Drop Ince

Posh Ram

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, curtains said:

The manager was unfair on Ince yesterday I'd rather have him up top tha Martin when Martin falls over all the time and can't score for toffee. 

1 hour ago, Srg said:

giphy.gif

48 minutes ago, curtains said:

Really. 

Drop Ince has the world gone mad  

Try passing to him occasionally 

42 minutes ago, Srg said:

No, you simpleton, it was in response to garbage about Martin you're spouting and suggesting putting a midfielder up front would be a suitable alternative.

37 minutes ago, curtains said:

Ince is not a midfielder 

Define a midfielder please  

27 minutes ago, Srg said:

Someone who plays in midfield.

giphy.gif

22 minutes ago, curtains said:

No trick question lol .

Scemantics .

Ince is no midfielder he's a striker. 

19 minutes ago, Srg said:

Apart from he isn't.

I'll get the popcorn, someone else bring drinks..  :D

From Steve Nicholson in DET:

SEEING Tom Ince's number flash up on the fourth official's board after 63 minutes of Derby County's goalless draw against Sheffield Wednesday was not a surprise.

Ince, head coach Paul Clement tells us, has been frustrated with his contribution this season and the player endured another frustrating afternoon on Sunday.

I have not spoken to the 23-year-old forward recently but I would imagine the past six weeks have been his most difficult in a Rams shirt.

He has made four starts in that time, has been subbed in three of them and he also missed two matches through injury.

His last goal was in the home victory over Brentford two months ago.

What we are seeing currently is a far cry from the days last season when he terrorised teams during a loan spell from Hull City, scoring 11 goals in 18 appearances.

He has three goals in 17 games this season, so far.

Opponents are paying Ince closer attention.

They are doubling up on him, wingers are dropping back to help their full-backs and his space is being squeezed.

We saw another example of this against Sheffield Wednesday, who must take credit for maintaining a disciplined shape and restricting Derby to only two efforts on target all game.

Ince has the ability to shine and score goals in the Championship. He has proved that at Derby and Blackpool.

He has, in the main, been used as a wide attacker in Derby's 4-3-3, both last season and this.

Creating and scoring goals remains the toughest part of football and such players as Ince can be vulnerable to peaks and troughs in form and confidence, probably.

He is not alone.

Andreas Weimann made a slow start following his move from Aston Villa in the summer before his recent surge of three goals in his last six matches, although he also found himself stifled on Sunday.

Johnny Russell has been consistent for much of the season but he lost his place following the defeat by Nottingham Forest and has yet to win it back.

There have been other examples in the past two seasons of wide attackers in Derby's system blowing hot and cold – Simon Dawkins, Jamie Ward, Patrick Bamford and Jesse Lingard among them.

Seeing this type of player in such a moment as Ince finds himself is not new.

So what next?

Does Ince stay in the team for Saturday's home game against leaders Brighton & Hove Albion?

There is competition within the squad and Russell will be itching for an opportunity but I would start Ince against the Seagulls.

He has to find solutions to combat the close attention, he has to cope with the situation and come through it. That is what good players do.

He has more chance of doing that on the pitch than he has sat on the bench.

Maybe he needs to be more cute in his positioning in order to receive the ball. Maybe team-mates should look to find him earlier before the opposition can crowd him out.

It is unfair to isolate Ince's form because Derby's attacking in general has been laboured in two and a half of the last four games.

They barely laid an attacking glove on Forest and Sheffield Wednesday, and could not break Cardiff City's resistance in the first half before second-half goals by George Thorne and Weimann sank the visitors.

Teams are, as you would expect, setting out to frustrate Derby and not just Ince. The Rams are having to grind out results as we saw against Blackburn Rovers, Huddersfield City, QPR, Cardiff City and Sheffield Wednesday in recent weeks.

Opponents know the threat Derby, and Ince, pose but you feel he is one goal or one special moment away from sparking again.

Generally, I agree with this. 

20 minutes ago, Srg said:

How strange, like a genuinely good think-piece.

Pretty impressed you managed to copy it over with all the ads.

It certainly took more than one copy/paste I'll tell you that much :p 

Imo I think ince has to start every game he is our most creative player and has that magic touch and skill which can win a game out of nothing yes he is off form at the moment but I think he is a confidence player we need to get behind him and cheer him on when he gets the ball 

With our 3 wingers so out of form and therefore the lack of service to C Martin do you all think it could be a possibility that we could see a formation change for Saturday me personally I dont but do think that if we perform like we did on sunday then we may see a change for Bristol City. I would like too see this formation if we did change shape.

Carson/Grant

Christie                          Keogh                                         Shackell                   Warnock

Thorne 

Butterfield                                                                                                       Johnson

Ince

Martin                                     Bent

Same players just a tweak on the system.

Dont think any of the players would find this too difficult to adapt too.

Ince for me is a good player who is not effective enough out wide.

2 minutes ago, gazram80 said:

With our 3 wingers so out of form and therefore the lack of service to C Martin do you all think it could be a possibility that we could see a formation change for Saturday me personally I dont but do think that if we perform like we did on sunday then we may see a change for Bristol City. I would like too see this formation if we did change shape.

Carson/Grant

Christie                          Keogh                                         Shackell                   Warnock

Thorne 

Butterfield                                                                                                       Johnson

Ince

Martin                                     Bent

Same players just a tweak on the system.

Dont think any of the players would find this too difficult to adapt too.

Ince for me is a good player who is not effective enough out wide.

I don't think there's a problem with Ince positionally. A confident Ince, in my opinion, is just as effective out wide as he is in the middle. The issue is that he has a low threshold in terms of confidence before he becomes very ineffective. A confident Ince is arguably our best player, whether he's wide or central. 

I don't think a change of formation is on the cards, we just need him to either find that spark himself to do something great and build up his confidence or we need to get lucky and have the ball drop to him in space (in a more easy-to-finish situation than at the end of the hull game).

If he scored that goal at the end of the Hull game, I don't think we draw against Wednesday. 

Archived