Left Back - Paul Clement's Problem Position

PodgeyRam

Hello, it's my first post in a while - turns out it's hard to write match reports when you cannot see the match! I eagerly await our next match on Sky. Anyhow, I noticed that Left Back is the only position really that no player has really made their own this season and I wondered why this is. I may not have found out why, but here's some opinions on it anyway:

http://viewfromtheweststand.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/left-back-clements-problem-position.html

Feel free to browse at your will or not if you don't want to. The general gist is: Forsyth suits our team far more than Warnock, both in terms of attacking intent and defensive reliability.

Would you agree with that?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it's am issue for PC.  I think he just likes picking horses for courses.  He likes Warnock when he wants to be a little more solid, and Forsyth when he knows we can gamble a little more.  I think it's taken a little while for both players to gt used to the fact but now, when either of them comes in, they do their jobs as expected.

I don't think it's am issue for PC.  I think he just likes picking horses for courses.  He likes Warnock when he wants to be a little more solid, and Forsyth when he knows we can gamble a little more.  I think it's taken a little while for both players to gt used to the fact but now, when either of them comes in, they do their jobs as expected.

I agree, I also wouldn't be surprised to see PC play Baird instead of Christie when we are away to one of the other teams at the top of the table.

I don't think it's a problem position either. It would be interesting to see Warnocks/Fozys average positioning after the games they've played because if anything I think we're much more rigid as a back 4, with Warnock in, with less marauding runs. Seems to be a more steady approach to games with Warnock, which hasn't been a disaster with only one loss on the board as of yet. 

Personally prefer Fozzy, better defending, better attacking play too but he does leave those gaps that Warnock might not. I'd rather us take the risk and have Forsyth in, especially as his current form is pretty good. 

I also think we're taking on PC's wants and needs as a team which we weren't doing at the start of the season. It's taken time but players are finding their feet and we're looking more like a team as the weeks go by. We've reached that point where it looks like we're comfortable to have two fullbacks that bomb on constantly. 

I can see the sense in having an attacking left back and a more defensively minded player for different matches. I think that Forsyth does the job as the attacking player - if only he could learn to pass he'd be the best in the division. Unfortunately, Warnock appears to me to be completely inadequate as the defensive option. He is a very poor player and wouldn't even make the bench if I were picking the team. Forsyth is better than him defensively, so when the tactics dictate a more cautious approach, I'd just tell Fozzy to keep position, rather than bomb on. And in January I'd look to bring in a new left back to do the 'Warnock' role...but one who could run, tackle, mark and play with some intelligence

I can see the sense in having an attacking left back and a more defensively minded player for different matches. I think that Forsyth does the job as the attacking player - if only he could learn to pass he'd be the best in the division. Unfortunately, Warnock appears to me to be completely inadequate as the defensive option. He is a very poor player and wouldn't even make the bench if I were picking the team. Forsyth is better than him defensively, so when the tactics dictate a more cautious approach, I'd just tell Fozzy to keep position, rather than bomb on. And in January I'd look to bring in a new left back to do the 'Warnock' role...but one who could run, tackle, mark and play with some intelligence

Ashley Cole :p

Archived