Day

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
53 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

There’s a new trailer.

Actually looks fun.

Lets hope Ron Howard did enough to rescue it.

Having come out of the cinema with mixed feelings about The Last Jedi, I watched it again at the weekend - Mrs Wolfie's first viewing.

I somehow found the annoying bits from my first excursion (slow & defenceless bombers and scenarios/dialogue copied directly from previous films) less grating but the "Mary Poppins" bit was suddenly ridiculous to me. Mrs Wolfie laughed out loud at that bit.

On the whole, I certainly enjoyed it more on the second viewing and am glad I bought the blu-ray for repeat shows, rather than just streaming it.

Sith Happens
5 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Having come out of the cinema with mixed feelings about The Last Jedi, I watched it again at the weekend - Mrs Wolfie's first viewing.

I somehow found the annoying bits from my first excursion (slow & defenceless bombers and scenarios/dialogue copied directly from previous films) less grating but the "Mary Poppins" bit was suddenly ridiculous to me. Mrs Wolfie laughed out loud at that bit.

On the whole, I certainly enjoyed it more on the second viewing and am glad I bought the blu-ray for repeat shows, rather than just streaming it.

Yeah watched it a few times, the pacing of the film is really good, not many slow bits, the time goes quite quick.

It has issues, but its better than any of the prequels.

I don't like the Leia scene, I cant imagine why they even thought it was a good idea. The bombers were poor too, but its an entertaining opening.

I wish they had shown Luke reacting to Hans death, they could show Rose crying over her sister but not Luke?

Rey is just too good though, I mean from the start of the Force Awakens to the end of the Last Jedi its supposed to be like a week or something...

Its a big shame they killed off Luke, especially as Leia wont be in the next one. I am sure he will appear but after Carrie Fishers death surely a few re shoots could have left Luke alive, or none, they could have just left him looking at the suns and not included the bit where Rey talks to Leia about him dying.

59 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Yeah watched it a few times, the pacing of the film is really good, not many slow bits, the time goes quite quick.

It has issues, but its better than any of the prequels.

I don't like the Leia scene, I cant imagine why they even thought it was a good idea. The bombers were poor too, but its an entertaining opening.

I wish they had shown Luke reacting to Hans death, they could show Rose crying over her sister but not Luke?

Rey is just too good though, I mean from the start of the Force Awakens to the end of the Last Jedi its supposed to be like a week or something...

Its a big shame they killed off Luke, especially as Leia wont be in the next one. I am sure he will appear but after Carrie Fishers death surely a few re shoots could have left Luke alive, or none, they could have just left him looking at the suns and not included the bit where Rey talks to Leia about him dying.

There’s been some talk this week that now Carrie Fisher has died and his and Harrison Ford’s characters were killed he’s not that bothered about it as he was. But I’m pretty confident he’ll make an appearance as a force ghost. 

I’m wondering if there’s the possibility he might be there to offer more than just advice though.

If you think when Qui-Gonn got the ball rolling with becoming one with the force - his body didn’t disappear and then years and years later we hear him trying to communicate with Anakin as he kills the sand people. Finally he’s able to communicate with Yoda, the most powerful Jedi there was. 

Then when Ben became one with the force Luke could only hear his voice. 3 years later he saw a vision in the blizzard. Then after Jedi training he saw a much clearer vision. In ROTJ the vision was even stronger, and Ben started to interact with the world around him, sitting on a log.

Then in TLJ we get Yoda’s force ghost. It’s got a blue glow around the edge but he’s not transparent. He knocks Luke on the head with his cane and can bring lightning down from the sky. 

So who knows what role Luke could have even if he is dead.

Sith Happens
13 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

There’s been some talk this week that now Carrie Fisher has died and his and Harrison Ford’s characters were killed he’s not that bothered about it as he was. But I’m pretty confident he’ll make an appearance as a force ghost. 

I’m wondering if there’s the possibility he might be there to offer more than just advice though.

If you think when Qui-Gonn got the ball rolling with becoming one with the force - his body didn’t disappear and then years and years later we hear him trying to communicate with Anakin as he kills the sand people. Finally he’s able to communicate with Yoda, the most powerful Jedi there was. 

Then when Ben became one with the force Luke could only hear his voice. 3 years later he saw a vision in the blizzard. Then after Jedi training he saw a much clearer vision. In ROTJ the vision was even stronger, and Ben started to interact with the world around him, sitting on a log.

Then in TLJ we get Yoda’s force ghost. It’s got a blue glow around the edge but he’s not transparent. He knocks Luke on the head with his cane and can bring lightning down from the sky. 

So who knows what role Luke could have even if he is dead.

I do imagine mark hamill will know by now if he's in it. Might be just trying to keep it underwraps. 

He was contracted for 3 films so if they want him he probably won't have a choice. 

I hope he is in it, when they announced the new movies I never imagined the final film having none of the big 3 in it.

They have reported yoda will be in it. Jj Abrams did say at the start ep 9 would wrap all 3 trilogies up, so there has to be some involvement and also possibly hayden christiensen.

