Rampant away from home or the iPro a fortress?

robglosta

After our impressive (results-wise, if not for fluency) run of away games and stuttered home form, I thought I might open up the debate on strong away vs strong at home. 

Would you rather the iPro be a fortress, and we look to come away from home with a point? Or do you prefer to see the freedom of the negativity away from home where the players can play a more relaxed style?

The easy answer is 'I have a ST, therefore I want to see us win at home', but I thought it might be useful to discuss the ins and outs of both, given our fantastic run away from home and how it all might impact on us over the course of a season.  

I think I prefer to see cracking performances/results away from home which are often harder to find for most teams.  You would expect to get beat less often at home even if slightly stuttered, so bringing three points home from an away trip just tips it for me (plus I probably go to more away games...).    

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, selfish ST holder. Plus I think even when you do well away from home you still tend to have a tough time of it. It's rare that you absolutely dominate teams as visitors, whereas home form when it really gets going is unstoppable and teams fear you. Every team fancies their chances at home no matter how good you are away from home. So in that respect away form is more likely to fall away on you and leave you with no form at all. If you dominate at home typically, that's a good solid foundation that's easier to keep a hold of. Win at home and draw away as they say.

What's the old adage? Win your home games and draw your away games?

Why not t'other way around? Just because the natives become restless.

I wouldn't call the iPro a fortress yet - but its hardly a sandcastle. We just need to find a way to beat teams (Leeds aside) that have sat so deep they're practically building a pile of bodies on the goal line. With some better luck, we might have beaten Boro and Charlton.

Why not both? You rely on just one and its a play off spot at best (look at clough years, pride park/ipro was a fortress under him but away form was s*#t)

really?? Which season was that?

Sorry, I'll edit this. I did some research. In Clough's 1st full season, we had the 21st Best home defence, the next was 17th, then 10th, and his last full season was 4th. So he had 2 rubbish seasons, one meh season, and then one good home season.

really?? Which season was that?

Sorry, I'll edit this. I did some research. In Clough's 1st full season, we had the 21st Best home defence, the next was 17th, then 10th, and his last full season was 4th. So he had 2 rubbish seasons, one meh season, and then one good home season.

sorry, wasnt very clear. In cloughs last season I should have said. My main point was that the away form was what let the team down in the most part. Look at the like a of Middlesbrough who are generally just as strong away as they are at home

The bigger question is why in this modern age is being at home still such a massive advantage. Bit more understandable that it was harder back in the day when the team might have travelled all day in a rickety old minibus. Is the only real difference is the reaction of the players to the fans.

It's nice in today's megarich and super scientific world that players are only human. Although if I was paying someone 100k a week to play football, I think I'd want them to be able to perform as good away than they do at home.

The bigger question is why in this modern age is being at home still such a massive advantage. Bit more understandable that it was harder back in the day when the team might have travelled all day in a rickety old minibus. Is the only real difference is the reaction of the players to the fans.

It's nice in today's megarich and super scientific world that players are only human. Although if I was paying someone 100k a week to play football, I think I'd want them to be able to perform as good away than they do at home.

That's an interesting question. There are a number of different factors that you would need to take into consideration. Firstly the size of the pitch. Barca's pitch is HUGE which helps them a lot with their passing and to open teams up because there is plenty of space for players to run into. Last night malmo deliberately made their pitch smaller against real madrid so there would be less space for the likes of ronaldo to run into although it didn't end up helping. Secondly, the amount of water that you spray onto the pitch because it helps with slick passing. I noticed that as soon as Mac came in, we started watering the pitch a lot  more before the game and at half time. Having a dry, crumbled pitch is the worse thing to play on as a footballer. Hence, home advantage is still an advantage, although not as much as it was 20 years ago because nowadays teams are more accustomed to soaking up the pressure then playing on the counter attack

This season so far ,in the Championship, there have been 37 home wins and 33 away wins.

So perhaps not such a big advantage.

This season so far ,in the Championship, there have been 37 home wins and 33 away wins.

would be interesting to see this mix over a number of years to see if there is any trend. Anyone got a database of football results? Are there any free opensource ones?

would be interesting to see this mix over a number of years to see if there is any trend. Anyone got a database of football results? Are there any free opensource ones?

According to the Freakonomists, "soccer" has a home win ratio of 60-70% which, as sports go, is huge.  They also think the cause is mostly referee bias rather than any type of "home field"/"own bed" etc. advantage.

According to the Freakonomists, "soccer" has a home win ratio of 60-70% which, as sports go, is huge.  They also think the cause is mostly referee bias rather than any type of "home field"/"own bed" etc. advantage.

could be worth mentioning this to every ref before an away game, just to get in his head.

Archived