Next 10 games...

ck-

18 minutes ago, super rams said:

I think you'll find the question was put to Peter Beargie, with only 37% how have Derby won this?

PB - Derby took there chances and Hull didn't.

We cannot afford to teams 63% of the possession and let them create so many chances as Hull did and keep expecting to win games, that will not keep happening - the luck will run out very quickly.

We do have to perform better against Wednesday and Brighton or are we going to rely on them both to be wasteful in front of goal like Hull were?

We were playing against Hull away, not someone like Rotherham or Bristol City. They were unbeaten in 13 games in all competitions, had the best defence in the league, hadn't conceded more than 1 at home all season in all competitions, had knocked out 2 prem teams at home in the league cup, had just beat Boro 3-0 in their last home game and were sitting top of the league. Did you really expect us to have 60%+ possession against them and them to have no chances?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

We were playing against Hull away, not someone like Rotherham or Bristol City. They were unbeaten in 13 games in all competitions, had the best defence in the league, hadn't conceded more than 1 at home all season in all competitions, had knocked out 2 prem teams at home in the league cup, had just beat Boro 3-0 in their last home game and were sitting top of the league. Did you really expect us to have 60%+ possession against them and them to have no chances?

Although we did have 60% until we had something to defend. 

But it was a fluke. Steve Bruce said we deserved to win but he's been after the Derby job for a decade

So some people would rather we go 2-0 up and then keep pushing for that 3rd goal against a team at the top of the league who had only conceded 3 goals at home so far this season? Imagine the moaning and whining had we kept pushing forward and conceded a goal or 2 rather than close the game down and limit them to a couple of chances. 

2 hours ago, super rams said:

I think you'll find the question was put to Peter Beargie, with only 37% how have Derby won this?

PB - Derby took there chances and Hull didn't.

We cannot afford to teams 63% of the possession and let them create so many chances as Hull did and keep expecting to win games, that will not keep happening - the luck will run out very quickly.

We do have to perform better against Wednesday and Brighton or are we going to rely on them both to be wasteful in front of goal like Hull were?

This is laughable. I'll bite at your obvious trolling anyway...

Look at the possession stats. Being a half-fan I had the pleasure of Sky showing stats on the screen as the game played. I was at the pub so the commentary wasn't on, but I could read that when we were 1-0 up, we had something just over 60% possession. This didn't change until after we scored the second.

Ask yourself, if Hull were 2-0 up after 30 minutes, would they have ended the game with that possession? No. We'd have had more of the ball and looking at stats alone you'd think we were unlucky to have lost. We aren't Barcelona or Bayern Munich, no team in this league, nor the world are Barcelona. We're not going to trash teams and keep the ball for the entire game. If we'd have kept playing the same way at 2-0 up, and they scored to get a route back into the game Clement would be blamed.

How many clear-cut chances did they have? And by clear-cut I mean a clear sight on goal where there was reasonable danger and defenders either out of the game or rushing to get back? 3, maybe four? We had at least that too, and scored from a nice piece of technique from outside the box.

If you think we were lucky you're either a serial moaner or just winding us all up. Probably a bit of both to be honest.

So, we've got one side who think that we played the perfect game. We took control of the game, scored 2 goals during that period and then controlled the terrain  for the rest of the game, hitting them on the break when possible and very nearly scored a third.

Others think that we got lucky. We scored 2 goals and then sat back inviting Hull to come at us. Giving up 60 odd % of possession, allowing 20 odd chances for them to score. Stats state that they were the better team. Next week we won't be so lucky. Attack. Damn it. Attack. Throw everyone forwards for god's sake. We're only winning 0-2 in the leader's back garden. Score more! Why isn't Carson going up for our corners? He might get on the end of one of them. 3-0 is much better than 2-0! Then push for the fourth! In May we may miss out by one goal. Score it now! We might not get another chance! Come on get into them, f**k 'em up! Go Derby go! We need to score! Please score! I can't stand it anymore! Why aren't we champions yet?

Sorry. Don't know what happened there. Think I'll go and have a lie down in a dark room.

4 hours ago, super rams said:

We went 2 up and then sat too deep and went into negative mode - Hull then took control and dominated the game in terms of possession, chances created -  it was not by chance they didn't hit the target. Luck paid a massive part.