• 1 month later...
On 16/04/2018 at 18:38, Paul71 said:

They have reported yoda will be in it. Jj Abrams did say at the start ep 9 would wrap all 3 trilogies up, so there has to be some involvement and also possibly hayden christiensen.

If Jar Jar Binks doesn't get a cameo then I'm kicking off

Anyway - @MuespachRam tell us more about how bad Solo is!

24 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

If Jar Jar Binks doesn't get a cameo then I'm kicking off

Anyway - @MuespachRam tell us more about how bad Solo is!

Ha ha...OK I will.....but as a warning this will DEFINITELY have spoilers in it....so if you don't want to know then look away......now..

We went to see the opening night last night, it was 75% full I would say and no razamatazz of any of the other Star Wars opening nights we have been to.

Firstly, Han is played really well, he does a great job....but that is about it.

Things that jump out as being horrible are....

It just didn't feel like a Star Wars film at all, there was no traditional bad guy/good guy battle going on

The thing that really annoyed me was the constant need to explain everything to the audience.... "Whats your name?" "aghhnmnaghghga" " oh, Chewbacca, I will call you Chewwy".... and "this is my ship, its called the Millenium Falcon" that sort of thing...

The story regarding the Millenium Falcon being the only ship to do the Kessel run in 12 parsecs that is repeated throughout Star Wars....well it does it but it turns out that the reason they did it is not down to speed it is because they took a short cut.......what!?

The "twist" with Woody Harlessons character turning Han over was just about the most predictable thing ever and the one thing the saves the entire movie is the introduction of Darth Maul at the end.....and I honestly didn't see that coming at all

Saw it midnight opening night. Loved it. 

Some bits were a bit meh, like how Solo gets his name etc, but overall, nothing I couldn't live with. 

Ironically, the reveal at the end is the bit that seems to be sending many try-hards into meltdown! 

Anyway, I want to hear more from 'The Lando Chronicles'..... ?

1 hour ago, StaffsRam said:

Saw it midnight opening night. Loved it. 

Some bits were a bit meh, like how Solo gets his name etc, but overall, nothing I couldn't live with. 

Ironically, the reveal at the end is the bit that seems to be sending many try-hards into meltdown! 

Anyway, I want to hear more from 'The Lando Chronicles'..... ?

I liked the way he got his name..! 

The reveal just means we get to see much more of the best baddie..!

Yup, just got back from watching it myself and found it to be excellent ☺️

Without going into spoiler territory, we need an origin story for the 'guy' at the end now which could tie in with how the other person was so adept at teras kasi.

I really liked it. its the least consequential Star Wars film (alongside The Phantom Menace) but I didn't want a story where the fate of the galaxy was on the line. Maybe there could have been a better villain, but were used to having Vader or The Emperor there has to be a bit of a downgrade. Maybe the character of Solo could have been explored more I don't know.it was a good adventure film, decent set pieces, snappy dialogue, well acted.

It was good for references too, stuff like Beckett killing Aurra Sing. I like stuff like that, it's a nice reward for watching the cartoons etc. There were only a couple of moments I thought it was a bit too on the nose

It was funny to hear some of the muttering when the cameo at the end happened. Was that Sam Witwer voicing him or the bloke out of Shaun of the Dead. Not sure why he needed to be g his lightsaber out though.

I think I watched star wars when I was a kid, I've never seen any of the new ones. Without looking through 50 pages, am I to assume that some people don't think star wars is crap? I always thought it was crap?! Is it not crap?

Sith Happens
9 hours ago, Parsnip said:

I think I watched star wars when I was a kid, I've never seen any of the new ones. Without looking through 50 pages, am I to assume that some people don't think star wars is crap? I always thought it was crap?! Is it not crap?

Some of it is, some isnt.

10 hours ago, Parsnip said:

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Some of it is, some isnt.

What he said ?

If you want to ease yourself back into Star Wars I would recommend Solo and Rogue One as your starting points.  Its ironic how the 2 best films (imo at least) are the least star warsy - in that they could simply be sci-fi films, very little talk of 'the force' etc.

On 26 May 2018 at 22:39, Parsnip said:

Well it's a forty year, multi billion $$$ franchise, so it's probably safe to say that quite a few people like it....?

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it was great - not sure why it got such lukewarm reviews. It's essentially just expanded universe stuff brought to the cinema isn't it. Loads of scope now for a second Solo film (with the Jabba story) and also DM and Game Of Thrones woman - plus the freckle-faced Pirate and her gang. Oh and Donald Glover as Lando - he can do as many films as he likes for me

In some ways expanding the core trilogy looks to have been a bit counter-productive, The expectations were always going to be too high. If they'd done more expanded universe stuff with various crossovers then people might not be quite so precious about the main Skywalker story

I think its far easier to do a film with characters you don't have such of a predetermined opinion of (Rogue One introduced new characters for example). 

Alden Ehrenreich was never going to be Harrison Ford, so was on dodgy ground to begin with, but imo the best thing I could say about the film however was that I actually forgot that Harrison Ford is/was Han Solo and yeah I'd definitely like to get a sequel. 

Donald Glover was excellent too, a Lando backstory would be great.  Not so sure about Emilia Clarke, she had a nice twist at the end that needs exploring but don't rate her as an actress unfortunately.

Archived