Lord's Prayer cinema ad ban 'bewilders' Church of England

Day

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ketteringram said:

You'd have thought they might have checked first, whether cinemas would screen it, before going through the expense and hassle of making it. I Have no issue with it being shown. 

Listening to five live debate he was okayed by one regulator... But not by another...

1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

For pointing out that the doctrine of original sin damns everyone to hell unless they embrace the Catholic church and confess what that organisation considers sinful?

But then Catholics are contractually obliged to forgive me. That is, of course, if they actually do follow the teachings of Christ.

It's okay, I forgive you. 

So an advert that has a religous context is banned from being seen before a film that had 176,000 claim themselves as Jedi's in the UK 2011 census. 

By that reckoning the cinema should also ban the film.  After all it centers around an unexplainable force that you have to believe and embrace to weild the power it stows for good or evil...hypocrites

3 hours ago, Shuff264 said:

The DCM has a clear policy, thats been in place for a while, of no religous adverts, so I dont know why this has caused a news story.

Never realised this. Why didn't the cinema just tell them this, not sorry but it may offend.

26 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

So an advert that has a religous context is banned from being seen before a film that had 176,000 claim themselves as Jedi's in the UK 2011 census. 

By that reckoning the cinema should also ban the film.  After all it centers around an unexplainable force that you have to believe and embrace to weild the power it stows for good or evil...hypocrites

Wouldn't that be like a prayer from another religion being played before a film on Christianity? Not hypocrisy at all.

Why are the church spending tens if not hundreds of thousands of pounds on cinema adverts?

Would Jesus have done this? Would he feck

He'd have been using the money to feed the hungry or shelter the homeless.

Well he would if he existed.

1 hour ago, McRamFan said:

No, I'm Brian - and so is my wife.

2 hours ago, sage said:

Why are the church spending tens if not hundreds of thousands of pounds on cinema adverts?

Reminds me of a quote from a South American priest some years ago, can't remember his name but it went summat like......

"when I feed the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why they are hungry they call me a communist"

11 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Think that is still banned by some councils, I know roman catholics that love that film.

I think the only council that still had it on the 'banned' list this year was Bournemouth - and even there, there was a private showng last month.

2 hours ago, eddie said:

I think the only council that still had it on the 'banned' list this year was Bournemouth - and even there, there was a private showng last month.

Were the Jedi council ok with it?

8 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

For pointing out that the doctrine of original sin damns everyone to hell unless they embrace the Catholic church and confess what that organisation considers sinful?

But then Catholics are contractually obliged to forgive me. That is, of course, if they actually do follow the teachings of Christ.

Sin leads to guilt

Guilt leads to repentance 

Repentance leads to salvation

2a9eel5.jpg

The Church of England has finally lost the plot (or lost it even more) if it thinks it's something to be marketed before a film. Like a telecoms company or M&Ms.

Before the CofE gets too upset, they should remember that it still has ncredible privileges when it comes to terrestrial television.  

9 hours ago, sage said:

It's worth pointing out that the person we now call Jesus probably existed, and at the heart of his story lays pretty much nothing remarkable beyond someone who was kind to others and believed in treating others with respect and wanted to spread that message. Their name wasn't Jesus, that's just us using mangled translation on translation for a couple thousands years, but there's not a lot of reason to think they outright didn't exist. 

Whether or not they actually came back from the dead or not (or any other miracle) is something else all together, and considering that there are denominations of Christianity that don't even believe that, I think we can give them a pass. 

Archived