Advice on following England at the Euro's

WamRam

57 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Nice, Lens was great for France '98, they tried to make it a "dry city" when we came over, but that didn't work out too well for them.!

For Marsielle, as you will have found out with googling around, it is a bit of a dump and there will no doubt be trouble down there, just keep away from the port are and you will be totally fine, the city itself is ok and I have to say we had a ball down there.

Lyon is a great great city, really cool place and the locals are really nice.

Enjoy the trip and make sure you bring home the cup!

That was the main reason for staying in Lyon for 2 nights that we didn't want to spend too long in Marseille and it's pretty much on the way from Paris. Were just staying there the one night after the game then flying home!

Cheers, Muespach!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We got loads of tickets, but opted for a more streamlined approach of only doing 4 games in around 2 weeks. 

France v Romania opening game in Paris, train to Marseille the next morning for England v Russia, staying a couple of nights near Cassis. Then onwards to Lyon for a few days taking in Belgium v Italy before heading north again to Lens for England v Wales.

If anyone fancies going to Austria v Hungary in Bordeaux or Poland v Ukraine in Marseille then i've got 4 category 3 tickets for both of those games for sale. Face value plus postage.

1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

We got loads of tickets, but opted for a more streamlined approach of only doing 4 games in around 2 weeks. 

France v Romania opening game in Paris, train to Marseille the next morning for England v Russia, staying a couple of nights near Cassis. Then onwards to Lyon for a few days taking in Belgium v Italy before heading north again to Lens for England v Wales.

If anyone fancies going to Austria v Hungary in Bordeaux or Poland v Ukraine in Marseille then i've got 4 category 3 tickets for both of those games for sale. Face value plus postage.

Bordeaux in 1998 was brilliant. We based ourselves in Arcechon (sp), a seaside town 30 mins south of the city with loads of small bars and a beach.

Cheap beer, cheap food and sunshine. France was a fantastic World cup, I hope you all enjoy it. 

17 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

Bordeaux in 1998 was brilliant. We based ourselves in Arcechon (sp), a seaside town 30 mins south of the city with loads of small bars and a beach.

Cheap beer, cheap food and sunshine. France was a fantastic World cup, I hope you all enjoy it. 

yep, definitely best World Cup experience I have ever had. We went on the south coast, neat Toulouse, it was fantastic, great cheap food and a case of biere blonde every day by the pool...Magical...I certainly never thought I would be living there in the future....shme the cost of living has sky rocketed recently, still a great place to go to drink and eat and watch football.

46 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

yep, definitely best World Cup experience I have ever had. We went on the south coast, neat Toulouse, it was fantastic, great cheap food and a case of biere blonde every day by the pool...Magical...I certainly never thought I would be living there in the future....shme the cost of living has sky rocketed recently, still a great place to go to drink and eat and watch football.

Couldn't wait to get out of Paris after the tournament opener. I found the Brazil fans to be arrogant rich knobs and Paris didnt really feel like a football mad city. 

Bordeaux and St Ettiene were totally different. The locals were so welcoming.

Cant believe how stupid uefa are to have the next tournament accross various countries. No thought for the fans at all. Typical heads up their own arses.

My one regret was not going to Italia 90. My collage grant couldnt quite stretch to a fortnight in Liguria......

Russia and Qatar.... give me strength. 

6 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

Couldn't wait to get out of Paris after the tournament opener. I found the Brazil fans to be arrogant rich knobs and Paris didnt really feel like a football mad city. 

Bordeaux and St Ettiene were totally different. The locals were so welcoming.

Cant believe how stupid uefa are to have the next tournament accross various countries. No thought for the fans at all. Typical heads up their own arses.

My one regret was not going to Italia 90. My collage grant couldnt quite stretch to a fortnight in Liguria......

Russia and Qatar.... give me strength. 

Paris is generally full of rich arrogant knobs that are always better to stay clear of.

St Ettiene and Lens were both great, I have to say that the notoriety of England fans made for a less than warm welcome in Marseille and Montpeliier but this just added to the fun....we were camping opposite a load of Denmark fans which was a great laugh.

