new striker

irobinson

Ok - may cause a complete avalanche - or not!!

I think we should should reinforce our squad in January - and if we want to push to the final two...i think we need a new front man.

I like Martin - but we have suffered from him either getting injured or sometimes in poor form. If we are really serious we should invest some big dosh on another front man - views. I thought Chris did ok today - but sometimes, not quite there

Our wingers this season - have recently been a bit off the game. Ince today was well - abject - Johnny  (like the guy) is a bit unpredictable....

Does anyone feel the same

New striker to get ready for the Prem...and winger on loan

(it won't be Antonio - as Hammers injury list is mounting - and he will be getting a regular game shortly

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As central strikers we have Martin, Bent and Weimann, plus the likes of Thomas and Zanzala in the U21s. We almost always only play one central striker. If we get to the Prem I suspect we shall have to make room for a certain Swede. So, no we don't need a new striker.

We are missing the threat we've had on the wing in previous seasons, with 4 proper wingers (certainly wouldn't class Weimann in that mould) always rotating in every game keeping them at the top of their form. Ince did more last season; Ibe did more. Russell is also a bit off-form right now (I blame the ridiculous beard) and we gave Jamie Ward to the gumps. It's maybe disappointing we don't have Santos, Calero, Bennett, etc pushing to make a difference in that role. With a large squad and a good U21 setup, we have to be careful with loaning additional players in.

Weimann is our only first-team player with out and out pace, but I think he's more Jamie Vardy than Jordan Ibe. If there's a super speedy winger available on loan then maybe just maybe, But I don't see it happening and I think we should have enough.

Of course Nixon keeps saying we'll be in for Charlie Austin, but the ball is entirely in Austin's court and I don't believe he would come.

We need more attacking options on that bench, Bent is the only one on their capable of sticking the ball in the back of the net on a regular basis.

Shotton, Baird, Hanson, Pearce, Hendrick....

Hardly players who'll get the goals are they? They are all defensive minded.

Mel Morris said at the fans forum "How do you convince someone to play second fiddle to Martin?" -  Well you managed to convince Darren Bent to join the club knowing he'd be behind Chris Martin, so it's possible Mel is it not?

15 minutes ago, Papahet said:

We need more attacking options on that bench, Bent is the only one on their capable of sticking the ball in the back of the net on a regular basis.

Mel Morris said at the fans forum "How do you convince someone to play second fiddle to Martin?" -  Well you managed to convince Darren Bent to join the club knowing he'd be behind Chris Martin, so it's possible Mel is it not?

Why would Charlie Austin play second fiddle to martin?

Our defense is as tight as can be. Our attack is still one of the best, especially considering that as of right now (last 4 games or so) literally all of our forwards bar one are not performing. However it's clear to me that the club WILL get at least one more forward in Janruary. 

9 hours ago, Papahet said:

wouldnt agree that hendrick is defensive minded. Agree with the others though that was probably more down to bryson being injured who is another midfielder who is more attacking than defensive. To be honest a usualy bench with 2 attacking mdifielders and bent/russell is quite a good bench. Only think you want one of shotton/pearce on the bench usually.

10 hours ago, Papahet said:

Hendrick defensive minded? What? Have you ever seen him try and play defensive midfield?

And Mel Morris is right, you can convince has-beens like Darren Bent, you can't convince someone who is actually as good as Martin.

10 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Russell is also a bit off-form right now (I blame the ridiculous beard) and we gave Jamie Ward to the gumps. It's maybe disappointing we don't have Santos, Calero, Bennett, etc pushing to make a difference in that role. With a large squad and a good U21 setup, we have to be careful with loaning additional players in.

Weimann is our only first-team player with out and out pace, but I think he's more Jamie Vardy than Jordan Ibe. If there's a super speedy winger available on loan then maybe just maybe, But I don't see it happening and I think we should have enough.

Of course Nixon keeps saying we'll be in for Charlie Austin, but the ball is entirely in Austin's court and I don't believe he would come.

We have a bloated squad, its not necessarily up the the standards required. I doubt those youngsters are going to make it at this level. I highly doubt Santos, Calero and even Mason will be able to make it at the levels we are aspiring to.

49 minutes ago, Srg said:

Hendrick defensive minded? What? Have you ever seen him try and play defensive midfield?

And Mel Morris is right, you can convince has-beens like Darren Bent, you can't convince someone who is actually as good as Martin.

Is Hendrick going to get you a dozen goals a season from his position? 

