English managers

Sexydadbod

I know there has always been an obsession by the media to overhype English coaches but is it me or has this been more prominent in the last month or so? For example I was watching gillette soccer saturday earlier today where they were discussing candidates for the swansea jobs and the panel basically dismissed Bielsa and asked who he is. Tony cottee described him as "this bielsa fella." Bielsa is only the guy who Sir alex ferguson drooled over , created an Argentinian and chile legacy, the man who inspired and coached a generation of young coaches like guardiola and pochettino. Nothing special(sarcasm). They went on to suggest names like dyche and rowett instead of bielsa simply because he doesn't know the premier league and because he isnt english. Only a braindead owner would choose them over a Bielsa. They later went on to praise the backside of Mcclaren and pulis but criticized Klopp because of liverpool's celebration ,even though this is common in Germany. Earlier in the show they were also discussing candidates for the chelsea job where they said that mark hughes and alan pardew are better managers than guardiola and simeone. One pundit even said that simeone hasn't achieved anything in his career and he doesn't understand why people are suggesting him for the chelsea job. As someone put on twitter earlier in relation to this it's no wonder why english football is struggling. I've seen this mentality on bt sport,sky and match of the day

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, zaragozaram said:

Bielsa? won nothing.

As opposed to dyche and rowett who have won many trophies haven't they? Laurent Koscielny said that bielsa is so intense that players run out of gas towards the end of the season. I'm assuming that you're in spain because of your username. That athletic bilbao team under bielsa was very special

7 minutes ago, McLovin said:

As opposed to dyche and rowett who have won many trophies haven't they? Laurent Koscielny said that bielsa is so intense that players run out of gas towards the end of the season. I'm assuming that you're in spain because of your username. That athletic bilbao team under bielsa was very special

Dyche and Rowett are not being touted for the Swansea job as far as I am aware. 

Bilbao? Nice football, bit unlucky, but I repeat they won nothing.

29 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Most of them are idiots.

Worst - Phil Thompson & Paul Merson

Best (of a bad bunch) - Charlie Nicholas & Matt Le Tissier

As for reporters at the grounds - Chris Kamara - I ask you, what a clown!

Kamara plays the clown though - and plays it well.

Bielsa is a fruit loop, wouldn't say he's the only manager Ferguson has drooled over either.

English managers are usually overlooked when it comes to the big jobs, when you look at how Mark Hughes and changed Stoke why couldn't he go into Chelsea and do a job there? 

Always chasing the big foreign names when you have managers here that could do just as good of a job with the resources available. Look at United, is Van Gaal any better than Moyes?

Rowett to Swansea would make sense, proven himself with poor clubs, be great to see what he could do with a better squad. 

And that Klopp celebration after drawing 1-1 with WBA was ridiculous and embarrassing, I don't care if they do that in Germany, if I ever saw Derby celebrate a mid season draw like that I would run down and punch every player on the nose twice.

Ferguson also drooled over Moyes so much that he got him the biggest job in English football management if not the world football management and look where that went......and not Van Gaal is doing what exactly..?

As for Klopp.....he now has a worse record this season than Rogers did for the victims when he was sacked....will he get sacked? 

So, no I wouldn't say that we over hype the English/British managers really there are good and bad and by the way I would say that like his style of football or not Pulls has been VERY successful over the years.

Clubs are going for names, rather than managers who are good these days.

Hughes and Pardew have done well at more than one club each with very limit resources.

There seems an obsession with managers who have won titles and trophies.

So following on from an era where fergie won everything and very limited success from anyone else, perhaps wenger, or maybe morinhio, it means lets find a serie a winner, a la liga winner or a bundersliga winner.

Mark Hughes, Steve Bruce, Alan Pardew, David Moyes have all done as well as any foreign manager would have done in charge of their respective clubs at the time.

Sam Allardyce too, but because they haven't won anything, they'll never get the chance to find out what it's like to manage a big, big club.

ANY manager, coach, chief executive, or whatever, looks better if the team, business empire, department, etc, is doing well. The opposite is also true, the person "at the top" (who is often at the beck and call of a host of unseen "seniors" (management team, governors, board of directors etc.) shoulders the blame for poor performance and negative outcomes.

it helps if manager and team speak the same language, sing from the same hymn sheet, share common goals, make a difference, and have SMART targets.

in sport the outcomes are public property on a scale unknown  in most other spheres of life.

The nationality of a manager does not determine success or failure but I for one am a great proponent of "home grown" and "in-house" recruitment and promotion as the best route to ambition and loyalty at all levels.

On 20 December 2015 at 09:14, Daveo said:

Bielsa is a fruit loop, wouldn't say he's the only manager Ferguson has drooled over either.

English managers are usually overlooked when it comes to the big jobs, when you look at how Mark Hughes and changed Stoke why couldn't he go into Chelsea and do a job there? 

Always chasing the big foreign names when you have managers here that could do just as good of a job with the resources available. Look at United, is Van Gaal any better than Moyes?

Rowett to Swansea would make sense, proven himself with poor clubs, be great to see what he could do with a better squad. 

And that Klopp celebration after drawing 1-1 with WBA was ridiculous and embarrassing, I don't care if they do that in Germany, if I ever saw Derby celebrate a mid season draw like that I would run and punch every player in the nose twice.

We wouldn't be there.... We would have already left before the end... Half fans :p

All depends on club expectations.

Hughes, Pulis, Allardyce etc. Are masters at survival, drawing every inch out of their players and drilling them to pull of shock wins over the so-called Premier League big boys.

This is great for a team near the bottom, but these strengths won't work at bigger clubs. 

Hughes for instance was excellent at Blackburn, terrible at Man City, good at Fulham and now good at Stoke.

Every manager will have a blip on their CV somewhere. But what made the Moyes appointment at United so bizarre, and I said this at the time, was his managerial style and mentality.

He didn't have the ingredients needed to feature at a big club. His Everton teams a lot of the time were set up to stop the opposition, not dominate them. At least LVG had big-team experience.

Of the English managers I'd throw my weight behind Pardew, as his Palace teams look to win games by playing attacking football rather than play defensive football to earn points. 

He actually has the perfect shape too. A mobile CF, two strong wingers, a nice blend of pace, creativity and defensive nous in midfield as Palace regularly play 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. Yes they've been rubbish at times this season too, but that's largely due to the type of players he's dealing with.

Pardew IMO could do a job at Man United. There are better foreign candidates out there, but as far as English managers go, he's got the right sort of idea.

On 12/20/2015 at 09:14, Daveo said:

And that Klopp celebration after drawing 1-1 with WBA was ridiculous and embarrassing, I don't care if they do that in Germany, if I ever saw Derby celebrate a mid season draw like that I would run down and punch every player on the nose twice.

Hughes is a much better manager when he doesn't have a lot of money to throw around.  The two times he's had a big budget (Cit-eh & QPR) he's got terrible results.

I wouldn't say British managers are over hyped at all, if anything it's the opposite.  You're never going to see a Pardew or a Howe at the top 6 clubs.   As with every aspect of the Premier League, everyone is obsessed with the cosmopolitan ways of foreign imports, started with players, then the managers.  Now every middle-tier club in the land wants to be taken over by a Texas oil baron or Egyptian prince because the Jack Walkers of the world are so 1990's darling.  Makes me ever more grateful for Mr Morris & PC...

Archived