I remember a local coming into the main bar in Montpellier which was full of English and he had 4 tickets for the Toulouse game which had been hard to come by, he got a big crowd around him and then started asking for an auction to see how much he could get for them. This Boro fan asked me if I had a ticket, I did, but my mate didn't, so he said no worries he would get him one.....He told the guy he would take all 4 off him for a few hundred over the asking price, the local was delighted, went outside to do get them and do the deal.....needless to say, the Boro fan got the tickets and somehow forgot to pay the local...!

Loads of great stories like that from the trip.....like....

We drove over straight from work on a Friday, 4 of us, my mate had a company car so the diesel was free which was great, he picked us all up, we had taken food with us to keep us alive on the 24 hour drive to Montpellier and we had a handwritten sheet of paper that said, Calais-South-Lyon-Montpellier, no need for Sat Nav you see. My mate drove, we hadn't reached Leicester when we had eaten everything we had packed. We went on the tunnel which was pretty cool at the time, and I drove from Calais because I had driven in Europe before on a scooter so I was the most experienced. The deal was we were going to share the driving and I was going to wake them up when I got tired. After 7 hours or so I woke one of them up and we swapped over and I settled in to sleep, I was woken with a start as we hit the rumble strips on the side of the road and the lad driving was asleep....so we swapped back again...he had been driving 8 minutes...I drove all the way there in the end.

3 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

9 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Paris is generally full of rich arrogant knobs that are always better to stay clear of.

St Ettiene and Lens were both great, I have to say that the notoriety of England fans made for a less than warm welcome in Marseille and Montpeliier but this just added to the fun....we were camping opposite a load of Denmark fans which was a great laugh.

I remember a local coming into the main bar in Montpellier which was full of English and he had 4 tickets for the Toulouse game which had been hard to come by, he got a big crowd around him and then started asking for an auction to see how much he could get for them. This Boro fan asked me if I had a ticket, I did, but my mate didn't, so he said no worries he would get him one.....He told the guy he would take all 4 off him for a few hundred over the asking price, the local was delighted, went outside to do get them and do the deal.....needless to say, the Boro fan got the tickets and somehow forgot to pay the local...!

Loads of great stories like that from the trip.....like....

We drove over straight from work on a Friday, 4 of us, my mate had a company car so the diesel was free which was great, he picked us all up, we had taken food with us to keep us alive on the 24 hour drive to Montpellier and we had a handwritten sheet of paper that said, Calais-South-Lyon-Montpellier, no need for Sat Nav you see. My mate drove, we hadn't reached Leicester when we had eaten everything we had packed. We went on the tunnel which was pretty cool at the time, and I drove from Calais because I had driven in Europe before on a scooter so I was the most experienced. The deal was we were going to share the driving and I was going to wake them up when I got tired. After 7 hours or so I woke one of them up and we swapped over and I settled in to sleep, I was woken with a start as we hit the rumble strips on the side of the road and the lad driving was asleep....so we swapped back again...he had been driving 8 minutes...I drove all the way there in the end.

Brilliant times.

We had the train journey from hell home. Archechon to Bordeaux to paris to waterloo to kings x to Edinburgh to Aberdeen. Set off early morning and got home around midnight. Torture.....

My mates wife worked with ba, and as a leaving present at Aberdeen station she gave us a carrier bag full of airplane miniatures. Vodka, whiskey,gin, rum, the lot. We were 3 sheets by the border. 

Cant believe thats the last tournament we qualified for. 

10 hours ago, WamRam said:

Unbelievably we had B1vsB3, which is England-Wales! Also got Portugal vs. Austria in Paris then a RD16 game in Paris and QF in Marseille. Applied for a few more, Inc. winner of B in Paris as we'll be there anyway and will hopefully be England

I got an email saying they'll start taking payments from Monday.

Accommodation wise, over the two trips for a hotel in Lille, 2 stays at the 'Peace & Love' Hostel in Paris and a couple of nights in Lyon cost around £360.

Brought an 8-day inter-rail pass to get around...not cheap is it this England lark!

Brilliant stuff. I'm staying in Lyon for the tournament so you may able to see my flag out there. :) 

Archived