Back Four debate now settled?

robglosta

8 hours ago, AnimalisaRam said:

A much maligned stat, but I believe Russell is the leading assists player in the squad?

Spose you've got to scapegoat someone - it's the Derby Way - even when we are doing this well..

How can anyone have a bad word to say about JR! Absolutely gives everything. Always lively it's going to be a good battle for Ince, Weimann and Russell all bring something to the table. Poss need 1 more in case one gets injured.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the only thing you could argue the defence needs to do more this season, is score a few more goals..

.. but then I think that comes as a result of how ineffective we are from corners. And that's just how we are set up. We aren't a hoofball team, and I think that's where the problem is where corners are concerned.

That said, I'd rather free flowing goals - a la Butterfield today - than have to rely on goals from set pieces and long balls.

7 minutes ago, AnimalisaRam said:

I think the only thing you could argue the defence needs to do more this season, is score a few more goals..

.. but then I think that comes as a result of how ineffective we are from corners. And that's just how we are set up. We aren't a hoofball team, and I think that's where the problem is where corners are concerned.

That said, I'd rather free flowing goals - a la Butterfield today - than have to rely on goals from set pieces and long balls.

Not that ineffective from corners...2 goals in 2 games from them

I actually had Shackell as Mom yesterday. He used the ball simply and effectively and never missed a thing in the air all game. He also appeared to give Thorne a right b*****ing just after he'd got booked . Together with Keogh the centre of our defence is looking strong, and when the game allows gives the full backs confidence to push on and do their bit up the lines. For me he is the step change to our defending this year that is making a such a difference. I can't remember feeling remotely nervous once yesterday when Rotherham got near our goal .

This back four will do for me every time and should one of them have a run of poor form we have more than enough in reserve for someone to slot in seamlessly. 

Once again, calm down. Am I blaming JR for anything? Am I suggesting he be transferred? 

No. All I am saying is that I personally find him frustrating on the ball and he occupies a place I would be looking to strenghten. Am I being negative? Am I upset after yesterday's performance? No, however you may wish to paint it.

Am I too fond of rhetorical questions? Maybe.

Personally i think our quality squad depth is what will send us up as champions. Hopefully we add one or two in January and as ive said before I am 100% convinced we go up and as champs. Others will struggle with a couple of key injuries. We can cover all positions.

3 hours ago, Hector was the best said:

Great win and we are on a fantastic run, but we need to be more clinical with our finishing, we could have scored 6 today.

I some games we will have to make sure we put away more of the chances we create. ie against the teams around us 

Luck plays a part too. The two which struck the bar and the Weimann effort cleared off the line could all have been goals (ignoring causality, of course) - tiny margins aren't always just down to 'clinical finishing'.

23 minutes ago, eddie said:

Luck plays a part too. The two which struck the bar and the Weimann effort cleared off the line could all have been goals (ignoring causality, of course) - tiny margins aren't always just down to 'clinical finishing'.

Swings and roundabouts really, another day Butterfield's doesn't go in but Russell's does. 

15 hours ago, drgoodspeak said:

Agreed. Only weak link for me now is Russell.

Really? He's been one of our best players this year, The Rotherham fans i spoke to afterwards thought Russell and Butterfield were our best players yesterday.

17 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Johnny russell sets the tempo and the workrate

he's superb for us at the moment.

And he went right into the North Stand to console a young fan who he had just hit from a shot during the pre-match warm up, giving him his training top. He seems a really excellent chap as well as being one of our stars in the team.

2 hours ago, ValeRam said:

And he went right into the North Stand to console a young fan who he had just hit from a shot during the pre-match warm up, giving him his training top. He seems a really excellent chap as well as being one of our stars in the team.

Git didn't do that for me when he hurt my leg at Burton.

I've gone right off him now. I was very brave too and didn't cry much

Still makes me smile thinking about the comments regarding our defence on the Wolves forum before we played them

They said that Carson, Christie, Keogh, Shackell and Forsyth are diabolical and that not one of those players would get into their sides.

Currently how many players from other defences would you replace for ours? A few, but not many.

12 hours ago, Kernow said:

Still makes me smile thinking about the comments regarding our defence on the Wolves forum before we played them

They said that Carson, Christie, Keogh, Shackell and Forsyth are diabolical and that not one of those players would get into their sides.

Currently how many players from other defences would you replace for ours? A few, but not many.

My favourite part is that Wolves currently sit in the bottom half of the league defensively. 

I'd not replace Shackell or Keogh with anyone in the division, and Forsyth and Christie are certainly performing as two of the better fullbacks in the division. 

13 hours ago, Kernow said:

In fairness, three members of that back four played at wolves last year and were poor.

Christie and keogh were turned inside out for the first goal - a shot which went through keogh's legs before grant actually managed to jump over the ball and let the shot go straight under him. 

And the second goal still gives me nightmares: Forsyth skied a simple clearance before grant punched it into his own net.

it just shows what a difference shackell and carson have made.

Keogh and christie are transformed, and fozzy has also improved defensively since last march.

5 hours ago, RamNut said:

In fairness, three members of that back four played at wolves last year and were poor.

Christie and keogh were turned inside out for the first goal - a shot which went through keogh's legs before grant actually managed to jump over the ball and let the shot go straight under him. 

And the second goal still gives me nightmares: Forsyth skied a simple clearance before grant punched it into his own net.

it just shows what a difference shackell and carson have made.

Keogh and christie are transformed, and fozzy has also improved defensively since last march.

I know it was poor, but we also beat them 5-0 and without looking it up I expect a few of their defence from that day is still about.

They based their opinion on our defence from one game last season and not the entire campaign this year which has seen us be one of the most solid sides in the league.

Only Leeds & Wolves have put more than 1 goal past us.

Archived