Overrated and Underrated Rams

sage

Funny that many of the players people see as overrated are our flair players who we look to to make things happen, often these players are the most frustrating. The underrated players seem to be the defenders. The expectations on a more attacking player is greater than a defensive player. Only my opinion of course. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Funny that many of the players people see as overrated are our flair players who we look to to make things happen, often these players are the most frustrating. The underrated players seem to be the defenders. The expectations on a more attacking player is greater than a defensive player. Only my opinion of course. 

So true,people expect our flair players to perform at their peak every game, and even though when they have an average one, which is better than someone else's they fall into the not trying category / bad attitude / now have a perm contract etc

Good thread. Be much more interesting if it was overrated and underrated Rams players from when we started watching them. 

For now I'd go Overated - Bradley Johnson. Perhaps unfair as I think he is a decent player but the way we employ him in our 3 man midfield is not convincing me at all. 

Underated - Hendrick. 

6 hours ago, Alpha said:

Hendrick definitely fits in both. Some people think he's PL class. Some think he's a pointless waste of a shirt. 

Martin possibly? He probably wouldn't be as good for any other team as for us because here he fits perfectly. Couldn't walk into just any team.

Shackell possibly underrated? Butterfield too. 

The most overrated is Russell by miles. I like him but he gets away with some terrible stuff by being enthusiastic and energetic. 

Thing is Hendrick can play PL standard one week then a waste of shirt the next. Some people remember the good days some remember the bad.

Over: 

Martin- been fantastic for us but i think the step to the premier league will be too much for him

Bryson- one great season...now nothing.

Russell- fan favourite who doesn't do much tbh.

Under:

Warnock- starting to change that now.

Bent- most see him as a donkey...but he's ex England so there must be some serious quality...needs to be given a chance.

Dawkins- we saw what he can do against Fulham in cup...shame really.

Ince- atm at least...got some serious quality there...just needs to show it

Over;

Hendrick - The most average yet overrated  player I've seen in a Derby shirt, who continually gets plaudits(?). He reminds me of Paul Thirlwell, you have to wait an hour to know he's even playing.

Bent - massive wage, past it, continually offside...

Russell - goes on a run of form, was absolutely outstanding in pre season and earlier on in the league (that pass at Preston..). Fades away and once again is sat on the bench..."super Johnny Russell"

Ince - Every game lately I'm going away from a game thinking "4.5 million for this guy?!". He does sod all, he offers sod all, he can't dribble for sod all, he can't score of late, he also looks miserably as sin. I don't rate him.

Chrsitie - Johnny Russell mark II, goes on a run of form and then severely lacks confidence to take on a man, this continues for a dozen or so games. Even under Clements training he's not been that great bar the odd cameo, I do think there's better out there than Cyrus.

Roos - Scouted by all the top clubs supposedly, he always seems injured or at least be be third or fourth choice now having signed Mitchell.

under;

Grant - Bar Portsmouth, has barely put a foot wrong since resigning. Can't believe some fans wanted this guy hounded out the club, still a quality keeper.

Johnson - Check the win ratio since his arrival, it's no coincidence

Warnock - lacks pace but he's been just as good as anyone in that back four, solid as fook against Hull and forms a good partnership down the left with Weimann.

Shackell - Past it apparently...

Carson - Credit to Evans for this, yes Chris Evans pulled off a master stroke by signing a second choice keeper relegated last season with Wigan. He's been outstanding

Hughes - We aren't the same side with this guy in the eleven, I'm actually counting down the days till he's back. The side misses his intelligence on the ball.

57 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Would be funny if we had this thread from

maybe 4/5 years ago and 7/8 years ago...

Don't think any of the players from the PL season were overated or underated, we all thought they were crap and they were.

1 hour ago, bigbadbob said:

You're just being sixist

You'd still have us fans debating over it though... The "quality" back then to the players now... :blink: Meant to reply to paul71

47 minutes ago, sage said:

Over - Christie , Hendrick , Weimann

Under - Forsyth, Dawkins, Martin

I don't think I've seen an opposition fan even mention Christie unless they've seen him on TV (in which case its opinion on one game rather than an overall opinion).

I also don't think many will know Dawkins even plays for us any more. 

I think Hughes is underrated by many (but slightly overrated by many as well), Ince splits opinion also. Keogh is underrated by most.

I agree Weimann is overrated, but not because he's not very good (I'm not saying I think that's what your implying) but because many people seem to think he's good enough to play at a mid-table prem club, which he's not.

Archived