The Doc

Bridgford Ram

He's not died (that I know to).  I was looking at his wiki page today and couldn't believe how he got the Man Utd and then Derby jobs.  I am too you to remember but how is he remembered by Derby fans at the time?  Fondly?

Summary of his record from wiki;

Chelsea 61-67 Resigned

Rotherham 67-68 - Resigned

QPR 68 - Resigned after 28 days

Aston Villa 68-70 - Sacked when bottom of D2

Porto 70-71 - Resigned

Hull Asst Man

Scotland 71-72

Man Utd 72-77 - Sacked - Won FA cup, Relegated to D2

Derby 77-79 - Resigned

QPR 79-80 - Sacked twice

Was he any good anywhere?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was most successful I suppose at Manure when they beat highly fancied Liverpool (who were going for the unprecended treble at the time) in the FA Cup in 1977.

Had a good team then but was sacked for nobbing the physios wife. Who knows what he might have gone on to achieve there....

Mozzas right he was crap for us. Selling good players and bringing in a collection of has-beens and nver heard-ofs from Ireland. Presumably to give him some drinking buddies.

Story goes that he turned up to training at Derby wearing a man u tracksuit. What a ****. The swear filter is going to block that, but yes, that was the worst word in the world. ****. ****. ****.

I never really got how some people were chuffed when Thatcher died...with that ****, I'll be raising a glass though. 

he was the reason I got rid of my season ticket, I returned the season after he left. He was on a cruise I was on a couple of years ago as a "celebrity" guest, don't know what he said I refused to go and see him. Legend in his own lunchtime.

12 hours ago, needles said:

Story goes that he turned up to training at Derby wearing a man u tracksuit. What a ****. The swear filter is going to block that, but yes, that was the worst word in the world. ****. ****. ****.

I never really got how some people were chuffed when Thatcher died...with that ****, I'll be raising a glass though. 

What a dilemma, who to hate most, Thatcher or the Doc?

One ****** my country up and the other ****** my football club up.

9 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

The eternal club vs country debate Utch. :lol:

On 29 October 2015 01:15:24, Bridgford Ram said:

He's not died (that I know to).  I was looking at his wiki page today and couldn't believe how he got the Man Utd and then Derby jobs.  I am too you to remember but how is he remembered by Derby fans at the time?  Fondly?

Summary of his record from wiki;

Chelsea 61-67 Resigned

Rotherham 67-68 - Resigned

QPR 68 - Resigned after 28 days

Aston Villa 68-70 - Sacked when bottom of D2

Porto 70-71 - Resigned

Hull Asst Man

Scotland 71-72

Man Utd 72-77 - Sacked - Won FA cup, Relegated to D2

Derby 77-79 - Resigned

QPR 79-80 - Sacked twice

Was he any good anywhere?

Barclays banker......

I'm with Needles on this. I shall open a bottle of something special when he goes.  We've had the best managers in the business in our club and some that were (to put it very kindly) cheap and available.  But not a single one of them other than Docherty screwed us right royally.  Can't stand him.  Remember that when 5 live celebrate the passing of a legend of the game with an hour long special.

And Mick Coop.  I know that's off topic but just wanted to remind everyone what a useless, non-trying waste of space he was too

Just stumbled on this & I didn't know some of it. I'm glad I was too young to be aware of it at the time.

FUNNY what memories an old poster can stir. Old Bemrosian Trevor Carson has lived in Spain these past 40 years but he still follows the ups and downs of Derby County.

This week he emailed: “A friend has given me a poster of a pre-season tournament held in Madrid in the 1970s. I was there and the Rams didn’t win – one doesn’t forget such things. I also have a feeling that Tommy Docherty was the manager and breaking up a great team.”

Trevor is spot-on. The date was August 1978 and the competition was the four-team Trofeo Villa de Madrid.

The Rams lost 2-1 to Atlético Madrid and in the third-fourth-place play-off drew 2-2 with Rayo Vallecano (both Rams goals from Bruce Rioch) before losing on penalties.

As regards Trevor’s memories of Tommy Docherty, after replacing Colin Murphy in September 1977, the Doc’s first season saw Gerry Daly transfer-listed “for messing us about”, and Bruce Rioch fined two weeks’ wages and transfer-listed following a blazing public row with the manager. Rioch was forgiven and the suspension was halved.

In 1978-79, the Rams again managed to make more headlines off the field than they did on it, and most of the controversy again surrounded Tommy Docherty, who was suspended for seven days by the club in November following his admission that he had lied under oath during a libel hearing he’d brought against Willie Morgan and Granada TV.

When he sold Colin Todd to Everton for £330,000 in September, it was his 30th transfer deal since taking over at Derby a year earlier. In that time he had sold 16 players for an estimated £1m and bought 14 in for around £1.25m.

Docherty did not stop there. Gerry Ryan went to Brighton for £80,000. Earlier in the season he had sold Terry Curran to Southampton, for £60,000, and Don Masson returned to Notts County for free. He had brought Newcastle defender Aiden McCaffery for £45,000, Notts County forward Steve Carter, and then paid Spurs £150,000 for their Scottish striker, John Duncan.

Defender Vic Moreland and forward Billy Caskey came from Glentoran, and Jonathan Clark, a young Welsh midfielder with a reputation for immense potential, from Manchester United.

Still the Docherty transfer saga went on. In December, Leicester’s gutsy defender David Webb, the former Chelsea star, came to the Baseball Ground for £12,000, and Cliftonville midfield player Barney Bowers became another Docherty signing. In the New Year it was Roy Greenwood from Sunderland, and then Steve Wicks from Chelsea. Wicks cost the Rams £275,000.

Meanwhile, Charlie George went to Southampton – the Rams board blocked a move to Forest – and Bruce Rioch was loaned to Birmingham City and then Sheffield United.

Still controversy raged at the Baseball Ground. Daly was transfer-listed and then suspended for two weeks, only for the Football League to tell Derby that the suspension was illegal. Then Docherty’s assistant, Frank Blunstone, was fined £500 for allegedly making an illegal approach to Dundee United’s international defender David Narey in an airport lounge.

A dreadful run in the second half of the season saw the Rams finish 19th, six points clear of relegation. Docherty quipped: “When I go into the dressing-room these days, I have to ask who is playing today, and as they go out say, ‘Good luck – whoever you are.’”

He might have thought that was funny; Derby County supporters wept at the dismantling of their great club.

On the eve of the 1979 FA Cup Final, Docherty announced that he was returning to Queens Park Rangers, the club he had served for 28 days some 11 years earlier. Most Rams fans were glad to see the back of him.

On 10/30/2015, 12:18:37, needles said:

The eternal club vs country debate Utch. :lol:

Another Hajduk side splitter, needles.

Why does your emoticon work and mine does not? I am feeling quite emoticonal about this.

Only a win tonight can make up for it.

On 30 October 2015 00:07:55, uttoxram75 said:

Hmm... UK seems to have recovered from whatever Mrs thatch is sposed to have done but I don't think Derby have ever  recovered from dochertys spell in charge. Now Gordon brown on the other hand.... A walking disaster area. But still, Tommy doc was a bullshitting **** who ****** up Derby big time. He gets my vote for worst manager Derby have ever had and that's saying something. 

Archived