Bent had offers in Turkey throughout the summer - he would likely have been given more game time, a bigger wage and yet he choose us funnily enough. Knowing he'd be behind Chris Martin in the pecking order.

How can Boro have Kike, Nugent, Stuani (the latter two were on the bench against us) for options, yet we have the reluctance to sign someone either to sit on the bench for the vast majority or push Martin for a starting place?

Burnley also have striker options in Vokes, Barnes, Hennings, Gray, Jutkiewicz...

2 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Is Hendrick going to get you a dozen goals a season from his position? 

Bent had offers in Turkey throughout the summer - he would likely have been given more game time, a bigger wage and yet he choose us funnily enough. Knowing he'd be behind Chris Martin in the pecking order.

How can Boro have Kike, Nugent, Stuani (the latter two were on the bench against us) for options, yet we have the reluctance to sign someone either to sit on the bench for the vast majority or push Martin for a starting place?

Burnley also have striker options in Vokes, Barnes, Hennings, Gray, Jutkiewicz...

Well I wouldn't move to Turkey either when you could live at home, earn about the same amount and not get racially abused every week.

And Burnley play with two strikers, with at least one of those players always out injured. And Boro play Stuani out wide a hell of a lot. So again, not quite the same.

And would you have ever thought Bryson was going to get the goals he got the other year? Hendrick got 7 goals and 9 assists last year, so it's not out the question he could hit double figures at all.

12 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

As central strikers we have Martin, Bent and Weimann, plus the likes of Thomas and Zanzala in the U21s. We almost always only play one central striker. If we get to the Prem I suspect we shall have to make room for a certain Swede. So, no we don't need a new striker.

We are missing the threat we've had on the wing in previous seasons, with 4 proper wingers (certainly wouldn't class Weimann in that mould) always rotating in every game keeping them at the top of their form. Ince did more last season; Ibe did more. Russell is also a bit off-form right now (I blame the ridiculous beard) and we gave Jamie Ward to the gumps. It's maybe disappointing we don't have Santos, Calero, Bennett, etc pushing to make a difference in that role. With a large squad and a good U21 setup, we have to be careful with loaning additional players in.

Have I missed something?

Oh Dear.. because our best striker at the club for a couple of decades is having a poor spell we need more strikers? if he scores next week he will be worth £££££££££ again.  Bent is a good striker and I am sure that weimann could do a job. 

Mind you his air shot yesterday might prove that point invalid.

2 hours ago, harryram said:

Have I missed something?

If we go up I genuinely expect Ibrahimovic would come to us on a short-term (1 year with a 1 year option?) deal. He and Clement have a tremendous relationship and respect for each other. And Zlatan is disappointed he feels he's never had the chance to impress in the Prem, but the big clubs would not sign him now. Also, Clement sees him as a leader of men who would rally our boys to this new challenge. I think establishing us in the Prem and proving to the world that he can score in that league just as he has everywhere else, would be the kind of thing Zlatan would wan to do.

Martin is key to the way we play and probably the best striker in the league along with Austin and Grey

Bent can come on and score (offside or not) like he's always done since signing on loan originally

I do agree a Martin injury would cause problems but i think thats the time to go and get a loan stand-in i think a permanent signing would A) upset Martin and especially Bent who doesn't seem to happy with current lack of minutes B) nobody good enough to sign who'd be happy to sit on the bench because as I say Martin is about as good as you can get right now (and I love the man) 

Also agree about the wingers when all three are in-form and performing well it's fine but when one isn't or picks up an injury then the problems accur - How about an ambitious loan of Andros Townsend? he knows where the goal is and always performed well, no stranger to a loan move either.

I understand the concerns surrounding our forwards but you don't go out and buy something new everytime something breaks.

Why is it broken? How can we fix it?

We have perfectly suitable forwards. They don't need replacing. They need putting back on track. Don't toss them in the bin

42 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

If we go up I genuinely expect Ibrahimovic would come to us on a short-term (1 year with a 1 year option?) deal. He and Clement have a tremendous relationship and respect for each other. And Zlatan is disappointed he feels he's never had the chance to impress in the Prem, but the big clubs would not sign him now. Also, Clement sees him as a leader of men who would rally our boys to this new challenge. I think establishing us in the Prem and proving to the world that he can score in that league just as he has everywhere else, would be the kind of thing Zlatan would wan to do.

So basically it comes from your fevered delusions. Should have said that at the start.

Archived