new striker

irobinson

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

If we go up I genuinely expect Ibrahimovic would come to us on a short-term (1 year with a 1 year option?) deal. He and Clement have a tremendous relationship and respect for each other. And Zlatan is disappointed he feels he's never had the chance to impress in the Prem, but the big clubs would not sign him now. Also, Clement sees him as a leader of men who would rally our boys to this new challenge. I think establishing us in the Prem and proving to the world that he can score in that league just as he has everywhere else, would be the kind of thing Zlatan would wan to do.

Wow...and I thought that I was deluded and embarrassing. 

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

If we go up I genuinely expect Ibrahimovic would come to us on a short-term (1 year with a 1 year option?) deal. He and Clement have a tremendous relationship and respect for each other. And Zlatan is disappointed he feels he's never had the chance to impress in the Prem, but the big clubs would not sign him now. Also, Clement sees him as a leader of men who would rally our boys to this new challenge. I think establishing us in the Prem and proving to the world that he can score in that league just as he has everywhere else, would be the kind of thing Zlatan would wan to do.

You'll get zlated for this Carl...

3 hours ago, Alpha said:

I understand the concerns surrounding our forwards but you don't go out and buy something new everytime something breaks.

Why is it broken? How can we fix it?

We have perfectly suitable forwards. They don't need replacing. They need putting back on track. Don't toss them in the bin

bob the builder?

The criticism of Martin is fairly nonsensical imo. Martin's contribution to the team depends on midfielders making intelligent runs to support him or feed off his flicks.

If all we do is get the ball forward quickly we tend to struggle to create. Yes we may score some good individual goals (Ince last season for example), but our strength seems to be in getting men forward, playing keep ball in the opposition's half rather than across the back four.

At home the midfield drive forward a tad more than away - its a fine balance and PC is not far off perfecting it.

Without injuries to Hughsey and latterly Fozzy we 'd be clear at the top now - and that's no criticism of other players - its just something slightly different that those two give us which complements Martin.

56 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

The criticism of Martin is fairly nonsensical imo. Martin's contribution to the team depends on midfielders making intelligent runs to support him or feed off his flicks.

If all we do is get the ball forward quickly we tend to struggle to create. Yes we may score some good individual goals (Ince last season for example), but our strength seems to be in getting men forward, playing keep ball in the opposition's half rather than across the back four.

At home the midfield drive forward a tad more than away - its a fine balance and PC is not far off perfecting it.

Without injuries to Hughsey and latterly Fozzy we 'd be clear at the top now - and that's no criticism of other players - its just something slightly different that those two give us which complements Martin.

That is spot on. Just need to get the balance right between defence and attack. Yesterday just a bit too defensive, full backs not supporting the wingers and the midfield not close enough to Martin. But on the other hand under Schteve we could have pushed on too much and lost the game. We will only know what is right at the end of the season.

Any criticism of the best hold up front man in this league is ridiculous. No chance of Zlatan coming to Derby, his ego is way too big to sit on the bench as Martin's understudy. 

On 6 December 2015 20:48:36, irobinson said:

Ok - may cause a complete avalanche - or not!!

I think we should should reinforce our squad in January - and if we want to push to the final two...i think we need a new front man.

I like Martin - but we have suffered from him either getting injured or sometimes in poor form. If we are really serious we should invest some big dosh on another front man - views. I thought Chris did ok today - but sometimes, not quite there

Our wingers this season - have recently been a bit off the game. Ince today was well - abject - Johnny  (like the guy) is a bit unpredictable....

Does anyone feel the same

New striker to get ready for the Prem...and winger on loan

(it won't be Antonio - as Hammers injury list is mounting - and he will be getting a regular game shortly

Well I agree we need to strengthen in January. What we need is going to depend on injuries but looks like we might need another left back as warnock keeps getting knocks and we don't have any cover there. Also midfield as well if Bryson is out again and hughes isn't fit. After that a new winger would be good. And a new striker too. But some of these could be loan signings, even Mel Morris might not fancy splashing out for four brand new players. I think martin wasn't given good enough service against the wendies. 

10 hours ago, Tombo said:

Actually, no. I can't just leave it there. Are you aware Zlatan has 12 goals from 11 games this season for PSG in Ligue 1? Why would he fight off relegation at Derby? Why exactly would none of the big teams take him?

I don't believe they would want to sign a 35 year old striker as the answer to any goal-sccoring deficiencies they may have.

It seems to me that Martin has been elevated to a status in some fans' minds that he doesn't really merit. I agree that on his day he is up with the best strikers in the division but but he's not above criticism. His lack of pace and mobility are two big drawbacks that force us to play a certain way and if he's marked out of a game as he often is we tend to become easier to deal with. I think we should use Bent for more than 10/15 minutes either alone or with Martin. If he doesn't deliver I think it's sensible to look for an out and out finisher to provide variety and attacking options not to play second fiddle to Chris Martin.

5 hours ago, Reithe glas said:

It seems to me that Martin has been elevated to a status in some fans' minds that he doesn't really merit. I agree that on his day he is up with the best strikers in the division but but he's not above criticism. His lack of pace and mobility are two big drawbacks that force us to play a certain way and if he's marked out of a game as he often is we tend to become easier to deal with. I think we should use Bent for more than 10/15 minutes either alone or with Martin. If he doesn't deliver I think it's sensible to look for an out and out finisher to provide variety and attacking options not to play second fiddle to Chris Martin.

Martin is only truly effective if we play that certain way. He's never going to be a Lukaku but get the right players running beyond him gives him the time and space to score and make goals like we know he can.

We used to say we needed a 20 goal a season striker, not only have we got that but also a superb link up man who can retain possession if we play to his strengths.

4 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Martin is only truly effective if we play that certain way. He's never going to be a Lukaku but get the right players running beyond him gives him the time and space to score and make goals like we know he can.

We used to say we needed a 20 goal a season striker, not only have we got that but also a super

I agree with a lot of what you say but it seems to me that Chris gets a free pass whenever he doesn't play well, which has been the case recently. It's never his fault and always the midfielders who must shoulder the responsibility and ,when things don't work out, the blame.

3 minutes ago, Reithe glas said:

I agree with a lot of what you say but it seems to me that Chris gets a free pass whenever he doesn't play well, which has been the case recently. It's never his fault and always the midfielders who must shoulder the responsibility and ,when things don't work out, the blame.

If the midfield isn't getting to Martin to support him, is that his fault?

There's only so much one man can do.

Has anyone really exempted him from blame?

Archived