They missed some sitters  - on another day with the number of chances they created, Hull will hit 4 or 5,  - on another day if will let the opposition dominate us in possession and let them have 23 attempts, the opposition might not be so wasteful. 

Yes, we won -  but again we cannot play positive for 90 mins, 1st half we were good - but 2nd half we hung on again - Clement made the comment after the game that Hull had lots of chances to score but didn't.

To let your opposition have 63% possession of the game is not good -to let them have 23 attempts is not great defending either - great defending would limit the number of chances they had, they didn't score simply because they only hit the target 2 out of 23 attempts  - we had 4 on target out of 9 attempts.

Why cannot we ball the whole game like we did in the first 25 mins ?

I know that you are trolling as usual, because you are either a thick-as-pigshit Forest fan who doesn't know better or a bloody good comedian who keeps throwing these comical posts in every now and again for the lulz and the reaction you get, but it's getting predictable.

1 hour ago, eddie said:

I know that you are trolling as usual, because you are either a thick-as-pigshit Forest fan who doesn't know better or a bloody good comedian who keeps throwing these comical posts in every now and again for the lulz and the reaction you get, but it's getting predictable.

Amen. 

4 hours ago, eddie said:

I know you're trolling but I'm not sure if that's because you're thick or because you're a troll?

Eh?

21 hours ago, super rams said:

The luck I am referring to was the fact that we were lucky not to concede in the 2nd half, they had numerous opportunities to score.

And our defence or goalkeeper stopped them, that is what they are paid to do. Hate it when people call that luck. Weren't Hull lucky too then?

23 hours ago, super rams said:
21 hours ago, super rams said:

3Nobody has said we are in the top 3 because of luck, simply we were lucky against Hull.

They dominated for 75 minutes had 62% of the possession, 23 chances but importantly only 2 on target and Carson was there to make two fantastic saves.

We were lucky on Friday night, it was just Hull couldn't hit the target with any of the other 21 chances they had. At the end of the game even Clement mentioned how may chances they had to score. No luck played a massive part in that win, we had it & they didn't.

The stats I saw say nothing about 23 chances. Neither did they dominate for 75mins. As Eddie says Super Rams you are either a Forest fan having a right laugh or you just don't get what you are watching. I'm a bit bemused as to which and quite frankly as The Scarlet Pimpernel, the master of subterfuge, I really should know!.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/live/match-stats/339742/hull-city-v-derby-county

22 hours ago, Coconut said:

If your goalkeeper makes a save, it isn't luck, it's good goalkeeping.

If you give the opposition a chance to put the ball into an unguarded net from 5-10 yards and they miss the target, then yes, you can consider yourselves lucky. That wasn't the case against Hull - even if Maloney's shot had been on target, Carson had it covered, his dive took him beyond his post.

The expression "You make your own luck" is a sanctimonious load of nonsense. People confuse luck with chance. You can create your own opportunities, put yourself in the best position to get positive results etc, but you cannot create your own luck. Luck exists as a force outside of control. A lot of people do, however, automatically blame 'bad luck' for their own failings.

If you were to apply the "you create your own luck" principle to events outside of sport you'd have to be claiming that all the people killed in terrorists attacks weren't unlucky, they should just have created better luck for themselves(!) which would be both offensive and untrue.

Luck is when forward planning meets an opportunity , you are right the rest is chance .

16 hours ago, ossieram said:

So some people would rather we go 2-0 up and then keep pushing for that 3rd goal against a team at the top of the league who had only conceded 3 goals at home so far this season? Imagine the moaning and whining had we kept pushing forward and conceded a goal or 2 rather than close the game down and limit them to a couple of chances. 

Absolutely agree with this.

Against Birmingham in 2014 we were 3-1 up with 17 mins to play. Not content to sit on that lead we threw on Hendrick for Hughes, and then conceded a few minutes later. Still not happy with a 3-2 victory, we put Johnny Russell on and went on to draw 3-3.

23 hours ago, super rams said:

3Nobody has said we are in the top 3 because of luck, simply we were lucky against Hull.

They dominated for 75 minutes had 62% of the possession, 23 chances but importantly only 2 on target and Carson was there to make two fantastic saves.

We were lucky on Friday night, it was just Hull couldn't hit the target with any of the other 21 chances they had. At the end of the game even Clement mentioned how may chances they had to score. No luck played a massive part in that win, we had it & they didn't.

