Star Wars

Day

Going to see it on Thursday.

Most of the reviews I've read say it's fine but the main problem appears to be the lack of jeopardy in the action sequences, seeing as you know the outcomes of the main characters.

We shall see......

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Wolfie said:

Most of the reviews I've read say it's fine but the main problem appears to be the lack of jeopardy in the section sequences, seeing as you know the outcomes of the main characters.

We shall see......

Yeah thats another problem, no matter what the peril, you know that Han and Chewbacca will survive! But if you can put that to one side, its an enjoyable romp with a good few twists and turns. Enjoy!

On 26/05/2018 at 22:39, Parsnip said:

I think I watched star wars when I was a kid, I've never seen any of the new ones. Without looking through 50 pages, am I to assume that some people don't think star wars is crap? I always thought it was crap?! Is it not crap?

IMO, the movies are not very good, in a technical aspect (even the ones most people think are good) - but its a very easy lore to buy into and get immersed in. At which point all you need are bright colors, funky sounds and vaguely relatable characters.

I've become somewhat tired of it - its a little over saturated for me. 

27 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Most of the reviews I've read say it's fine but the main problem appears to be the lack of jeopardy in the action sequences, seeing as you know the outcomes of the main characters.

Yeah - but to be fair, that's hardly a new problem for the Star Wars franchise is it? Of the 10 films so far half of them have explored back stories where you know the general outcome. That's one of the main reasons I enjoyed the 2 new trilogy films, I genuinely had no idea who would live and who would die or where the story would go next

I'd argue that the lack of jeopardy was a bigger issue for Rogue One, as the whole plot was how they stole the Death Star plans, so there was never any doubt in how it would end, no matter how hard they tried to make you feel it was about to fail

At least with the heist plot in Solo you didn't know what the outcome would be

1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

Yeah - but to be fair, that's hardly a new problem for the Star Wars franchise is it? Of the 10 films so far half of them have explored back stories where you know the general outcome. That's one of the main reasons I enjoyed the 2 new trilogy films, I genuinely had no idea who would live and who would die or where the story would go next

I'd argue that the lack of jeopardy was a bigger issue for Rogue One, as the whole plot was how they stole the Death Star plans, so there was never any doubt in how it would end, no matter how hard they tried to make you feel it was about to fail

At least with the heist plot in Solo you didn't know what the outcome would be

I agree with the first paragraph but not the bold bit.

Yes, you knew that they'd get the plans - the main objective of the film - but when was the last time you saw an action/adventure film where they fail to achieve the goal, one way or another?. I can't think of one and, though you know that they'll get there in the end, the emotional engagement is all about how they do it and who makes it out alive. The jeopardy of Rogue 1 was all around the fate of the characters.

1 minute ago, Wolfie said:

you know that they'll get there in the end, the emotional engagement is all about how they do it and who makes it out alive. The jeopardy of Rogue 1 was all around the fate of the characters.

Fair enough - in that case I doubt you'll have a problem with Solo. To me they did the same thing, probably better, plus there were three or four decent twists that I didn't see coming

5 hours ago, Wolfie said:

We shall see......

That was a problem with avengers though. My only criticism of that is that we all know there’s going to be a Spider-Man 2, a Black panther 2, and a doctor strange 2. So however bad it gets for them, you know they’ll find some way out in the end. And that just lessened the shock value at half the characters dying throughout the film. 

But that didn’t stop me enjoying the film immensely. So I figure if I can get over that, I can probably enjoy Solo too. 

I’ve watched all the Star Wars films recently, and made it a bit of a tradition to go with my daughter. But for some reason this one hasn’t quite grabbed my attention like the sequels have or rogue one (for some reason I really liked rogue one, probably my favourite of all of them). 

10 hours ago, Wolfie said:

We shall see......

I don't think that particularly detracts from it. It's a fun adventure film. I love Indiana Jones and at no point did I ever think he would die (watch him die in the new one now).

I was waiting for Han, Luke and Leia to come a cropper and felt like a nervous wreck after watching Episode 8.

On 16/12/2015 at 09:48, StivePesley said:

Exactly this.

I'll take your confusion as genuine rather than an attempt to wind people up, but seriously - if you watch any scifi films from the late 70s/early 80s they all look crap now. You have to watch them and appreciate how groundbreaking they were at the time, and how magical kids of that era found them

Sacrilege! Alien was made in '79 and Bladerunner in '82. 

I enjoyed it - a bit. Solid 6/10 but no more than that.

Biggest problem for me was that I didn't warm to Han but then he isn't one of my favourite characters anyway, so maybe that's just me. I also found the bits about how his name came about and meeting Chewie a bit cringy. A couple of good twists, though and I liked some of the nods to stuff in episodes 4-6.

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

I also found the bits about how his name came about and meeting Chewie a bit cringy.

