40 years ago today

Carl Sagan

We beat Real Madrid 4-1 in the European Cup with a Charlie George hattrick: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Video-Watch-highlights-Derby-County-s-famous-4-1/story-28034674-detail/story.html

I was there as a nipper in the Ossie upper. My dad was so cross about the goal we conceded and said it would cost us. But what a night. Let's have a roll call. Who else made it to the Baseball Ground for that fabulous night?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

me too

I recall wasn't one of their guys sent off for an off the ball incident in the penalty area?  Free kick was given where the ball was, not a peno.  BBC picked on it as important but we were so happy I couldn't see how we could lose from that position!  I also thought the score had flattered us somewhat.  Still can't believe we let it slip, if that was now they would be investigating betting actiuvity

I was there, I remember we were late getting there and my father parked right by a junction and didn't leave his lights on, he got a ticket for his troubles. We got in the ossie just on kick off and was stuck at the back struggling to see what was happening. It was worth it, just for the atmosphere. We stopped after and got the Real Madrid autographs as they got on the coach. 

I went right at the front Ossie end cant see myself on the video though.I remember 3 goals were scored at Normanton end and Charlie got 1 pen at Ossie end.

Also Stuart Webb doubled price of tickets it cost £1.50 for a childs ticket instead of 75P.

Still got ticket framed with a signed photo of Charlie scoring his first goal

I was there. 15 years old and on the Popside Vulcan Street.

Watching Charlie that night was magical...we were reigning League Champions and smashing the most famous team in the world.

I thought it was always going to be like that!

Yeah I was 15 as well and I thought it would be the same every season !

I was a few years younger. My old man tried to tell me I had to enjoy these times as it wouldn't always be like this, and I thought he was mad. We were the best team in the country by a country mile and there seemed no reason for it not to last!

Archived