Disagree.

23 chances and only 2 on target points to good defending and sh1te finishing.  You can have 100% possession but unless you finish off the chances you'd create it doesn't mean a thing.  As @Coconut said, having your goalkeeper stop shots isn't lucky, it's good goalkeeping.  That's what he's there to do...  The only time I would consider us lucky was the first minutes of the second half when their right back blasted it across the box and it span of Keogh's boot and out for a throwing, when it could've quite easily gone in our own net.  Other than that I thought our game management was superb.  Had the final ball been slightly better on some of our counters we could've scored more.

58 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Disagree.

23 chances and only 2 on target points to good defending and sh1te finishing.  You can have 100% possession but unless you finish off the chances you'd create it doesn't mean a thing.  As @Coconut said, having your goalkeeper stop shots isn't lucky, it's good goalkeeping.  That's what he's there to do...  The only time I would consider us lucky was the first minutes of the second half when their right back blasted it across the box and it span of Keogh's boot and out for a throwing, when it could've quite easily gone in our own net.  Other than that I thought our game management was superb.  Had the final ball been slightly better on some of our counters we could've scored more.

Yes but if it had gone in we would consider it to be another unlucky deflection. God knows what all the moaning is about we did what we needed to do. And while the game was level we were easily the better  team. Obviously 2 up your going to sit back a bit and 2 down your going to be pressing. Like someone said the only stat that matters is the result. 

4 minutes ago, harryram said:

Yes but if it had gone in we would consider it to be another unlucky deflection. God knows what all the moaning is about we did what we needed to do. And while the game was level we were easily the better  team. Obviously 2 up your going to sit back a bit and 2 down your going to be pressing. Like someone said the only stat that matters is the result. 

Once slashed, wrists take a long time to heal.

26 minutes ago, harryram said:

It's amazing the number of people who're moaning after such a great performance.  We're not Barcelona, we're Derby County, we're not perfect.  In fact we're starting to sound more & more like those delusional f**kwits up the road...

Because I'm a complete old saddo I actually watched the game again and logged chances for both teams:

CHANCE                                        HULL          DERBY

Wild (top of the stand stuff)               6                   0

Off Target                                          4                   1

On Target                                          4                   4

Goals                                                 0                   2

Total Shots                                       14                  7

I ignored the blocked shots as they obviously weren't shots that threatened the goalkeeper. Seeing it again reinforced my view that we managed the game exceptionally well. Their best efforts were the two saves Carson made plus two scary moments. One where that dangerous low cross scuffed off Keoghs shin and the other when Hendrick lost Maloney in the box but just managed to usher him out. We gave them several scary moments also.

Overall quite an even game. They had more possession we had more quality. I really hope fans can relax with this team and enjoy the ride because I think this side is going up. We may have one or two hiccups, almost bound to, but we have quality in abundance for this division. 

3 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Because I'm a complete old saddo I actually watched the game again and logged chances for both teams:

CHANCE                                        HULL          DERBY

Wild (top of the stand stuff)               6                   0

Off Target                                          4                   1

On Target                                          4                   4

Goals                                                 0                   2

Total Shots                                       14                  7

I ignored the blocked shots as they obviously weren't shots that threatened the goalkeeper. Seeing it again reinforced my view that we managed the game exceptionally well. Their best efforts were the two saves Carson made plus two scary moments. One where that dangerous low cross scuffed off Keoghs shin and the other when Hendrick lost Maloney in the box but just managed to usher him out. We gave them several scary moments also.

Overall quite an even game. They had more possession we had more quality. I really hope fans can relax with this team and enjoy the ride because I think this side is going up. We may have one or two hiccups, almost bound to, but we have quality in abundance for this division. 

Thanks for taking the time to point this out. In terms of the bit highlighted in bold, again that is of course largely due to how the game went. Had Hull been 2-0 up after 30 minutes there's next to no chance they'd have had the majority of the ball. We played the game well.

People like Steve Bruce complimented how we played and said we were the better side. Curtis Davies on Football League Tonight noted how most sides that come to Hull play for the point, and try more to disrupt their game than to play their own. We came to play our own, and fortunately got what we needed in just 1/3 of the game. The fact that those associated directly to Hull (not the fans) could recognise this tells you all you need to know. Not the % of possession they had.

Archived