Oh yeah - agree, especially the sudden "i know a bit of woookie" get out

The bit where they give him the surname Solo is naff but totally cancelled out by the great debate settling scene where he corrects the pronunciation of Han ?

4 hours ago, StivePesley said:

Oh yeah - agree, especially the sudden "i know a bit of woookie" get out

The bit where they give him the surname Solo is naff but totally cancelled out by the great debate settling scene where he corrects the pronunciation of Han ?

I dont usually see things coming in films but I had to give myself a bit of a pat on the back because as soon as Han pronounced sabaac a bit funny as I knew what they were going to say next.

I heard that on Rebel Force Radio. It has the bit in ESB where Leia says it like Lando says it despite saying it how Luke says it every other time right? But then she also randomly had an English accent for a scene in the first film and most people in England seem to agree with Lando on how to say Han.

• 2 weeks later...

After Solo lost money at the box office they've apparently shelved the standalone films idea. If this is true Lucasfilm dont seem to know what theyre doing. Yes Solo flopped but Rogue One did quite well. We can talk about the various theories as to why Solo flopped but if Kathleen Kennedy thinks she can't sell an Obiwan film to the public she's got to go.

Sith Happens
33 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

After Solo lost money at the box office they've apparently shelved the standalone films idea. If this is true Lucasfilm dont seem to know what theyre doing. Yes Solo flopped but Rogue One did quite well. We can talk about the various theories as to why Solo flopped but if Kathleen Kennedy thinks she can't sell an Obiwan film to the public she's got to go.

Just a few mistakes made.

1. Being so public about the sackings of the directors and the fact the lead needed acting lessons, their PR team didnt do a good job, already gave off vibes it was going to be rubbish

2. Releasing it so soon after The Last Jedi. Make it a christmas release like the rest to give everyone a bit of a break.

3. Choosing Han Solo as a spin off movie, no one really cares that much especially as it was a fake han solo anyway.

And yes you are right an obi wan story with Ewan Mcgregor in the role would be something people would like to see, set between ROTS and Star Wars.

Not bothered about the reported Boba Fett movie mind.

Would like to see (if they could persuade Mark Hamill and Adam Driver) a story telling what really happened with them...even get Harrison Ford in it...now that would sell

On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 18:42, Paul71 said:

2. Releasing it so soon after The Last Jedi. Make it a christmas release like the rest to give everyone a bit of a break.

Agree with that. I couldn't work out why they released it when they did, when all the others had been Christmas releases. Surely that works best because it's the time of year where people tend to have a bit of time off, and it's cold and dark so there is nothing better to do, the kids get all the buzz from the merch being available for Christmas presents etc

The critics deciding to give it a kicking didn't help with any of that. I really enjoyed it but was it really that much better/worse than the rest of the new trilogy/Rogue One?

Sith Happens
45 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Agree with that. I couldn't work out why they released it when they did, when all the others had been Christmas releases. Surely that works best because it's the time of year where people tend to have a bit of time off, and it's cold and dark so there is nothing better to do, the kids get all the buzz from the merch being available for Christmas presents etc

The critics deciding to give it a kicking didn't help with any of that. I really enjoyed it but was it really that much better/worse than the rest of the new trilogy/Rogue One?

I haven't seen it yet.

Apparently the news they aren't making them is not true anyway.

More excited though that the next gen might be coming back.

As seems to be the case in quite a few recent films, the film makers seem to have forgotten that you have to give the audience something/someone to care about (even if it's only that they get their comeuppance by the end of the story) - can't remember which of the recent episodes of the saga it was, but towards the end of one film, the only character I cared about was the robot - I was genuinely hoping the rest of the characters would be killed off - that's not the way to build loyalty or to encourage people to get off their backsides and go to the cinema - I've gone from going to watch the the original Star Wars in 1977 and eagerly awaiting the subsequent films to not even caring that there's yet another one coming along......

1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

I saw on Collider theyd heard Lucasfilm didn't want to but Disney insisted, putting it up against Infinity War which is also Disney owned. Crazy. Traditionally Star Wars is a summer film. It was a lovely evening when I came out if Revenge of the Sith.

Apparently memorial weekend is a really bad weekend for people going to the pictures too.

24 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I haven't seen it yet.

Apparently the news they aren't making them is not true anyway.

More excited though that the next gen might be coming back.

The running theory is Lucasfilm are leaking contradictory information to gauge fan reaction. If that's the case then I can see them doing Obiwan but not Boba Fett, as your views seem to be akin to most people's. I wouldn't mind a Boba Fett film if it was a bit like Dredd (underrated film). And if they made him not a Kiwi again. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/06/2018 at 11:54, StringerBell said:

It was a lovely evening when I came out if Revenge of the Sith.

Don't think you meant 'if' in the sentance. It's either 'of' or 'in'.

If it was the latter, what promoted it? I hope it wasn't when Anakin went crazy at the jedi training school.

Archived