Drop Ince

Posh Ram

3 hours ago, Posh Ram said:

He's been rubbish. He's clearly got the technical ability and he works hard. He just doesn't look like he has a footballing brain.

3 hours ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

Johnny Russell has also been very poor lately. Awful when he came on today.

Perhaps it got to do with they way were now set up in an attacking force?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a very different game, starting with 90 minutes in front of you to settle in, to being brought on to impress enough to get back in the team again. There have been times, before his injury, when JR was our best player.  Ince has quality too, but its much harder for him being marked like he is. Its a compliment to him. As someone has already said, he has got to ship it early and get into space for the return.  He'll come good.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

although Ince was non existent today, i think we missed a link up player like Hendrick or Bryson, Butterfield and Johnson seem to play in the same places with Thorne sitting deep. The running isnt there with these too, we're all playing far too deep. Same against Forest and exactly the opposite of the Hull game. but I'd bring Dawkins in, he's got to be as good as what we have at the minute. Maybe one of the yoof team are knocking on the door before January

You do recall Hendrick played against Forest? Which negates your point. And against Hull the movement of Ince and AW made a big difference, today they weren't at the races. 

I was against Hendrick being dropped today though, not because he did much last week but because changing a winning side feels strange. 

But Thorne was poor today, Butterfield and Johnson combined were our only threats. Not sure Jeff would have been making a difference, but appreciate my opinion's only as good as the next persons.

He's an excellent player, but he perhaps needs showing that his place in the team isn't concrete. I thought his lack of energy today was disappointing. 

He is a lot better than both Weimann and Russell, technically, but he's struggling to show it at the minute.

If you drop him, you sacrifice his quality. If you don't, he may not perform once again and Clement misses a trick to give someone else a chance.

Tough call to drop him. 

Suspect he would get a lot more sympathy if he could demonstrate the basic ability to control a moving ball , pass to a teammate over five yards and then take up a forward position in space straight away. 

And it wouldn't go amiss to put in the odd challenge against the opposition.

Perhaps it might also be an idea for him to go on a bonding session with Christie who clearly doesn't rate his ability to attack and score any higher than his own

4 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

Ince has been poor for a while now

Russell has lost his good form from earlier in the season

Weimann has been brilliant defensively but quite wasteful going forward in recent games

Would it be greedy to ask for a 4th winger to be signed in January? (An actual winger, not a converted striker)

Antonio in bound?

17 minutes ago, ValeRam said:

Suspect he would get a lot more sympathy if he could demonstrate the basic ability to control a moving ball , pass to a teammate over five yards and then take up a forward position in space straight away. 

And it wouldn't go amiss to put in the odd challenge against the opposition.

Perhaps it might also be an idea for him to go on a bonding session with Christie who clearly doesn't rate his ability to attack and score any higher than his own

In particular, he might like to challenge for the odd aerial ball, you never know he might like it!

Ince is playing badly, but his only real replacement is Johnny Russell who is in worse form. 

Has anyone else noticed that the longer Johnny's beard gets, the worse he plays? At present he looks and plays like a homeless Captain Birdseye. Have a shave Johnny, for all our sakes!

2 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

Well I was the person suggesting we sign another winger so I'm assuming this was aimed towards my post. I'm not suggesting signing a winger to come straight in and replace Ince, I'm suggesting signing one so we have a 4th option. Near enough every position has numerous players to come in should our starter be in poor form, but with the wingers if 2 of them are in a poor run of form (as Ince and Russell are now) then we're forced to stick with them because we only have 1 as a backup. There's obviously the likes of Dawkins, Calero and Santos who could be that 4th winger but none of them have got close to the first team this season. So I'm hoping if there's any money to spend in January, another winger will be brought in.

No it wasn't aimed at your post, you are talking about adding strength to the team, which in fairness is different to what I was talking about. 

http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/958908/MatchReport/England-Championship-2015-2016-Sheffield-Wednesday-Derby

The Positional report->Player Positions on here tells you everything you need to know about why all of our forwards are struggling.  Just look at how isolated the front 3 are, and how deep the midfield are sitting.  Butterfield and Johnson spend more time in their own half than the opposition.  It's a stark contrast to Hendrick and Bryson in previous seasons, who've played more like strikers at times.

52 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

IYou do recall Hendrick played against Forest? Which negates your point. And against Hull the movement of Ince and AW made a big difference, today they weren't at the races. 

I was against Hendrick being dropped today though, not because he did much last week but because changing a winning side feels strange. 

But Thorne was poor today, Butterfield and Johnson combined were our only threats. Not sure Jeff would have been making a difference, but appreciate my opinion's only as good as the next persons.

I meant we played too deep today, like we did against Forest, which left a huge space between midfield and attack, but then, nobody was "at the races" that game. Similar distance away today for the first 75mins, and the CB's were knocking it around far too much again (not their fault), but the pace and the pressing weren't there, which should be coming from the wingers and the midfield especially given that its important for Martin and Thorne to keep their central roles. i'm not criticising Butterfield or Johnson, but I'm just not convinced those two and Thorne in the same midfield are all that complimentary. Hendrick and Bryson arnt that effective when they have too much defensive responsibility but they're bloody good driving into that space we we weren't exploiting today. Ideally for me, one of each of these lot would be the preference was all i was saying, and I think that would help the attackers out an awful lot. Although I'm not exactly sure what Ince needs, a cuddle or a kick up the arse but he needs to up his game because he's shown very little of what he's capable of under Clement

2 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

Unfortunately not. Someone on here reminded me the other day, players can only play for 2 teams in a season (unless it's an emergency loan)

Damn, well I think we need to find some cover because both have been poor not necessarily permanent but on loan will do too. Something for PC to think about in Jan if they continue!! 

12 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/958908/MatchReport/England-Championship-2015-2016-Sheffield-Wednesday-Derby

The Positional report->Player Positions on here tells you everything you need to know about why all of our forwards are struggling.  Just look at how isolated the front 3 are, and how deep the midfield are sitting.  Butterfield and Johnson spend more time in their own half than the opposition.  It's a stark contrast to Hendrick and Bryson in previous seasons, who've played more like strikers at times.

But we were away from home and didn't dominate the ball like usual. It's quite difficult to get midfielders up with Martin when you keep losing the ball.

I wouldn't drop Ince anyway, mainly because Russell isn't a better player. He looks busy, which is why fans seems to sit on his nads, but he loses the ball far too often, doesn't work as hard as everyone would have you to believe and can't cross to save his life.

46 minutes ago, curtains said:

Really. 

Drop Ince has the world gone mad  

Try passing to him occasionally 

No, it was in response to garbage about Martin you're spouting and suggesting putting a midfielder up front would be a suitable alternative.

Archived