January Transfer Suggestion Thread

needles

7 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

I love these positive contributions - no wonder we're 2nd in the table and 4 points clear of our nearest challengers!

It's about finding a balance I suppose. We are doing very well but I would agree with Bulliebeef that 2 new fullbacks and cover for Martin (if they could play out wide too it would be a bonus) would upgrade our weakest areas. 

If you stand still you go backwards.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finishing top would be a lot more memorable that finishing second or sliding back into the play offs.

unfortunately lee grant howlers could cost us if carson is out for some time and if what we saw at leeds is a prelude to the sort of errors that he started making at this time last year, then its time to act. Grant isn't going to get any better. Time to bring in the best keeper we can lay our hands on or we risk dropping points ? - which would be a real shame given our otherwise superb defensive record.

daniel bentley from southend is a good low risk / low cost option.

aged 22. Played over 120 games. Set records for the number of clean sheets.

he's out of contract in the summer and refuses to sign a new contract because southend blocked his £1.25m move to qpr in the summer.

we could even offer roos in part- ex which could be good for both parties. Could cost @ £600k bearing in mind he is a freebie in the summer?

this would give us an alternative contender for cover. Nothing to lose. If he's better than grant, then lee can subsequently go out on loan.

2 hours ago, sage said:

It's about finding a balance I suppose. We are doing very well but I would agree with Bulliebeef that 2 new fullbacks and cover for Martin (if they could play out wide too it would be a bonus) would upgrade our weakest areas. 

If you stand still you go backwards.

True about standing still but don't agree about which positions need strengthening. Given the strength of the squad, a winger who would be a definite improvement on Weimann and Russell could make the difference between a playoff position and a comfortable top 2.

Not convinced either of them are totally suited to playing out wide and we don't have fullbacks who's strong point is overlapping consistently with quality crosses as the end product. Christie can do the first bit but is let down more often than not by his final ball whilst Warnock is superb defensively but doesn't have the pace in the attacking half of the pitch - this is where we miss Fozzy.

8 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

True about standing still but don't agree about which positions need strengthening. Given the strength of the squad, a winger who would be a definite improvement on Weimann and Russell could make the difference between a playoff position and a comfortable top 2.

Not convinced either of them are totally suited to playing out wide and we don't have fullbacks who's strong point is overlapping consistently with quality crosses as the end product. Christie can do the first bit but is let down more often than not by his final ball whilst Warnock is superb defensively but doesn't have the pace in the attacking half of the pitch - this is where we miss Fozzy.

You mainly agree with me. Ie full backs.

I would suggest that you would like a winger while I would someone who could do 2 jobs unless we sell someone (in addition to Dawkins) as 4 new players (net) would be too big an addition to the squad. 

I'm getting more optimistic that we can play with Bent up top. Spells against Brizzle, plus last night, we played some very good stuff, and the North Stand crossbar is still rattling from that shot against Fulham so we know he still knows where the goal is. He'll do fine for me if he's happy to be a bit part player.

12 minutes ago, needles said:

I'm getting more optimistic that we can play with Bent up top. Spells against Brizzle, plus last night, we played some very good stuff, and the North Stand crossbar is still rattling from that shot against Fulham so we know he still knows where the goal is. He'll do fine for me if he's happy to be a bit part player.

I'm afraid I would have to disagree. I can't see how we can play with Bent in the side. He is not a forward who comes looking for the ball, he doesn't have a trick to beat a player and he is longer quick enough onto a ball over the top. To make the most of him, you have to play slide rule passes beyond the defence and that's hard, especially when teams lie deep against us. 

He looks out of touch and his miss against Fulham was poor. I know it rattled the bar but he was only six yards out and that's supposed to be his bread and butter. 

I think we need a quick striker in the transfer window.

32 minutes ago, sage said:

You mainly agree with me. Ie full backs.

I would suggest that you would like a winger while I would someone who could do 2 jobs unless we sell someone (in addition to Dawkins) as 4 new players (net) would be too big an addition to the squad. 

Nope! Happy with the fullbacks we have - just have a front 3 of Ince, Martin & new winger, with Butterfield & Johnson supporting.

4 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Nope! Happy with the fullbacks we have - just have a front 3 of Ince, Martin & new winger, with Butterfield & Johnson supporting.

ah..you were pointing out our full backs don't overlap well to explain why we need a new winger. Get you now.

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

I'm afraid I would have to disagree. I can't see how we can play with Bent in the side. He is not a forward who comes looking for the ball, he doesn't have a trick to beat a player and he is longer quick enough onto a ball over the top. To make the most of him, you have to play slide rule passes beyond the defence and that's hard, especially when teams lie deep against us. 

He looks out of touch and his miss against Fulham was poor. I know it rattled the bar but he was only six yards out and that's supposed to be his bread and butter. 

I think we need a quick striker in the transfer window.

I'd have agreed three weeks ago. Now I start to think we can make it work. The team play has been good with Benty in.

Just thought I'd throw some ideas out there - it sounds like we might be getting this Razza bloke as a new winger, so I won't make any suggestions there. At left back, we need cover as Baird can't do it. Chilwell would be good, but may be unlikely. Tamas Kadar has been excelling with Hungary in Europe and at Lech Poznan, and he was brought up through the Newcastle ranks (was supposed to be a bit of a wonderkid) hence, I don't think there'd be a language barrier. He's quick, strong and would be a good addition. 

Lee Grant is quite frankly a liability, and though he seems like a decent guy, he seems to make too many wrong decisions. A newer, younger goalkeeper should be on the cards. As previously mentioned, maybe Roos in part exchange.

I suggest that somebody camps outside Moor Farm tomorrow night to get that first scoop hot off the press.

Then when there's no unveiling press conference at 9:00 am on Saturday morning, the board can go into meltdown like it normally does.

1 hour ago, Rampage said:

Anyone got a drone with camera for Xmas? This is your chance.:D

The Memsahib has been droning on about my drinking - she hasn't stopped all bloody year (ok, that's 54 minutes so far).

Does that count?

10 hours ago, eddie said:

The Memsahib has been droning on about my drinking - she hasn't stopped all bloody year (ok, that's 54 minutes so far).

Does that count?

She must have a camera to be considered though, eddie.

Newsflash:- Flying at about 50 feet is not essential but would be looked upon favourably at the interview. 

It might be hard to convince Marwin Hintz to drop from Bundesliga to Championship, but would be worth a try... after all, he plays for Augsburg who always have chance to get relegated. And as bonus, he is Swiss and we have Zuberbühler.

Archived