Assuming that they are at the top of their game, which Rams players are potential Premiership material?

Rampage

Agree with mcsilks, but will also add that it's impossible to tell. Style and systems are just as important.

I think Chris Martin for instance would be fine playing for us, but put him in Sunderland's team and he'll probably be second choice to Jermain Defoe.

Would you have Jermain Defoe here? I certainly wouldn't, as like Darren Bent, he's not suitable for that lone CF role.

If Aston Villa bought George Thorne and played him in a flat 4-4-2, would he look anywhere near as good?

I've seen on a number of occasions poor players survive in the PL due to being part of a decent team. That Reading side of 2006/07 featured players like Stephen Hunt and Leroy Lita who possessed zero technical ability.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

35 games to go, and if we get the kind of performances from yesterday in  most of them, then we'll get the chance to find out. Until that point, I don't really care to be honest.

Shack ell did ok for burnnley.  But norwich got rid of Johnson straigjtaway they got into the Prem. Ince hasn't done it in the prem. Martin hasn't either altho he's a better player now. Thorne Looks class but he couldn't get into west broms team. Hughes on his day could be aprem player. 

Shack ell did ok for burnnley.  But norwich got rid of Johnson straigjtaway they got into the Prem. Ince hasn't done it in the prem. Martin hasn't either altho he's a better player now. Thorne Looks class but he couldn't get into west broms team. Hughes on his day could be aprem player. 

Thorne was in West Broms team when he injured himself the first time. He went on loan to us to get fitness and fell in love with the mighty rams 

Bradley Johnson has as much prem experience as anyone, he was up there with norwich the last time they went up (looking it up he played 108 games for them in three premier league seasons). Martin never actually got any game time too, so he's not had the chance to show himself. 

Bournemouth, Norwich and Watford are biting the bullet at present but for £130 million who wouldn't want a crack at it. I would like to hear what Shackell thinks about our chances after his experience at Burnley. Is Shackell being very quiet generally?

Uh oh, not this already

Screen_Shot_2015-10-18_at_20.31.44.thumb

18.10.2015 the first day in this season that Rampage thought that we will be promoted this season based on signings and performances.

For me it's more about systems and how the players fit into them rather than the quality of the individual player. The functionality of the team is greater than the quality of any one player. 

For example, if we were to be promoted I'd like to see us replace Forsyth with somebody more comfortable on the ball. However I Also think that Forsyth is good enough to play for a Premiership side that will have lower expectations of him on the ball.  

Was talking to a Norwich fan at the weekend and when I asked him why he thinks they got rid of Johnson he said "brilliant championship player, but he's not good enough for the premier league".

Only time (and promotion) will tell. Perhaps it's just about being at the right club at the right time.

However after last season's catastrophe, I'm not sure we should be talking about the premier league until we're 6 points clear at the top with a +105 goal difference and two games to play. And probably not even then.

Carson

Shackell

Thorne

Johnson

Hughes

Martin

Basically the spine of our team.

Throw in Ince, Russell, Keogh, Forsyth as back up and you've got a decent team to try and survive.

The entire bloody team right now !

Ninos, get some match and player analysis reports on here. You talk a lot of sense. direct question to you Ninos, "How do you explain the improvement in Keogh not including losing the captaincy?. He seems twice as good at times..

It see it seems that most of us are of the same mind. In terms of talent we have the nucleus of a premier league team. The thing that sticks in my mind though is that there are certainly 2 premier leagues and maybe even 3 .. The first are the elite clubs who by dint of resource and reputation see a finish outside the top 6 as a bad season. Relegation isn't even in their DNA. 

Then there are the also rans .. They can cause an upset, play some nice stuff, maybe get a cup run and dream of European football but they fret .. Loose a key player, get the recipe wrong and the are looking over their shoulders .. Then the perennial survivors, made up of  Badly run giants like Newcastle, those that overspend and mess up and the newly promoted hopefuls. Anyone want to speculate where we could be with our current squad ? I think with some tweaks and additions we could be an also rans with a shout at a dream .. Hope so ! 

But my list .. Hughes, Carson, Thorne, Johnson, Ince, Shackle ... The others could be but only as part of a unit of brothers playing for each other and sweating blood

An increasing number of players in our squad are raising their game to get in the team or to stay in it.This can only be good for all concerned. Which of our players could probably play thirty games in a Premiership season and hold their own?

We will see next year...

seriously, it depends on what you mean by hold their own.... I would be disappointed if any of them failed to get into Sunderlands team, but only William could hold down a place in any of the teams in the top 10.

I wonder when the Leicester fans had a discussion 2 years ago about this if anyone would have thought that Vardy would be good enough for the premier league let alone be its top scorer. You just don't know really who's gonna turn it on upstairs but pace is always a plus - wouldn't surprise me if players like Bryson and Russell become our best up there who knows - from what we see now shacks keogh Johnson and Thorne would hold their own  ... 

Archived