DET is dead to me

drgoodspeak

I get the DET every day and have done for over thirty years. I have to say that over the past year the content has deteriorated markedly with dreadful journalism full of adverts. 

Steve Nicholsons articles are now the only reason why I continue to buy it. I think he does a good job and stands out like a beacon in a field of dross. 

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly.

I don't know but I would say the reason you are seeing more aggressive ads on the DET is they are not making as much money. People using ad blockers are destroying sites, it's ok saying the internet is free but the way things are going it won't be free much longer. Instead of ads content will be behind pay walls, imagine having to pay for every site you visit as in the next few years unless something major changes that's what will happen and a lot of sites you love to use will be offline.

Remember years ago, before the internet you paid for newspapers, the content was a day late. Now you get it as it happens within minutes for free, I bet you're not buying newspapers still but expect the content there for free with no ads. 

The DET has gone to far now I agree, found myself with a full screen advert I couldn't even dismiss the other day to view the content which was frustrating. 

The thing is ads are becoming more aggressive because of ad block users, they are killing the internet, trying to cover the losses for those that block ads.

see your point, but seriously, wtf are they doing. There are better ways to implement ads and gain revenue from them. At least google ads chuck up ads that are vaguely relevant. The internet is funded through advertising, and their are shining beacons where people are doing it well. This site does it well, I think. The DET (and their whole family of sister sites) is not doing it well. The advertising is obnoxious and intrusive, and stopping people from using their website at all. 

Speaking of ads, you've got to be making a fortune off that dial a car service thing. The amount of times I accidentally click on it as I'm scrolling back up to the 'new content' link. Not a problem, I just find it funny that all the clicks these advertisers pay for, and a good percentage of them have got to be accidental. As long as it all goes into the pot to sponsor a forest matchball one day. 

I wonder what impact the apple news app will have on online and offline papers.

maybe these news things will all go onto paid for apps. Then you can have free if you endure the ads (like Spotify) or pay and go ad free. 

DET is the worst offender I know. I click and accidentally open an ad then close the whole damn thing as I get angred by it. Or layer upon layer of bad ads come up. 

Worse for me is when you're reading an article and it scrolls as an advert expands somewhere else on the page and you cannot tell if it scrolled up or down, so you have to scroll to the top and find where you'd read up to, then when you regain your place, the page moves again as the ad closes or another one expands!  

I accept ads are part of the free Internet, but when something over takes your whole screen, it is intrusive.  

The rise of the ad blockers started when the ads were normal static banners, people didn't want to see them so more aggressive ads were shown to those without ad block to cover the losses of ad block users. It is funny how those ads are no acceptable.

Lot's of people to blame here, I can't imagine sitting in a boardroom of an advertising office and thinking I know, full screen ads after you enter the website was ever a good idea. Do they not use the internet themselves? I'm equally surprised at companies which pay for these kind of ads and sites that run them. 

If it makes you feel any better all these newspaper websites are just as bad, Grimsby Telegraph as well

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_World

Agree with /profile/2-daveo/">@Daveo's comments about wanting everything for free and the rise of the adblocker. And anyone who knows anything about the newspaper industry must realize they're all on the very edge of going bust right now - the web has been catastrophic for their businesses. Desperate times call for desperate measures and of course the DET (and all its family ofpapers) is desperate and as a result has gone too far with popups, making their sites totally unusable. I have to remember not to click on one of their stories from Newsnow when at work as it simply freezes my computer.

I do run no script on my home machine and that makes the site fine. I view it on my mobile without ad blockers (if I recall) but in Firefox and it's still fine. But from a regular laptop setup you simply can't view it.

But something that annoys me is the breach of copyright when people post the text of full articles on here. What everyone needs to do is post the link and, if they want, a quick summary or a brief extract. Some call this "lazy linking" but in fact it's legal linking. The mods should be instructed to remove any post that gives full text of an article from an another site.

Exactly.

I don't know but I would say the reason you are seeing more aggressive ads on the DET is they are not making as much money. People using ad blockers are destroying sites, it's ok saying the internet is free but the way things are going it won't be free much longer. Instead of ads content will be behind pay walls, imagine having to pay for every site you visit as in the next few years unless something major changes that's what will happen and a lot of sites you love to use will be offline.

Remember years ago, before the internet you paid for newspapers, the content was a day late. Now you get it as it happens within minutes for free, I bet you're not buying newspapers still but expect the content there for free with no ads. 

The DET has gone to far now I agree, found myself with a full screen advert I couldn't even dismiss the other day to view the content which was frustrating. 

The thing is ads are becoming more aggressive because of ad block users, they are killing the internet, trying to cover the losses for those that block ads.

I still buy the DET but you are right Daveo, something has to pay for it all. My own feeling is that we all switch off when bombarded. If there were a few ads that cost the advertisers dear then the ads would be fewer, and wouldn't drive us all barmey and the publication would still get revenue. Sadly it's the way of the world. Lots of everything and it's all cheap and nasty ( got grumpy head on today ) yes the net and websites cost money but a whole lot cheaper than printing presses. And on that subject how much is an Ebook and what are the production costs versus a real book that actually belongs to you .. Grrrrrrrr two sides to every story 

The DET is the same company that does the Burton Mail. I don't read the DET that much but the Burton Mail now puts up stories not even to do with the town - it's all clickbait. The quality of journalism is also down - I don't know how they're staying in business.

Everything on the internet will go to pay to use as ad blockers become the norm.

Adblock plus still lets any advertisers who pay to be white listed through(as long as it conforms to certain standards) and that will lead to the less obtrusive adverts being allowed through. 

Why should a newspaper be needed these days anyway? Increasingly, they are reporting on what is being tweeted, and are not adding value. 

Its not a problem limited to DET, its local news as a whole. Burton Mail website is just as bad. Simple fact is theres not enough local news for a daily paper in every town and city, so they cant be profitable without aggressive monetisation. DET is just padded out with as many stories about DCFC to make up for the lack of anything actually happening locally.

Adblock plus still lets any advertisers who pay to be white listed through(as long as it conforms to certain standards) and that will lead to the less obtrusive adverts being allowed through. 

Why should a newspaper be needed these days anyway? Increasingly, they are reporting on what is being tweeted, and are not adding value. 

Most websites don't have hundreds of thousands ready to bribe the Adblock owners, also not everybody is on Twitter or Facebook so online newspapers still have a place on the internet......if they can stay in business

Archived