for a throw. 

Hendrick I forgot was playing. Again. But RD (or CR to be precise) think he's Bobby Charlton.

Shackell was solid as ever, one dodgy pass that could have cost us. 

Grant was superb. 

39 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I am disappointed that Weimann has not grabbed this league by the scruff of its neck, but perhaps like Ince he is struggling in the wide role, which neither are suited to. Ince and Russell in particular ran themselves silly today, but once again (for me) Russell evidenced that he has neither the control or composure needed going forward.  

I think we can go up this year because we have a good defence, and a good workmanlike midfield. Because of this we have not, and I think will not, concede many goals this season so we need to obtain more quality up front. Martin is out of form, and needs competition for his starting spot, and we need a winger better than the current Russell/Weimann option.

Feel like with Weimann it just screams that he's a striker playing on the wing! He's got all the attributes of a striker. Always dangerous when he gets a sniff in the box but he can't be there when he's out on the wing! If he were in a 4-4-2 side (I'm not saying we should do this just to accommodate Weimann) iv no doubt he would hit 20 a season in the championship. It's like Blackburn farming Jordan Rhodes out onto the wing imo

4 minutes ago, dajstrawb said:

Feel like with Weimann it just screams that he's a striker playing on the wing! He's got all the attributes of a striker. Always dangerous when he gets a sniff in the box but he can't be there when he's out on the wing! If he were in a 4-4-2 side (I'm not saying we should do this just to accommodate Weimann) iv no doubt he would hit 20 a season in the championship. It's like Blackburn farming Jordan Rhodes out onto the wing imo

Even if Weimann was upfront, no way would he get twenty a season.

1) The current formation doesn't stop him getting up ther. If you are good enough you'll find the spaces. Ince did it in five mins against Leeds.

2) Weimanns pathetic attempt at knocking the ball past the Leeds goaly when 1-on-1 on Tue night summed him up.

I was really excited and happy when we signed him. Now I can see why Sherwood didn't touch him!!

Someone, anyone who can take a decent corner - our corners are rubbish. 

Someone who can cross a ball, or anyone who can cross a ball. 

As much as I absolutely love Johnny Russell's effort and running, he simply isn't good enough !!. No end product time after time. 

If we want to continue to play with a holding midfielder, then we need to play 3 at the back and have 2 much more skilled, direct and be able to beat a man and cross the griffin ball. 

Thats all. 

??

2 hours ago, McLovin said:

I think a pacy winger and striker are needed. 

Antonio would have been a coup but unfortunately he has now broken into the West Ham side and shown he is more than capable in the PL. His impact in the last two games as been huge. Such a shame. I genuinely think we were just a few days off from landing him at least on loan for the rest of the season. 

7 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Well we are signing a goalkeeper this Monday and rumour in France is a pacey striker is on his way to Derby

I think the guy from france we are signing is a winger. Would still like to see us sign a pacy striker too,someone like dwight gayle because martin isn't doing enough in my humble opinion.

How much will we realistically spend in jan? We can dream and say 15m odd, but i think it wont be much higher than 6-7m unless something great becomes doable.... ie... austin (which is highly unlikely) a lbk should be a priority.... yes we have warnock lowe baird can play there etc.... but we need a promotion capable lbk like boros, striker wise and on wings we have issues, and these were clear before today, martins goals have dried up, bent came here 2-3 years too late, ince isn't an out an out winger, we havent utilised weimann well enough (so much potential there) and as for johnny as much as i love him, he is too hot and cold, a winger with dynamite pace and an alternative striker option are required.... but to get these three players we will have to spend close to 6-7m if not more..... if looking for proven at this level players the costs will be exceptionally more..... disappointed gray has gone to festa and antonio has started playing.... both would be ideal

From an outsider looking in, you were beaten by a much better overall team today. Boro are not just one step but two or three ahead of any other team in the Champioship this season. I don't think there's not much difference between at least another ten teams in the league, very fine margins & a big element of luck can be the difference between winning, losing, & drawing. 

As a keen football fan, who enjoys all aspects of a competitive Championship year in year out my only observation I have on Derby is that you seem to rely on Chris Martin too much & have done for several seasons now. As excellent as he's been for you I think until you fined another spark up front in the way of an out & out goalscorer you may not make an automatic promotion place this season. There not easy to fine I admit, especially in January. Anyway GOOD LUCK for the rest of the season.

A Neutral

I hate to say it, but the missing ingredient is an upgrade on Johnny Russell.

The move today where he burst through, then hit a shot against the keepers legs, even though Ince had moved a couple a yards off his marker, and was crying out for a pull back and tap in, proves it, great endeavour but not the final ball to go with it.

5 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

The move today where he burst through, then hit a shot against the keepers legs, even though Ince had moved a couple a yards off his marker, and was crying out for a pull back and tap in, proves it, great endeavour but not the final ball to go with it.

gulp .... i hate to say this but he may be right :(

40 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

This!

He's frustrated the hell out of me, and I called for him to replace Weimann as he also frustrated the hell out of me.

Ince frustrates me too.

wide men seem to be the problems, at the back and up front in my opinion.

Agree with the majority on here that the wingers need to step up. Russell and Weimann to me look like strikers that have been shoved out wide whilst Ince is so much better off the front it's laughable. Also, Martin's not the problem at all, get players near him and he'll create chances all day long. I wouldn't mind seeing Johnson get closer to him considering the amount be scored at Norwich last season. Overall I think it's just little tweaks here and there that will improve us or maybe a fresh face or two, nothing drastic.

Shape ! 

As daft as it sounds I really don't think we suit 4 3 3 anymore ! 

When clement 1st came in i think he sawe had no real natural quality wingers ! That's why he wanted to try and implement a diamond midfield with 2 up top , obviously we started slow so I think the pressure was on to revert back to something we no but I think he was on to something : 

Carson 

Christie keogh     shackell    warnock 

Thorne 

Johnson         Butterfield  

Ince 

Martin          bent /Weimann 

This way we could get the width from the wing backs Thorne could drop to cover then plenty more players playing in natural positions .

I haven't seen the game but the goals are terrible.

for the second warnock is miles upfield and out of position, leaving a huge hole which weimann tries to fill.

boro eventually exploit the space to score

the same as brighton did for their second goal.

warnock has cost us two goals and two points imo.

Grant cost us two points v Leeds

these errors in defence and these points are starting to add up.

Also George is struggling and we still have no natural replacement. The defence was exposed for the first by a lack of protection.

at the moment our team depends entirely on Thorne and Martin playing well because thats who our best team is set up around. they'e both out of form currently and if they continue to be out of form then i expect the team will begin to evolve and find it's self built around stronger more consistent members of the squad. the fact that we have very capable players playing out of position at the minute is a sign we have the potential to change it around. having said that, I'm more than sure both players can recapture their good form, there is nothing we've seen that would suggest otherwise. the team has abit of growing to do before we dominate a good side like Boro did today. but maybe we should have known that already. COYR 

Archived