Lee Camp

Anon

Before anybody gets all precious I'll add a disclaimer. I don't mind anyone booing Camp or giving him stick.

Having said that I do think it's bizarre that the guy is so reviled. It was very foolish and unnecessary for his dad to go on radio Derby, but can anyone here honestly say that they agree with Phil Brown's decision to play the 42 year old goalkeeping coach Kevin Poole over Camp and Grant? As for his other crimes, well you tell me. What makes you so incensed with Lee Camp? Is it the fact that he signed for Forest at all? Is it having the temerity to save "that penalty" in front of the North Stand? Was it the celebrations after that game?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His dad's still a season ticket holder at Derby, in fact he sits next to me!

It wasn't until he started booing and singing 'Daddy's Boy' that I felt comfortable enough to join in.

*Disclaimer - 

One or both of the above facts may be untrue.

24 minutes ago, WorksopRam said:

Can someone explain a bit more about the radio Derby incident?

I'm none the wiser. 

I can't remember exactly, but I'll have a go. Camp had been in awful form for months. Everyone was wondering why Phil Brown didn't give Grant a run in the team, but he persisted with Camp, who's performances got worse and worse. Eventually Brown did make the change, but he started the 42 year old goalkeeping coach, Kevin Poole. After the game Camp's dad rang radio Derby to complain about Brown, claiming the decision to play Poole was an insult.

I personally thought that it was the only negative thing about the whole day. No need to train young Rams to do the same. Part of that singing coincided with substitutes coming on, which made it disrespectful to our own players, if I remember rightly. We could have done without it. Rising above it and putting three past him was good enough for me

8 minutes ago, Anon said:

I can't remember exactly, but I'll have a go. Camp had been in awful form for months. Everyone was wondering why Phil Brown didn't give Grant a run in the team, but he persisted with Camp, who's performances got worse and worse. Eventually Brown did make the change, but he started the 42 year old goalkeeping coach, Kevin Poole. After the game Camp's dad rang radio Derby to complain about Brown, claiming the decision to play Poole was an insult.

Ahhhh! I knew if was something with his dad but didn't know what. Cheers. 

I think Grant's dad would've had more grounds to complain!

I never joined in the abuse at Campy yesterday. It just felt wrong to me  Some old fashioned abuse with a bit of humour would have been great, followed maybe by a chant of "Lee Camp is a ram, he hates forest", would have bought a smile to his face and maybe a little wave and acknowledgement.from him.

It all seemed a tad unnecessary and small time somehow.

He's a Derby lad and we should show a bit more class in future.

Just now, WorksopRam said:

Ahhhh! I knew if was something with his dad but didn't know what. Cheers. 

I think Grant's dad would've had more grounds to complain!

To be fair, I vaguely recall Grant having injuries around that period. I am certain though that he wasn't injured for the entire duration of Camp's terrible run of form. Maybe Coconut is right that Poole did do better than Camp, but you're right in that it was poor management by Brown to fail to rotate 2 'keepers who were both England U21s in favour of playing Kevin Poole.

It's amazing not many can remember what happened and yet most still abuse him. His dad rang up Radio Derby to defend his son. It caused a bit of grief at the time, his move to Forest didn't help the cause, and his arrogance when he played for the red dogs at the iPro didn't do him any favours either.

As far as I can remember he was a Derby fan in his early days. He may well still be for all we know. Maybe it's time to cut him some slack. If Phil Brown had rotated Camp and Grant at the time he may not get the abuse he gets now.

Rememeber the gane with Bywater. I was on the M1 driving home from a holiday, just got in range of Radio Derby when they started saying Bywater has stopped playing, whats going on. Then young James Severn came on and got thrown to the lions. A very strange situation

3 hours ago, Anon said:

Before anybody gets all precious I'll add a disclaimer. I don't mind anyone booing Camp or giving him stick.

Having said that I do think it's bizarre that the guy is so reviled. It was very foolish and unnecessary for his dad to go on radio Derby, but can anyone here honestly say that they agree with Phil Brown's decision to play the 42 year old goalkeeping coach Kevin Poole over Camp and Grant? As for his other crimes, well you tell me. What makes you so incensed with Lee Camp? Is it the fact that he signed for Forest at all? Is it having the temerity to save "that penalty" in front of the North Stand? Was it the celebrations after that game?

I still don't understand what you mean, aren't they both the same?

Or have you confused revered with reviled? 

29 minutes ago, rsmini said:

As far as I can remember he was a Derby fan in his early days. He may well still be for all we know. Maybe it's time to cut him some slack. If Phil Brown had rotated Camp and Grant at the time he may not get the abuse he gets now.

Joined Forest and said he never was a Derby fan, his dad just dragged him to the games and that he was always a United fan at heart.

3 hours ago, Anon said:

I didn't boo him (mind as an East stander none of us say very much about anything, though we do boo quite well) but I do understand those that do.

There are some who leave us well and go on to other things and teams - Jamie Ward (at the moment) is one; Paul Green another - and others who don't - Paul Williams or Tyrone Mears for example.  I think fans generally always remember that.  If Jamie Ward returns goodwill coming his way I think he will generally be welcomed back, even in a red shirt.  If he doesn't then views will change.

Camp's Dad was ill advised to go on to Radio Derby however strongly he felt that his lad was being poorly treated.  The only loser was going to be the son he was trying to protect.  But Camp himself exacerbated the situation, not only by playing for the red dogs and (being reported as) saying he never was a Rams fan but also by over celebrating the penalty save, by his reactions to the crowd singing at him (as ill advised as his Dad going onto Radio Derby if he wanted it to stop) and by his celebrations at the end of that match.  I remember that game.  He was strutting around his penalty area deliberately winding up the crowd.  I think he rather liked the attention. 

I hesitate to use the word respect because footballers and fans generally aren't always very good at mutual respect, but do your best for us and leave well and generally you get welcomed back, whoever you have gone on to play for.  I wish sometimes we made more of ex-players coming back when opposition teams are announced

2 hours ago, Gypsy Ram said:

I still don't understand what you mean, aren't they both the same?

Or have you confused revered with reviled? 

Just making sure that everyone knows this isn't a witch hunt and there's no implied criticism of anyone who boos Camp. Footballers get stick from the terraces, it's just part of the game. I just wanted to know people's reasons or what the tipping point for the hatred was.

He's a knob head off the pitch. Well, he was at least up until leaving Forest

Glad to give him stick. Proper cock. 

Anybody who ever says "Don't you know who I am" should be mocked and abused forever.  

My brother was good mates with his missus (ex now I think), one of my mates used to hang around with him and think all his ego was rather funny. 

Camp and Tudgay have always been in and around the city. One is completely sound. One is an arrogant block head who looked brilliant picking the ball out of his net yesterday.

Wouldn't wish any harm on the bloke. Someone told me his Dad had died so I don't sing the Daddy's boy song. Is that true??

Phil brown didn't know his @rse from his elbow.

only an idiot would pick the goalkeeping coach over his own keepers.

the problem with LC for me came about when Forest under Billy Davies won at derby and he went over to the SE corner loving up to the forest fans, punching the air etc.

after that he deserves whatever stick he gets.

same goes for BD.

Archived