Jamie Vardy

loughboroughRAM

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CornwallRam said:

We're spending about £3m a year on our academy. Sometimes I wonder whether it would be better to scrap that and just buy the five most promising Conference players every year.

Think you need to try a combination of both. To a degree in the past Derby have taken a gamble on non-league or lower league players, last season was a few from overseas. The success has varied - but certainly nothing comparable for Vardy. 

Vardy is probably the exception, usually players are at that level for a reason, but i a gree a policy of exploring lower leagues/non league should be maintained but as a supplment to the academy, not in its place.

2 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Think you need to try a combination of both. To a degree in the past Derby have taken a gamble on non-league or lower league players, last season was a few from overseas. The success has varied - but certainly nothing comparable for Vardy. 

Vardy is probably the exception, usually players are at that level for a reason, but i a gree a policy of exploring lower leagues/non league should be maintained but as a supplment to the academy, not in its place.

Roger Davies

22 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Released by Sheffield Wednesday when he was 16. I don't do cliches, but I bet they're as sick as parrots.

Made his senior debut for Stocksbridge Steels against Buxton I believe.

Yeah, if they'd just had the patience to wait 12 years, they'd have had a decent player on their hands!

20 hours ago, eddie said:

Some hilarity in that thread.

Huge credit has to go for Leicester for being willing to pay that amount for a conference player. Clearly to them he was not a hidden gem, he was a very obvious gem.

You hear a few stories of non-league players getting trials at bigger clubs and then coming good but shelling £1m+ on one is incredibly rare (unless of course it isn't, I've done no research but it sounds like it should be rare :lol:).

I bet there are more hilarious comments from the Leicester forum at the time of the deal, if anyone fancies looking for them.

It's Jimmy Dunne's record of scoring in 12 consecutive games, in the top tier of English football, for Sheffield Utd that Vardy should be focusing on.  Football didn't begin when the old first division was rebranded the Premier League or the Premiership or whatever it changed it's name to.  Forget  Van Nistelrooy. 

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

Huge credit has to go for Leicester for being willing to pay that amount for a conference player. Clearly to them he was not a hidden gem, he was a very obvious gem.

But I doubt a single Leicester fan would have predicted this! He was okay last season, nothing brilliant, so at the moment still remains a one season wonder unless he can carry on next season too.

Doesn't mean his meteoric rise is any less incredible though!

4 hours ago, SaintRam said:

You hear a few stories of non-league players getting trials at bigger clubs and then coming good but shelling £1m+ on one is incredibly rare (unless of course it isn't, I've done no research but it sounds like it should be rare :lol:).

I bet there are more hilarious comments from the Leicester forum at the time of the deal, if anyone fancies looking for them.

Most were very supportive.....

<Daggers> "Whoopee! He'll make a great back-up to Owen and Heskey."

<RumbleFox> "I'm really excited about this. This is exactly the sort of transfer I love. Welcome aboard Jamie and good luck. X"

<SpazticChicken> "I don't think its a big of a gamble we've taken in the past two years, and I'm fairly confident this will pay off"

<purpleronnie> "A million quid? Jeeez."

<Mark_My_Words> " I'm convinced that this guy will be the goalscoring sensation of the Champ next season. I've seen him a few times and he looks a natural goalscorer - reminds me a lot of our old boy Lineker. Yes - it's a step-up, but anyone who knows football will know that a goal is a goal, and if a guy knows instinctively where to put the ball then it matters not."

<Foxes2011> "id rather have the money back for this guy and put it towards a bid for a chamionship quality player, just not sure a player can jump 3 divisions and still score goals but i could be rong. "

49 minutes ago, eddie said:

Most were very supportive.....

<Daggers> "Whoopee! He'll make a great back-up to Owen and Heskey."

<RumbleFox> "I'm really excited about this. This is exactly the sort of transfer I love. Welcome aboard Jamie and good luck. X"

<SpazticChicken> "I don't think its a big of a gamble we've taken in the past two years, and I'm fairly confident this will pay off"

<purpleronnie> "A million quid? Jeeez."

<Mark_My_Words> " I'm convinced that this guy will be the goalscoring sensation of the Champ next season. I've seen him a few times and he looks a natural goalscorer - reminds me a lot of our old boy Lineker. Yes - it's a step-up, but anyone who knows football will know that a goal is a goal, and if a guy knows instinctively where to put the ball then it matters not."

<Foxes2011> "id rather have the money back for this guy and put it towards a bid for a chamionship quality player, just not sure a player can jump 3 divisions and still score goals but i could be rong. "

Weak. The funniest thing there is an innocent typo. Why don't they have complete lunatics like we do?

56 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Weak. The funniest thing there is an innocent typo. Why don't they have complete lunatics like we do?

I think it's one of those 'really want a rival' things. Not having one has robbed Leicester fans of any banter practice, therefore they struggle for puns, funnies and completely insane remarks.

13 hours ago, eddie said:

I think it's one of those 'really want a rival' things. Not having one has robbed Leicester fans of any banter practice, therefore they struggle for puns, funnies and completely insane remarks.

What ever do you mean? The famous M69 derby is world renowned for it's ferocity.

22 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Wasn't Charlie Austin non league too? 

Wonder if Che Adams will reach such giddy heights in the future or fall away and end up being a painter and decorator like a certain Mr Gee.

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

What ever do you mean? The famous M69 derby is world renowned for it's ferocity.

With Hinckley Town? I forgot about that.

Archived