Sportscene tonight on Radio Derby with Mel

Day

1 minute ago, ossieram said:

Mel said a lot of things, did you agree with any and why are you singling out this one?

He was great tonight on RD but he's misguided if he thinks that if we go up anytime soon players like Max Lowe who he named will keep us in the Premier League. 

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, curtains said:

He was great tonight on RD but he's misguided if he thinks that if we go up anytime soon players like Max Lowe who he named will keep us in the Premier League. 

Its quite possible that he means the academy in general and Max Lowe was used is a possible future player, an example if you like.

Enjoy the journey curtains me ode,

3 minutes ago, curtains said:

I will listen again but i'm 100% certain that he didn't say that Max Lowe will keep us up. But who am I to get in the way of your nit picking?

9 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

2 things

Mel is not B4, I saw him Saturday and he has hair. Mel does not  

where is Mel towers? Not that I want to stalk him you understand 

I think he still lodges upstairs in the Half Moon. He occasionally has to let the delivery man in on Wednesdays, and makes sandwiches for the darts team, but it's reasonable and cosy.

Just now, uttoxram75 said:

Its quite possible that he means the academy in general and Max Lowe was used is a possible future player, an example if you like.

Enjoy the journey curtains me ode,

I'm serious about this UTCH and I've watched the likes of Bennett ,Lowe, Rawson , etc etc and they wouldn't be the answer to keep us in the Premier League .

I have much more faith in our first team squad now which hasn't largely come from the academy. 

Mel is misguided on this IMO. 

1 minute ago, Boycie said:

Now who's trying to be funny?

philmycock doesn't have to try! I only have to look at him and i burst out laughing.

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

I'm serious about this UTCH and I've watched the likes of Bennett ,Lowe, Rawson , etc etc and they wouldn't be the answer to keep us in the Premier League .

I have much more faith in our first team squad now which hasn't largely come from the academy. 

These are players that were coming through before Mel got involved and expanded the academy, the number of coaches and the whole set up. Don't you think all the improvements will help or would you have preferred him not to invest in the academy?

3 minutes ago, ossieram said:

I will listen again but i'm 100% certain that he didn't say that Max Lowe will keep us up. But who am I to get in the way of your nit picking?

Your 100 percent right but he did infer the likes of Max Lowe  who is a good prospect IMO bye the way  would be the type of players to come from the academy to keep us up in the Premier League. 

I just don't agree with that assumption and I would suggest we would need to have more ideas than that. 

Just now, curtains said:

Your 100 percent right but he did infer the likes of Max Lowe  who is a good prospect IMO bye the way  would be the type of players to come from the academy to keep us up in the Premier League. 

I just don't agree with that assumption and I would suggest we would need to have more ideas than that. 

You don't seriously believe that he is going to solely rely on the academy!

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

Look at Southampton, look at the players they have brought through. It's saved them millions having quality players come through, it's also made them millions when sold on.

I'm sure he will be aware money will need to be spent to stay up, but if we can also bring through another Hughes it will save us a few quid. You would have also heard Mel say that he would like a return on his money, it can be embarrassing on here at times thinking Mel's got a money tree at the bottom of his garden, £9m Andre Grey? no problems, he's minted, let's see your ambition Mel!

Why not try and bring through a Andre Grey rather than spending £9m?

Don't read too much into the players in the U21's right now, pretty sure it's a long term goal and not that Max Lowe is our saviour.

7 minutes ago, ossieram said:

philmycock doesn't have to try! I only have to look at him and i burst out laughing.

These are players that were coming through before Mel got involved and expanded the academy, the number of coaches and the whole set up. Don't you think all the improvements will help or would you have preferred him not to invest in the academy?

I'm glad he's investing in the academy of course I am but promotion to the Premier League is about the likes of Butterfield and Johnson which I credit Mel Morris with and the likes of Shackell and Carson and Wiemann which is also credit to Mel .

The academy is important but we can't just rely on players coming through that when we get in the Premier League we need better players for that and the likes of Martin and Shackell etc will have  their work  cut out as will Keogh etc etc for us to stay up  IMO. 

6 minutes ago, Daveo said:

Look at Southampton, look at the players they have brought through. It's saved them millions having quality players come through, it's also made them millions when sold on.

I'm sure he will be aware money will need to be spent to stay up, but if we can also bring through another Hughes it will save us a few quid. You would have also heard Mel say that he would like a return on his money, it can be embarrassing on here at times thinking Mel's got a money tree at the bottom of his garden, £9m Andre Grey? no problems, he's minted, let's see your ambition Mel!

Why not try and bring through a Andre Grey rather than spending £9m?

Don't read too much into the players in the U21's right now, pretty sure it's a long term goal and not that Max Lowe is our saviour.

But the point is the quality of the academy players in my eyes are not of the Will Hughes standards. 

Its just my opinion but Mel needs to keep his eyes open  

How many Gareth Bales or Harry Kane's are in Derbys academy I mean Calero couldn't hack it at Burton could he. 

6 minutes ago, curtains said:

What you've got to take into consideration is that no one will want to stay in the prem more than Mel. He's investing big in the academy for the future, he believes the way forward is to keep unearthing a Hendrick or Hughes, leaving a pathway from the academy to the first team to attract the best young talent out there.

Like I said, lets enjoy the journey for now and worry about world domination in a year or two.

Archived