Advice on following England at the Euro's

WamRam

Somehow me and 3 mates managed to get 16 tickets to 4 different games at next summers Euro's. Obviously we don't know what teams we're seeing until the draw.

We want to get travel and hotels booked before the draw to try and get the cheapest price possible and whilst rooms are still available.

We have a group game in both Lens & Paris. A last 16 in Paris & a Q/F in Marseille. We're not too bothered if these aren't England games it's just a bonus if they are! But we will apply for England tickets after the draw (which will be a nightmare if we've already booked hotels etc..)

Anyone on here been to a tournament before and could help us out?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dont forget to let us know when you have your tickets and what your travel arrangements are. 

It's already done (travel arrangements) but will be applying tickets from December onwards. :) 

we went for a month to France for the world cup in 98 and stayed in between Marseille and Toulouse on the coast on a camp ground, it was heaven....beautiful weather, cheap wine and football every day.

Ignore what anyone tells you about Marseille, it is a bit of a dump, but not scary at all, no worse than Derby on a Saturday night.

My advice would be to go to as many games as you can, there will be loads of tickets around the stadiums, we went to loads Holland, Argentina, Columbia, Brazil, France and of course England games. 

Somehow me and 3 mates managed to get 16 tickets to 4 different games at next summers Euro's. Obviously we don't know what teams we're seeing until the draw.

We want to get travel and hotels booked before the draw to try and get the cheapest price possible and whilst rooms are still available.

We have a group game in both Lens & Paris. A last 16 in Paris & a Q/F in Marseille. We're not too bothered if these aren't England games it's just a bonus if they are! But we will apply for England tickets after the draw (which will be a nightmare if we've already booked hotels etc..)

Cheapest places to stay are student dormitories. Those are changed to "hostel", so at least there's a bed... Should be able to book group too, not sure as I travel to tournaments alone.

Stay out of Turkey's ultras way and you'll be fine!

Don't stop in hostels.....in Europe, especially France and Germany Hostels are always around the same price as a hotel and you will get a room full of sweaty feet and lights going on and off all night... either camp or use a hotel.

We used some great Air b n b in the south of France when we lived there, if you are planning on going near Nice and Monaco?

• 3 months later...
On 23 October 2015 at 14:48, WamRam said:

What games is it the tickets you got? And also did you managed to find somewhere decent to stay? I'm still waiting for UEFA to take the payment for the tickets I applied. Could be tomorrow or Friday (I bet it'll be on Monday) all other countries already got their payments done apart from ROI us and Belgium (I think) 

15 hours ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

What games is it the tickets you got? And also did you managed to find somewhere decent to stay? I'm still waiting for UEFA to take the payment for the tickets I applied. Could be tomorrow or Friday (I bet it'll be on Monday) all other countries already got their payments done apart from ROI us and Belgium (I think) 

Unbelievably we had B1vsB3, which is England-Wales! Also got Portugal vs. Austria in Paris then a RD16 game in Paris and QF in Marseille. Applied for a few more, Inc. winner of B in Paris as we'll be there anyway and will hopefully be England

I got an email saying they'll start taking payments from Monday.

Accommodation wise, over the two trips for a hotel in Lille, 2 stays at the 'Peace & Love' Hostel in Paris and a couple of nights in Lyon cost around £360.

Brought an 8-day inter-rail pass to get around...not cheap is it this England lark!

54 minutes ago, WamRam said:

Unbelievably we had B1vsB3, which is England-Wales! Also got Portugal vs. Austria in Paris then a RD16 game in Paris and QF in Marseille. Applied for a few more, Inc. winner of B in Paris as we'll be there anyway and will hopefully be England

Accommodation wise, over the two trips for a hotel in Lille, 2 stays at the 'Peace & Love' Hostel in Paris and a couple of nights in Lyon cost around £360.

Brought an 8-day inter-rail pass to get around...not cheap is it this England lark!

Lille is really nice. It's more Belgian than French so they're not really snippy about whether you're a rosbif or not. Lens is absolutely tiny. Don't get fooled because of the size of the stadium. There are a few decent bars on the main street, but not much else.

4 hours ago, WamRam said:

Nice, Lens was great for France '98, they tried to make it a "dry city" when we came over, but that didn't work out too well for them.!

For Marsielle, as you will have found out with googling around, it is a bit of a dump and there will no doubt be trouble down there, just keep away from the port are and you will be totally fine, the city itself is ok and I have to say we had a ball down there.

Lyon is a great great city, really cool place and the locals are really nice.

Enjoy the trip and make sure you bring home the cup!

Archived